• Feb 2nd, 2012 11:50 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 27, 2011
145 posts
3 upvotes

Brother All-in-One Wireless Printer: MFC-J435W - ISSUES COMING UP ALREADY WTF

I bought the Brother MFC-J435W printer on boxing day @ $49.99
I just started using it 2 days ago, printed around 10 color pages (around 30% color on each page - rest are blank/white space),
and this junk is telling me that i am out of ink already?

Is this happening to anyone? Please advise. Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1756 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
It probably came with starter cartridges. You'll have to buy the regular ones. I also have a Brother Inkjet and it goes through ink quickly so I use it sparingly and do the bulk of my printing on a monochrome laser printer :(
Oct 23, 2011
347 posts
62 upvotes
Etobicoke
Probably from sitting on the shelf, the printer thinks they're empty already

Not sure on that model itself, but do the cartridges have little plastic 'windows' so you can see the ink?

If so, put a peice of tape over the window, make sure it is pressed down all the way.

Then when you re-insert the cartridge push hard enough for everything to be seated, the tape will provide a bit of resistance.

Worked for me, whenever the printer would complain about being out of ink (any of the colours means you cannot print black either...)

I haven't had to change these cartridges for over a year
[OP]
Nov 27, 2011
145 posts
3 upvotes
I actually cleaned it 3-4 times in row.
I dont know if thats what causing the issue. But I am quite disappointed about this
[OP]
Nov 27, 2011
145 posts
3 upvotes
sappo569 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2012 8:03 am

I haven't had to change these cartridges for over a year
So you havent changed the 'starter' cartridges yet? Wow.. that sure last long.
Now I am wondering if its my printer thats causing the issue.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
5861 posts
591 upvotes
I dont recall seeing anywhere that Brother gave you starter cartridges - what you got were the lc-71 which are the normal sized ones. lc-75 are the double capacity ones you can buy on ebay or elsewhere.

I suggest you use cover up the transparent window with either black tape or tin foil and try again.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2011
145 posts
3 upvotes
Just curious if any experiencing this; my printer starts cleaning itself in the middle of the night, it was noisy as hell.
Is there a way to turn the auto-cleaning off? Not to mention it waste ink too?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3706 posts
2254 upvotes
Toronto
Brother inkjets are horrible. I had the MFC290 before(absolutely the worst printer ever!) You should unplug it if you are not using or it will keep on doing the self cleaning and suck out all your ink.

The printer will tell you it's out of ink when there is still some left. Search for the tape trick where you put a tape around the ink cartridge sensor to keep the printer running.

http://journal.drfaulken.com/trick-your ... -runs-dry/

Most frustrating thing is it won't let you fax or scan when it's low on ink :facepalm: . Never a brother inkjet ever again and this is coming from someone who's not picky at all. :D
× < >