Home & Garden

brown/black chunks of gelatinous gel coming out of laundry machine whirpool cabrio

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2011 8:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3062 posts
43 upvotes

brown/black chunks of gelatinous gel coming out of laundry machine whirpool cabrio

hey all. we moved into a house that has a whirpool cabrio high efficiency top loading washing machine. it's used. the first load i ran had a lot of gunk on our clothes and i assumed it was something i put in the wash ... in the second load which was a reclean of the first load there was a lot more so i've concluded it's the machine.

i washed the inside of the washer dry and ran a short cycle and a lot more of it collected in the basin.

has anyone else had an issue like this and how was it resolved?

tia!
4 replies
Jan 12, 2009
316 posts
13 upvotes
When we first moved in the top load washer was releasing dark flakes (looked like dried leaves). We ran several empty cycles with some detergent and it eventually went away. Used the machine for 4 years before selling it when we renoed the laundry room.
Sep 17, 2002
713 posts
85 upvotes
fill washer with hot hot water with bleach and soap or dishwashing detergent

let it it sit for awhile to losen gunk

repeat a few more times

it should help
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3062 posts
43 upvotes
iwells wrote:
Aug 16th, 2011 10:55 pm
fill washer with hot hot water with bleach and soap or dishwashing detergent

let it it sit for awhile to losen gunk

repeat a few more times

it should help

thanks ... this is what i had to do three four times to get rid of the gunk ... at least I think i got rid of it!
Sep 17, 2002
713 posts
85 upvotes
repeat it as necessary - 1 year or every 6 months as part of regular maintenance
× < >