Students

Brock or Nipissing for teachers college 2015

Mar 6, 2015
3 posts
Mississauga, ON

Brock or Nipissing for teachers college 2015

Nipissing or Brock University?
I have been accepted to both schools for their consecutive education programs (primary/junior level), now its time to make a decision.
Nipissing is known for its great teacher education, and is the only Schulich school of education. Brock is on the hand is A LOT closer to home, and their teaching program seems just as good as Nipissing. I got a $6000 scholarship from Nipissing so that's grabbing me on right about now as well. But it doesn't seem very multicultural. Are there any Nipissing/Brock students that can help me out? Which school is better? Does anyone have any info on the structure of Brock's schedule or placement or residence stuff?
5 replies
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
There is a reason why nobody has posted in this thread so far.

I will ask the question nobody wants to ask.

Are those your only two options?
May 24, 2012
325 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
famme25 wrote: Nipissing or Brock University?
I have been accepted to both schools for their consecutive education programs (primary/junior level), now its time to make a decision.
Nipissing is known for its great teacher education, and is the only Schulich school of education. Brock is on the hand is A LOT closer to home, and their teaching program seems just as good as Nipissing. I got a $6000 scholarship from Nipissing so that's grabbing me on right about now as well. But it doesn't seem very multicultural. Are there any Nipissing/Brock students that can help me out? Which school is better? Does anyone have any info on the structure of Brock's schedule or placement or residence stuff?
Hey, I went to Nipissing and graduated last year (June 2014) from their consecutive ed program. I was in their Intermediate/Senior stream.
The class sizes were very small and intimate, which was a nice change from UofT (where i did my undergrad).
They had a pretty decent job fair where some school boards from all over Canada, and ontario (especially the GTA) came to recruit and provide information. I was actually able to snag a few job opportunities from this fair.
Their career guidance and support staff were accessible and helpful with resume writing, information on job applications, etc.
They also had practicums that started on the first day of school (end of august), which was a good experience to have. It allowed us to see what it was like starting a new school year and how to prepare for it.
Also, they had a pretty diverse list of school boards that you could apply to for your practicums (those in the GTA included). I know that is not the case for all teachers colleges.
Personally, I didn't find their program to be very rigorous (Although this might be a pretty similar consensus among all faculties of ed according to a lot of b.ed grads lol). Most tasks were small and done in groups. At the same time, some assignments were very practical (lesson planning, curriculum understanding, portfolio creation, etc.)
The admin who hire don't care about the name of the faculty you come from. It's more about your qualifications, experiences, and interview skills.
In any case, that 6000 scholarship is also a wonderful bonus!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
famme25 wrote: Nipissing or Brock University?
I too will also ask if those are your only options? Are those your only acceptances so far, and have you applied or are waiting for results from elsewhere?
Mar 6, 2015
3 posts
Mississauga, ON
I've got into others as well. I got into York, uoit, Trent, and Ottawa. Those two were my top choice.
Dec 9, 2013
26 posts
1 upvote
Caledon
famme25 wrote: I've got into others as well. I got into York, uoit, Trent, and Ottawa. Those two were my top choice.
As another future teaching candidate, I have no idea why people are asking you if those are your only options. Im assuming they are not Bed student as they do not realise that Brock is usually deemed as one of the best teachers colleges in the country.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)