Automotive

Broken window - how much does it cost to fix?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2009 4:00 pm
Tags:
Jan 16, 2005
10 posts

Broken window - how much does it cost to fix?

I just bought a brand new 09 Civic Sedan a few weeks ago and it just got broken into. :(

This is my first time owning a car so I don't know too much about repairs and sorts. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to get it fixed.

Does anyone know how much it (approximately) costs to fix a broken window on the driver's door side? I want to be prepared with the cost when I go to the dealership.

Thanks in advanced!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
eternal_angel_23 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2009 7:51 pm
I just bought a brand new 09 Civic Sedan a few weeks ago and it just got broken into. :(

This is my first time owning a car so I don't know too much about repairs and sorts. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to get it fixed.

Does anyone know how much it (approximately) costs to fix a broken window on the driver's door side? I want to be prepared with the cost when I go to the dealership.
Comprehensive insurance not cover the window?
Jan 18, 2009
275 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Call Apple Auto Glass or Speedy Glass to get a quote.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2005
10 posts
Whitedart wrote:
Feb 1st, 2009 7:56 pm
Comprehensive insurance not cover the window?

Well, if I would have to pay the deductible, I'm not sure if I want to go through insurance if the deductible cost more than the window ... which is why I want to find out the cost of fixing the window at a dealership.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2005
10 posts
Goodcat wrote:
Feb 1st, 2009 8:43 pm
My car is brand new under warranty... is it a good ideal for me to do it through Apple Auto Glass?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
2385 posts
1130 upvotes
Toronto
Goodcat wrote:
Feb 1st, 2009 8:43 pm
+1. call them up for a quote.

Secondly, it depends on the insurance coverage you have (what your deductible is).

My friend had to get his window replaced last year and it cost approx $200.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2005
10 posts
cluless wrote:
Feb 1st, 2009 10:12 pm
+1. call them up for a quote.

Secondly, it depends on the insurance coverage you have (what your deductible is).

My friend had to get his window replaced last year and it cost approx $200.
Thanks for the info.

My deductible is $500.

I'm just wondering if I get the repair done through someone else (ie: Apple Auto Glass), if that would affect my warranty with Honda or not ...
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2621 posts
242 upvotes
eternal_angel_23 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2009 11:01 pm
Thanks for the info.

My deductible is $500.

I'm just wondering if I get the repair done through someone else (ie: Apple Auto Glass), if that would affect my warranty with Honda or not ...
Of course not. It's a damn window.
Jan 25, 2009
25 posts
Calgary
Wont affect your warranty to go to Apple Auto Glass. I had my window replaced on my current civic. It was about $500 if i recall correctly but thats because I insisted it be replaced with Honda glass.

However, you can get "generic" glass from places like Apple Auto Glass for a good amount cheaper approx $250-300... I chose to go with the Honda glass because each glass pane has the glass brand name on it, I didnt want questions to arise when I sold the car etc if people assumed incorrectly that the car was involved in an accident etc.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2005
10 posts
k-man25 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2009 11:52 pm
Wont affect your warranty to go to Apple Auto Glass. I had my window replaced on my current civic. It was about $500 if i recall correctly but thats because I insisted it be replaced with Honda glass.

However, you can get "generic" glass from places like Apple Auto Glass for a good amount cheaper approx $250-300... I chose to go with the Honda glass because each glass pane has the glass brand name on it, I didnt want questions to arise when I sold the car etc if people assumed incorrectly that the car was involved in an accident etc.
Thanks so much for the info! It was really helpful ... esp. since I don't know much about cars!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1095 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I just replaced the rear door glass on my mazda 3. I got the glass from the dealership as well as some trim pieces that were damaged as well.

The glass was 99 bucks and i got a 15% discount because of the forum i am a part of.

The labor would have been 212 so i decided to do it myself. Took me 3.5 hours to do it in my garage. I have the tools and have done it before on other cars so it was not a problem. You could call up the dealership ask how much it is and then call some garages to see how much would labor be to replace the glass if you gave the all the material.

Just some thoughts.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
× < >