Broken teeth, making me coyote ugly.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2017 8:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 20, 2017
2 posts

Broken teeth, making me coyote ugly.

I fell from stairs and broke my upper canine tooth. It’s been almost six months since the accident. Stitches have healed completely and now I don't know what to do with my broken tooth. I can’t even smile properly. I’m having an issue here. I googled about dental crown procedure. I’m planning to do it soon enough. Is it effective? How much it would cost around Aurora?
Will the crown and my broken tooth be of same colour? Should I replace it often? Is it flexible and easygoing as our teeth? I don’t have any idea about it. Kindly share your views.
2 replies
Jun 18, 2017
86 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had a couple of buddies who were big into hockey and had similar problems. Most of them opted to remove the tooth/teeth entirely and wear a removable appliance, because why bother fixing your teeth if you're playing hockey? Now that their "careers" are over they're looking into more permanent replacements and the few I'm still in touch with look surprisingly good! I have no idea about how much it cost though, but much more than yours I'm guessing. One of them was missing his front 4 on the top for example.
That's my name...
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
1850 posts
205 upvotes
Hey OP, have you went to see your dentist about the tooth yet? Since it's been six months, I assume the tooth is not causing your any issue besides aesthetics? If it's painful, or infected you may need a root canal first before restoring the tooth. Depending on the damage you may or may not need a crown, you might be able to restore it with filling material if not too much tooth structures are lost. However, a crown is required if too much tooth structure is lost. On the off chance the tooth is not restorable, then it'll have to be removed and other methods will be used to get a tooth in that spot. Is it effective ? If a good lab makes the crown, it should look good. obviously things can always break so dont be opening beer bottles with your canine crown. Treat it well like your normal teeth and most likely it'll be fine.

Cost wise, crown alone should cost your anywhere from $1200-2000 depending on what the dentist wants to charge ( at least thats how it goes in Alberta here). As for color, you can request to get your crown custom color matched at the dental lab by the technician that's making your crown, they can custom tint it to make it match your other teeth if necessary.

Goto your dentist first and get the tooth looked at :)