Automotive

Broke my car last night; First time leasing/buying a car!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 11:49 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1914 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
durrsak wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 4:30 pm
So u left a poor 'rolla go oil thirsty.
U don't deserve my help, sir Disappointed But Relieved Face
To be fair, the 8th generation Corollas were notorious for suddenly consuming oil and there were blown engines.
I also had an '01 and it was a good car with a nice slick shifting 5 spd until it suddenly started consuming tons of oil, so I nursed it for a couple of more years until I bought a new car.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1795 posts
203 upvotes
Edmonton
Biff88 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 11:56 pm
To be fair, the 8th generation Corollas were notorious for suddenly consuming oil and there were blown engines.
I also had an '01 and it was a good car with a nice slick shifting 5 spd until it suddenly started consuming tons of oil, so I nursed it for a couple of more years until I bought a new car.
There's a difference between consuming tons of oil and seizing the motor due to no oil. So from the low mark to the full mark is typically 1 quart(or a litre cause 946ml is close enough). So let's say it burns a ton of oil. 3 litres per oil change is about the highest they consume I been reading, so this one was probably less unless it's also been leaking but it wasn't else you would be checking the dipstick. If you check the oil atleast once in between then your good. Hell even not checking it you would still have roughly a litre left in the pan which would still run for you since you have oil in the lines aswell. And the oil pump tube usually goes fairly low to near bottom of pan.

So. Definitely drove further than recommended OCI and never checked the dip stick.....
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1795 posts
203 upvotes
Edmonton
dealseaker101 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:12 pm
I'm sure swapping out an engine would be an easy fix for a car that never has its oil changed.....
I would definitely buy that. It's gotta have maybe 20k on the odo. Needs a new motor. Essentially after fix you have a brand new whip
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8712 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
qaz393 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:31 am
corolla never break especially the old ones. they are literally a tank..........
OP's car burns oil and he didn't check his oil level. It was probably on 'empty'. Very common on these Toyotas. If you just topping up, it will last pretty much forever. Nobody said they were 'maintenance' free. You still need to pay attention to your vehicle.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8712 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:01 pm
There's a difference between consuming tons of oil and seizing the motor due to no oil. So from the low mark to the full mark is typically 1 quart(or a litre cause 946ml is close enough). So let's say it burns a ton of oil. 3 litres per oil change is about the highest they consume I been reading, so this one was probably less unless it's also been leaking but it wasn't else you would be checking the dipstick. If you check the oil atleast once in between then your good. Hell even not checking it you would still have roughly a litre left in the pan which would still run for you since you have oil in the lines aswell. And the oil pump tube usually goes fairly low to near bottom of pan.

So. Definitely drove further than recommended OCI and never checked the dip stick.....
Yupp. As I mentioned above. I have 2 90s Corolla. Both burn oil pretty much at the same rate. The 97 has basically been burning oil at 100k. It's now at 370k. I just monitor and top up. Have had no issues. There were a few times I got careless which I noticed significantly sluggish or 'sputtering' performance. Topped up immediately and it was smooth sailing. For those interested, Google Toyota engine oil burn and it's all over. No point in fixing it. Just top up and monitor. It's like having perpetual slow tire leak that you gotta keep filling up. But hey, it's still reliable as heck.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1914 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:01 pm

No excuse for not checking the dipstick, but these engines were notorious for suddenly consuming large amounts of and blown engines were being reported as owners would find out about the problem too late. The issue was too small oil return holes in the pistons which would get easily clogged after 100k. The problem was corrected in the next gen Corolla, but many of us got stuck with these bad engines. At least mine didnt die, but I kept topping up 1 litre per month near the end. Another problem is that the oil light would not come on until it was too late.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1914 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:40 pm
Yupp. As I mentioned above. I have 2 90s Corolla. Both burn oil pretty much at the same rate. The 97 has basically been burning oil at 100k. It's now at 370k. I just monitor and top up. Have had no issues. There were a few times I got careless which I noticed significantly sluggish or 'sputtering' performance. Topped up immediately and it was smooth sailing. For those interested, Google Toyota engine oil burn and it's all over. No point in fixing it. Just top up and monitor. It's like having perpetual slow tire leak that you gotta keep filling up. But hey, it's still reliable as heck.
Yup, I and many others intimately know your experience. The solution was too pull the engine, drill out the clogged oil return holes in the pistons bigger and then drill some more holes too, but that was way beyond my ability and aspirations. I looked into getting a rebuilt engine put into my 01 Rolla but my mechanic talked me out if it. It was too bad, because it was a really good car otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8712 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
Biff88 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:39 pm
Yup, I and many others intimately know your experience. The solution was too pull the engine, drill out the clogged oil return holes in the pistons and then drill some more holes too, but that was way beyond my ability and aspirations. I looked into getting a rebuilt engine put into my 01 Rolla but my mechanic talked me out if it. It was too bad, because it was a really good car otherwise.
Ahh, good to know. Heh, you should have! I hate it when people dismiss it. All I can say is we've spent a fraction on putting 500+K on 2 Corollas then a newer, nicer car that 's only 5 years old with 100K on it. Actually, my 97 did have the oil lamp come on a few times. One time when it was my wife's car. Another time, itactually stalled not too far from my house. Wouldn't start. Spark plugs were bad too. But still. The oil lamp came on. Checked dipstick and it was completely dry. This was when I just started driving it more often after we moved in together (it was her family car, then hers) so I was aware of the issue but wasn't as fully familiar with it. My wife had to come in the other Corolla and waited in the stalled one. I drove to the gas station close by, bought several oil quarts, poured it in. Rough start, but did. Then it was smooth sailing shortly after. And this was when the car had like 250K on it. It's been smooth sailing ever since. I dodge a bullet on that. That to me is a tank of a car.

Still runs smooth, no issues.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel