• Nov 11th, 2017 9:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16975 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West

Broken Headlight Housing Clip (Photos)

So both of my headlights failed on the day of the area's first real snowfall... Of course they would. Astonished Face

When I was replacing them, I accidentally broke one of the little plastic clips on the power cable. (See photos below.)
The headlight still slides into the underlying metal connector quite firmly, but there's no more plastic clip on the cable. The bulb still installed successfully since there is an auxiliary arm that holds the whole assembly into place.

I wrapped the connection with the broken clip in 221 degF rated electrical tape.

Questions for RFD:
1. Is the an OK / safe thing to do?
2. Is it worth it trying to get a replacement plastic clip?

Photo #1 - Light bulb connected into the metal connector, under the clip. (This is before electrical tape.)

Photo #2 - Broken plastic clip.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
That's an H1 right? My only concern could be shorting the mounting/retention clip against the wire. If you can't find a replacement clip/harness I'd go shrink wrap over electrical tape.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16975 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
tebore wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:19 pm
That's an H1 right? My only concern could be shorting the mounting/retention clip against the wire. If you can't find a replacement clip/harness I'd go shrink wrap over electrical tape.
Thanks. Yes it is an H1.
Btw the wire itself is coated in plastic. What kind of shrink wrap should I look for?
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:10 pm
Thanks. Yes it is an H1.
Btw the wire itself is coated in plastic. What kind of shrink wrap should I look for?
They'll have it in the automotive section at CT. It's usually in small packs of 6-8. I'm not sure of the size, you'll need to measure the clip and look for the closest match.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15830 posts
4712 upvotes
Ottawa
Faston insulation.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28241 posts
4208 upvotes
Ottawa
If you have it wrapped then there should be no concern over it shorting out. The plastic was only to keep the connection clean and protected.
The only problem will be if you need to replace the bulb again. The tape can be a bugger to remove if it has been tightly wrapped for a long time.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15830 posts
4712 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:33 pm
Hmm didn't know that was proper name for them. I always called them spade connectors
I started getting more involved with the mechanical design of the many products my company produces and gained a vast knowledge of board level components :)
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1918 posts
858 upvotes
Montreal
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:52 pm
If you have it wrapped then there should be no concern over it shorting out. The plastic was only to keep the connection clean and protected.
The only problem will be if you need to replace the bulb again. The tape can be a bugger to remove if it has been tightly wrapped for a long time.
Yeah electrical tape in engine bay turns gooey after a while, probably best to heat shrink it now then apply some dielectric grease.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16975 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
jzmtl wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 11:51 am
Yeah electrical tape in engine bay turns gooey after a while, probably best to heat shrink it now then apply some dielectric grease.
Where exactly would the dielectric grease be applied? On top of the heat shrink?
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1918 posts
858 upvotes
Montreal
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 1:23 pm
Where exactly would the dielectric grease be applied? On top of the heat shrink?
After you heat shrink the connector, literally squeeze some grease into it, then just push the connector on as usual.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
originally the terminal had some nylon housing that covered spade, why don't you just get one new or used and voila.
all this other stuff is just a band aid. Worse case would be to cannibalize a 9003 by cutting one section and using that.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16975 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:47 pm
originally the terminal had some nylon housing that covered spade, why don't you just get one new or used and voila.
all this other stuff is just a band aid. Worse case would be to cannibalize a 9003 by cutting one section and using that.
I don't even know how / where to get a replacement of that same plastic part, hence my questions on here.
That broken plastic part is really flimsy. I don't even know why they use it.
- Casual Gastronomist -