• Oct 5th, 2017 2:39 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3905 posts
573 upvotes
Kingston

Budgeting for a new baby

We're expecting in the end of December :)
So my wife is probably going to be going off work next month since they won't allow her to work under modified duties. Because we will be on a fixed income I'm trying to budget all of our monthly expenses. I'm thinking I might have to get a second job, but before I start applying I want to see if it is possible as we are now.

Our Last child was born 12yrs ago so I'm not too up to date with the current costs of diapers ect.
I was hoping to get an average cost of the necessities so I can factor it into our monthly budget (diapers/wipes/formula etc)

Thanks
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15202 posts
4265 upvotes
Ottawa
Tha DraGun wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 11:39 am
We're expecting in the end of December :)
So my wife is probably going to be going off work next month since they won't allow her to work under modified duties. Because we will be on a fixed income I'm trying to budget all of our monthly expenses. I'm thinking I might have to get a second job, but before I start applying I want to see if it is possible as we are now.

Our Last child was born 12yrs ago so I'm not too up to date with the current costs of diapers ect.
I was hoping to get an average cost of the necessities so I can factor it into our monthly budget (diapers/wipes/formula etc)

Thanks
My only advice, is to buy on sale and don't stock too much of anything in particular.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13996 posts
4504 upvotes
In terms of diapers and wipes, I would use Costco as my base for "good deal". I can get them cheaper by combining coupons / Checkout51 / PC Points, but only if everything lines up. For example, Huggies was just on sale and you can view the pictures (and price per diaper) for the various sizes:
https://cocowest.ca/costco-west-sales-i ... katchewan/

For both wipes and formula we just use the Kirkland one. You can wait to see if it goes on sale between now and December, but their regular price for both is very good. The wipes are a little more than Huggies/Pampers but we liked them better.

If you're into couponing, each of the formula brands has a "club" you join where they send you samples and coupons. I would sign up because then you can try different formulas. For example, here is Nestle's:
https://www.startwell.nestle.ca/en/user/register
Jun 1, 2017
222 posts
21 upvotes
London, ON
Congrats!

Request diapers/wipes for your baby shower (if there is going to be one) and I agree with the above post...don't stock up too much on anything, especially newborn/size 1 diapers...it's amazing how quickly they outgrow these sizes.

If you have a Costco membership, the Kirkland wipes are by far the best out there, I would recommend stocking up on these when they go on sale. Also, Kirkland formula is great, if you plan on formula feeding or have to switch to formula, this is a great, affordable brand to try. Costco also carries Huggies and Kirkland brand diapers...I don't like either, but some people do and they are are good price there, especially when they go on sale. Costco also has some of the cheapest clothing for babies and kids... basically, you just need a Costco membership :)

Whether or not you will be formula feeding, you should get samples of formula..all the big brands offer them (Simulac, Nestle, Enfamil). Just go to the websites and sign up for the samples. They send samples and coupons for formula and a lot of other things... if you don't end up using the formula food banks and shelters are always in need.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3905 posts
573 upvotes
Kingston
Thanks for the tips. Definitely going to sign up for the free samples. I was looking earlier and there are quite a few companies that offer it.

If anyone could guess approximately how much it would cost a month for diapers, how much for wipes, etc.
Just wanted a ballpark number. I'm listing all the bills and costs we will have. I wanted to get it all down on paper so I have something that I can show the wife.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3005 posts
191 upvotes
See my signature for free samples for your baby, most of them are still valid.

For diapers I order off of amazon, I haven't found it cheaper than there. If you're a prime member, you get 20% off diapers if you use subscribe and save. I just recently ordered size 4 and 5 for the large sizes, (180 for size 4 and 160 for size 5, for about $30.31 a box after taxes. It's so convenient, I no longer have to fit them in my car. They had a $2 off coupon when I bought which made it even cheaper. I stocked up on diapers beforehand, when you're tired, the last thing you need is to run out to line up and buy diapers at full price .

I use Costco wipes as well since they're unscented and I found don't tear as easily as other wipes.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7829 posts
532 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 4:35 am
Thanks for the tips. Definitely going to sign up for the free samples. I was looking earlier and there are quite a few companies that offer it.

If anyone could guess approximately how much it would cost a month for diapers, how much for wipes, etc.
Just wanted a ballpark number. I'm listing all the bills and costs we will have. I wanted to get it all down on paper so I have something that I can show the wife.
Approximately $0.18+gst/diaper depending on size (on sale, standard models). You'll start out at approx 12-14 diapers a day for 3-4 months. Drop down to around 7 per day for the bulk of the next year. Settle around 5 per day until potty trained. Once day potty trained, 1 per night.
Jan 2, 2015
960 posts
357 upvotes
Our kids are older like your first but I read it's about $2000 to $3000 for diapers if they are in until about 3 ish. We did it for a lot less than that. We bought on sale. Costco was our back up plan, as we often found deals at the store and stocked up. For our second child , there was some crazy sale (never saw it that cheap again) and we bought $800 of diapers in all sizes in one weekend. The stores, as long as it was the same brand and the box was opened would allow us to exchange to the larger size. I actually Only use jus over half. The amount I bought because my child early potty trained. So I maybe spent $500 on diapering my second child.

I know you asked for costs, but my tips for reducing diapering cost where the following|

- I didn't change the diaper after every feeding like they mentioned for my first, just when wet and heavy.
- use smaller diaper size as long as possible, as you get more per count, if in between the over lap on siz, use the larger size for night times, and smaller in the day. It holds more, woth th exception of newborn size is expensive compared to all others, then try size 1
- made all my wipes except on case I bought for travel and going out. Super easy, I posted it else where, it was cheaper and better for the baby. I spent $17.99 on wipes total.
- biggest thigh was early potty training. Google elimination communication. I had my youngest down to one diaper a day and one at night before 12 months. Out of diapers by 18. My oldest was just a few months later o. Timing becaus I was so sleep deprived and didn't know the first time around.

We got free formula for samples, and breastfed the whole time, with a once every few days supplement so the baby would take the bottle.

Ours were a little extreme in cost. Our first we spent maybe $1200 in daipers, lots on wipes, and nothing on formula.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Nov 25, 2016
36 posts
15 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 7:29 pm
Our kids are older like your first but I read it's about $2000 to $3000 for diapers if they are in until about 3 ish. We did it for a lot less than that. We bought on sale. Costco was our back up plan, as we often found deals at the store and stocked up. For our second child , there was some crazy sale (never saw it that cheap again) and we bought $800 of diapers in all sizes in one weekend. The stores, as long as it was the same brand and the box was opened would allow us to exchange to the larger size. I actually Only use jus over half. The amount I bought because my child early potty trained. So I maybe spent $500 on diapering my second child.

I know you asked for costs, but my tips for reducing diapering cost where the following|

- I didn't change the diaper after every feeding like they mentioned for my first, just when wet and heavy.
- use smaller diaper size as long as possible, as you get more per count, if in between the over lap on siz, use the larger size for night times, and smaller in the day. It holds more, woth th exception of newborn size is expensive compared to all others, then try size 1
- made all my wipes except on case I bought for travel and going out. Super easy, I posted it else where, it was cheaper and better for the baby. I spent $17.99 on wipes total.
- biggest thigh was early potty training. Google elimination communication. I had my youngest down to one diaper a day and one at night before 12 months. Out of diapers by 18. My oldest was just a few months later o. Timing becaus I was so sleep deprived and didn't know the first time around.

We got free formula for samples, and breastfed the whole time, with a once every few days supplement so the baby would take the bottle.

Ours were a little extreme in cost. Our first we spent maybe $1200 in daipers, lots on wipes, and nothing on formula.
Significant to savings the earlier you can potty train. However, as I learned the hard way, if theyll be going to daycare before 18 months, make sure they have toilets accessible for the infant room (or else they'll require diapers).
Oct 16, 2007
955 posts
219 upvotes
i think amazon prime with the 20% off subscribe and save option is better than costco for diapers. I would say around a box of diapers/month ($30-$35+tax) and maybe a box of wipes lasts 2 months ($20+tax). Add a 10% overage on that if needed. You may also need to account for formula, diaper genie refills (if you are going to use it), and the miselleneous stuff like rash creme. Its had to predict formula costs because you may ot amy not use it. PC brand formula is the most cost effective iirc.
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3905 posts
573 upvotes
Kingston
This was 12yrs ago mind you, but I remember with my son we tried both Huggies and pampers but he always made the diapers explode. Especially overnight! By explode I mean all those stupid gel bits that make up the diaper all over the place. (We changed him often, sometimes yes they were full but we always tried not to let it get that far)

We never had that problem with Kirkland brand. So much better! Hopefully the other brands are better now. We missed out of all the sales at the time.
Jun 18, 2011
142 posts
54 upvotes
TORONTO
Depending where you live, childcare is potentially your #1 cost. In the Toronto area, you're looking at $1500-$2000 per month for registered daycares.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3905 posts
573 upvotes
Kingston
BubbleGumPlant wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 7:26 am
Depending where you live, childcare is potentially your #1 cost. In the Toronto area, you're looking at $1500-$2000 per month for registered daycares.
Wow that's crazy! We were lucky, with our first we have never had to put him in daycare or hire a babysitter. We work opposite shifts or if really needed one of our parents watch him for a bit.
Hopefully this one will be the same way. If you have to pay that much sometimes you wonder if it's even worth it to work.
Nov 25, 2016
36 posts
15 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:30 am
Wow that's crazy! We were lucky, with our first we have never had to put him in daycare or hire a babysitter. We work opposite shifts or if really needed one of our parents watch him for a bit.
Hopefully this one will be the same way. If you have to pay that much sometimes you wonder if it's even worth it to work.
I think that's why a lot of parents decide to have one stay at home for a couple years (especially if you have 2 or more toddlers).
Nov 13, 2013
648 posts
220 upvotes
OTTAWA
BubbleGumPlant wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 7:26 am
And this if for toddlers. If you need to put an infant in daycare it can be even more.
Don't forget a some of this is deductible if both parents work.