Automotive

Broke my car last night; First time leasing/buying a car!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 11:49 pm
Oct 10, 2016
84 posts
8 upvotes
Nissan are pretty cheap on lease nowadays. An altima-sentra would be good. A vw golf could be an option
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1924 posts
188 upvotes
Thornhill
thank you everyone for all the advice and criticisms lol

i was going 120 on the 401 last night and then it just.... gave. honestly, it's been a family car that hasn't been upkept, and it was a little sketchy going on the highway for 3+ hours.

i plan on going with leasing because it's not a long-term purchase, and probably won't need a car within 3 years.

i was looking at another nissan rouge or a similar SUV, and im trying out unhaggle! thank you for the suggestion!!
seems like an easy way of knowing how much is a good deal :0
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1751 posts
189 upvotes
Edmonton
Bencherstyle wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 8:43 pm
thank you everyone for all the advice and criticisms lol

i was going 120 on the 401 last night and then it just.... gave. honestly, it's been a family car that hasn't been upkept, and it was a little sketchy going on the highway for 3+ hours.
doesn't matter if the car runs for 20 minutes or 10 hours, car needs oil and need to be maintained....
The least you could have done was check the dipstick....
CanadaMaple wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:50 pm
OP. How was the vehicle otherwise? If it was well maintained and in good shape, maybe call around about dropping a used engine in? Would be a lot cheaper than having car payments for the next few years.
well maintained? motor blew..... means he wasn't maintaining it....
Sure can drop an engine in, it be cheap, but probably won't be maintained again. If he gets something new atleast he has to maintain it just for warranty purposes......
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Apr 18, 2011
166 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
...........after getting an emergency call from my girlfriend, roughly around 50K~ away from home my motor blew. ............
Hello respected Rfders,
Could anyone please translate the above expression into plain English. Did not get what the OP is trying to say.
Thanks a lot.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1751 posts
189 upvotes
Edmonton
Bayan wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:27 pm
...........after getting an emergency call from my girlfriend, roughly around 50K~ away from home my motor blew. ............
Hello respected Rfders,
Could anyone please translate the above expression into plain English. Did not get what the OP is trying to say.
Thanks a lot.
His girlfriend called. Told him to get over there ASAP or they are done. He drives 50km and it takes roughly 3+ hours to get there (driving on the highway) and the motor seized up
Apr 30, 2015
838 posts
179 upvotes
East York, ON
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:22 pm
doesn't matter if the car runs for 20 minutes or 10 hours, car needs oil and need to be maintained....

Sure can drop an engine in, it be cheap, but probably won't be maintained again. If he gets something new atleast he has to maintain it just for warranty purposes......
Hehe true. In the last two week I clocked 12,000km onto my 93 Grand Marquis. Only reason it's gotten this far is how well it's been maintained. I'm about to hit 500,000km.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1751 posts
189 upvotes
Edmonton
CanadaMaple wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:43 pm
Hehe true. In the last two week I clocked 12,000km onto my 93 Grand Marquis. Only reason it's gotten this far is how well it's been maintained. I'm about to hit 500,000km.
good car with a good strong healthy RWD v8. Those are same as the crown vics police used. Easy to fix, easy to maintain. Super comfortable ride, too bad you pay at the pump as I know it wasnt the most fuel efficient, but still not bad. 14-15L per 100km? Same as my current truck and not anywhere as comfy
Apr 30, 2015
838 posts
179 upvotes
East York, ON
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:12 am
good car with a good strong healthy RWD v8. Those are same as the crown vics police used. Easy to fix, easy to maintain. Super comfortable ride, too bad you pay at the pump as I know it wasnt the most fuel efficient, but still not bad. 14-15L per 100km? Same as my current truck and not anywhere as comfy
14-15l/100km would be city (16-20L/100 in downtown Toronto lol)
I get 7/100 highway (this even shocks me on a regular basis) at most 8/100.

Grand marquis is nicer than the crown Vic mainly because it's not got the stiff suspension. Has the old style couch seats, my air suspension is still fully functional too. Rides like a dream for long highway drives.
Feb 4, 2017
13 posts
4 upvotes
Leasing is a good option. Unhaggle is the way to go if you want simplicity. Unhaggle has ties with many dealers in the GTA for deals.
Feb 19, 2017
184 posts
79 upvotes
karakoram wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:39 pm
get something cheap & quick. used 2007+ Corollas are very reliable and maintenance friendly
if you want to lease compact, 2017 Elantra might have lease deals or 2017 Tucson if you want CUV

how much?
Pretty the TLX starts at $188.00 bi-weekly at 0.3% which is pretty good for a luxury (okay premium) brand.
Last edited by LoANeal on Mar 17th, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1590 posts
291 upvotes
Calgary
LoANeal wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:14 am
Pretty the TLX starts at $188.00 weekly at 0.3% which is pretty good for a luxury (okay premium) brand.
I really hope you meant bi-weekly.
Feb 19, 2017
184 posts
79 upvotes
....yes I totally did thank you for that catch xD Man that would be brutal
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3454 posts
1080 upvotes
BC / GVA
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:22 pm

This is why I won't buy a used car unless the owner has full maintenance records to go with it. There are lots of people out there that don't do maintenance at all.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3454 posts
1080 upvotes
BC / GVA
qaz393 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 7:36 pm
Maybe u need better negotiation skills or look for easy fix cars.......
I'm sure swapping out an engine would be an easy fix for a car that never has its oil changed.....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel