• Mar 26th, 2012 12:45 am
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2012
4 posts
WARREN

Brokerage Fees China to Canada?

Hello,

My friend introduced me to online shopping in 2011 (I was skeptical about buying online) and I have henceforth been using it to receive incredible deals otherwise impossible to do without the Internet.

There are flashes I want to order for my DSLR camera on eBay from a seller in China. I’ve read the ad and his shipping policies (he doesn’t charge for shipping but he does charge for a tracking number) and he ships via couriers like UPS, EMS, TNT, DHL, etc.

I read online that I should beware being “r***” by brokerage fees from these couriers, because I have only ever received parcels from USPS/Canada Post from the United States.

Can someone tell me more? I’ve heard that UPS doesn’t charge brokerage fees for air shipments, which is what it would be from China to Canada, and other such advice. Can someone explain this to me so I can make a decision?

9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5723 posts
509 upvotes
UPS brokerage rates:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... svl=SubNav

On top of that of course you will have GST/PST/HST plus any duties, usually zero on electronics, very high on clothing stuff.

It is worth noting that for any shipment under C$ 20.00 there are no duties, taxes or brokerage charges from any carrier, no matter which country the item is coming from.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2012
4 posts
WARREN
Is there an alternative method? Is EMS, DHL, FedEx, TNT, Purolator, or anyone else cheaper? And does the UPS link brokerage fees based on the duty value or the value of what I ordered? It says: "Value for Duty"? Can USPS or Canada Post handle a parcel from China to Canada or do they operate only within their respective countries?

Thanks.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2012
4 posts
WARREN
Also are those fees applicable to air shipments? I've read online brokerage is applicable to ground shipments only?
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2066 posts
360 upvotes
Winnipeg
Go with ems because canada post finishes the delivery and canada post charges less duties (if any) than the other couriers
---
:twisted:
[OP]
Mar 23, 2012
4 posts
WARREN
bman77 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2012 1:09 pm
Go with ems because canada post finishes the delivery and canada post charges less duties (if any) than the other couriers

Do you mean that since EMS hands the parcel to Canada Post I don't need to pay an outrageous brokerage fee? (I've used Canada Post/USPS for shipments of parcels several times.) Canada Post charges almost nothing for brokerage. It's like $5.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5723 posts
509 upvotes
Cartographer wrote:
Mar 24th, 2012 2:29 pm
Do you mean that since EMS hands the parcel to Canada Post I don't need to pay an outrageous brokerage fee? (I've used Canada Post/USPS for shipments of parcels several times.) Canada Post charges almost nothing for brokerage. It's like $5.

Flat rate $8 now. It went up a few months back.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2022 posts
319 upvotes
Guelph
General rule of thumb when shopping online: AVOID UPS AT ALL COSTS!

Their brokerage fees involves bending you over and violating you in every way possible. Seriously.
Macreo Photography
Weddings | Commercial | Events | 360° Virtuals
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2011
2066 posts
360 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cartographer wrote:
Mar 24th, 2012 2:29 pm

yes, that's what I'm saying, I had jerseys delivered by ems once, took 4 business days and I had to pick them up at canada post.
---
:twisted:
Jun 6, 2009
368 posts
20 upvotes
Fort McMurray
bman77 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2012 1:09 pm
This. Go with whichever courrier that transfers the package to Canada Post for final delivery, as it will mean minimal broker/handling fees ($8.50).
× < >