Students

Brock Comp Sci vs UOIT Comp Sci

Mar 28, 2017
1 posts

Brock Comp Sci vs UOIT Comp Sci

I got accepted into the Comp Sci - Comprehensive program at UOIT and Honours Comp Sci with Coop at Brock. Trying to decide between the two.

Though I heard more good things about UOIT compared to Brock, I kinda hesitant on picking it. I am currently finishing up a 2-year diploma at community college in Software Engineering. Since the program has a variety of courses, I figured out that I wasn't the biggest fan of database programming, web development or networking. I found I had the most interest in my Computer Architecture course and my Data Structures and Algorithms in C course. From the looks of UOIT, since its comprehensive, the courses cover a range of topics like my community college with more detail. However, I want to focus on one area, or in other words specialize. I want to continue developing the structured thinking that good programmers have. I was interested in learning more mathematics, and from that point of view, Brock offers more than UOIT.

I guess I'm learning towards Brock, especially since its cheaper to live off campus there than the area around UOIT. What would you choose in this situation?

Also, I am waiting on ottawa, ryerson and windsor. Though by the time I receive an update on the admissions, the deadline to accept UOIT will probably be due by then. But for the sake of discussion, if I had the three universities as part of my choices, what would be best university overall for what I want to do?
1 reply
Sep 29, 2008
965 posts
200 upvotes
Mississauga
It doesn't really matter. Most CS programs in Canada have at least 4-5 math courses and your core CS courses. The content covered is pretty standard across the board. Just go where ever you will feel most comfortable, unless it is Waterloo or U of T. I goto Ryerson btw and the program is pretty decent. The professor here for the types of courses you are interested in, Data structures, operating systems is very good. Her name is Denise Woit. As far as work goes in CS it depends a lot on your personal projects and how well you do on technical interviews, most of this you have to do on the side. As far as avoiding databases/networking, you will have to take these courses. Networking utilizes a lot of what you learn in data structures and algorithms so you might grow to tolerate it more. Then there is the distributed systems are which is pretty hot right now. Anyways, good luck with your decision.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)