Food & Drink

Brown Rice, What's it taste and smell like when good, and when Rancid.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2008 10:25 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes

Brown Rice, What's it taste and smell like when good, and when Rancid.

I found out that Brown Rice can go Rancid, So I am a bit paranoid. I mean I never had brown rice so I have no idea what it tastes like but I bought a bag because its supposed to be good for you.

Anyhow I opened the bag and it smells like nuts, it smells ok but I never knew rice is supposed to smell like nuts, so not sure if its rancid. Anyhow its cooking now, so I will post back on what it tastes like later.

I am a bit paranoid with this, a while back I bought flaxseed oil and it had an expiry of 2010 but the taste tasted like nutty fish (not sure if it was in my head), supposidly that means that the flaxseed are bad and rancid. So I threw that away even though I wasen't 100% that the flaxseed oil is bad. Now the rice smells like nuts and I think its rancid.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5412 posts
171 upvotes
BC
brown rice is nutty, so it should be fine.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes
Thats good to know, Anyhow I cooked the rice for over a hour today and it didn't come out cooked. I think I need add more water next time and cook at higher temp.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3366 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
Brown rice is supposed to smell like that. Westerners like ourselves are not used to aroma since we usually eat white rice. Basmati rice also has a distinct nuttyness, no where near as brown rice though.

To properly cook it, it should take 30-40 minutes max.

Use the ratio of 1 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Wash the rice about 5 times or until the water runs clear. Bring it to a boil on maximum heat. Once boiling, turn the heat down to simmer. On my stove, max is level 9 and simmer is 2. Let simmer with a tight sealed cover for 20 minutes then remove from the stove with the cover still on and let stand for another 10 minutes. Rice should come out fluffy and not mushy

Hope this helps.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34261 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
supsx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2008 9:50 pm
Thats good to know, Anyhow I cooked the rice for over a hour today and it didn't come out cooked. I think I need add more water next time and cook at higher temp.
Maybe your not used to it. Brown rice has a chewy texture compared to other rice.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes
supsx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2008 9:50 pm
Try soaking your rice for at least 30 minutes before cooking. This will produce a softer rice and reduce the level of phytic acid.

Edit: storing your rice (or any other grains) in the fridge will increase it's shelf life.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1006 posts
4 upvotes
supsx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2008 5:42 pm
I found out that Brown Rice can go Rancid, So I am a bit paranoid. I mean I never had brown rice so I have no idea what it tastes like but I bought a bag because its supposed to be good for you.

Anyhow I opened the bag and it smells like nuts, it smells ok but I never knew rice is supposed to smell like nuts, so not sure if its rancid. Anyhow its cooking now, so I will post back on what it tastes like later.

I am a bit paranoid with this, a while back I bought flaxseed oil and it had an expiry of 2010 but the taste tasted like nutty fish (not sure if it was in my head), supposidly that means that the flaxseed are bad and rancid. So I threw that away even though I wasen't 100% that the flaxseed oil is bad. Now the rice smells like nuts and I think its rancid.
Don't know where you got that flax seed is bad if it tastes nutty or fishy. I've heard it tastes fishy to some people and nutty to others. It's nutty to me. I think you just aren't used to the flavours of different things. Perhaps finding someone who is used to eating flax and asking them, is this what it's supposed to taste like? I don't think it was bad, did it taste rancid or just like nutty fish?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1007 posts
There is a new Timewise brown rice you can buy that is a lot quicker to cook. It comes in a stand up bag rather than a flat bag.
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
There is also a "minute" brand brown rice as well. It cooks in 5 minutes of boiling and 5 minutes standing.

I think Kranberry hit the nail on the head though. Flax seed and oil can taste different to different people. Brown rice does not taste like white rice, etc. Brown rice does have a nutty flavour and a much firmer texture. I think you're just not used to new textures and flavours and over-analyzing.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2006
582 posts
22 upvotes
Thanks, Next bag I buy will be the brown minute rice but first I will see if I am able to cook what I have properly.
× < >