Parenting & Family

Budgeting for a new baby

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 10:23 am
Dec 22, 2016
19 posts
2 upvotes
whenever they had a huge sale on diapers at walmart (they seem to have one a few times a year) I would just buy a ton of the large format boxes of diapers with buy a mix of sizes based on my best guess of the amount in each size I would need. Walmart has a really generous exchange policy and if my child outgrew a size, I would just bring the box back and exchange it for a bigger size. It actually worked out pretty well because you rarely need to go on diaper runs.
May 8, 2009
1796 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
For budgeting, there are many factors. For some reason diapers scare people, but I never saw them as a major cost. If you use formula, that's outrageously expensive. Go with house brands for formula, but not for diapers.

I'd recommend avoiding the second job if you can. Now's your chance to spend all the time you have with your baby. You may have to dip into your savings, or if you don't have savings, borrow money from MBNA on a balance transfer (you won't have to do it just for diapers).

Instead of a second job, if you need the extra income that much, consider a lucrative hobby.

I found charitable organizations who give parents of babies and toddlers supplies of clothing, so if you explain your situation to them, they'll likely let you take some gently used outfits from them.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4729 posts
400 upvotes
Scarborough
You can save money u spend on wipes by just washing the baby when they do their business. A quick warm rinse for #1 and more for #2. Keep wipes for when you're outside.
Also we found that huggies size lasts longer, while pampers u upgrade size a little faster.
Walmart and freshco sometimes have sales on diapers. Its hard to get coupons from the websites of these companies, they make it difficult really.
May 8, 2009
1796 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
apnayloags wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:12 pm
You can save money u spend on wipes by just washing the baby when they do their business. A quick warm rinse for #1 and more for #2. Keep wipes for when you're outside.
Also we found that huggies size lasts longer, while pampers u upgrade size a little faster.
Walmart and freshco sometimes have sales on diapers. Its hard to get coupons from the websites of these companies, they make it difficult really.
If you live in QC where municipal water is free, then sure.

Otherwise, the wipes will likely cost less than the usage on the water bill, unless you store water in buckets or have your own septic tank.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4577 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:12 pm
You might want to look at signing up for Checkout 51 - they have a discount offer for Pampers/Huggies almost every week. For example, this week it is $4 off 2 packs of Huggies (and our RCSS has a $10 off 2 packs of huggies coupon on the shelf).
Nov 13, 2013
721 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 9:56 pm
If you live in QC where municipal water is free, then sure.

Otherwise, the wipes will likely cost less than the usage on the water bill, unless you store water in buckets or have your own septic tank.
Water is over-priced in most Ontario cities as most of the cost is fixed, but 1/2 cent per litre of cold water is still cheaper than wipes which are at least 2-3 cents per wipe. I guess heating the water might be another 1/2 cent or more with natural gas?.
May 8, 2009
1796 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 7:49 am
Water is over-priced in most Ontario cities as most of the cost is fixed, but 1/2 cent per litre of cold water is still cheaper than wipes which are at least 2-3 cents per wipe. I guess heating the water might be another 1/2 cent or more with natural gas?.
I'm impressed you did the math on that. We use Walmart house brand wipes, box for $20 includes 1,200 wipes, that's 1.66666c per wipe. We have triplets so we don't mind the convenience of baby wipes. If cost were an issue, I'd consider a DIY option for baby wipes, but I'm not going to substitute baby wipes for water rinsing.
Nov 13, 2013
721 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:35 am
I'm impressed you did the math on that. We use Walmart house brand wipes, box for $20 includes 1,200 wipes, that's 1.66666c per wipe. We have triplets so we don't mind the convenience of baby wipes. If cost were an issue, I'd consider a DIY option for baby wipes, but I'm not going to substitute baby wipes for water rinsing.
Yeah I had already done the water math for the cloth diaper vs disposable number crunch. There the water cost does really eat into any savings although the savings are still substantial.
I agree carrying a baby to a sink every-time does seem excessively cheap. We use cloth wipes because my wife doesn't like the chemicals and the organic wipes run 10 cents a wipe.
May 8, 2009
1796 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:50 am
Yeah I had already done the water math for the cloth diaper vs disposable number crunch. There the water cost does really eat into any savings although the savings are still substantial.
I agree carrying a baby to a sink every-time does seem excessively cheap. We use cloth wipes because my wife doesn't like the chemicals and the organic wipes run 10 cents a wipe.
That's fair! I also heard that the dollar savings on cloth nappies is substantial, but the amount of work that goes into it just isn't worth it (especially if you have to pay someone labour to do it for you).

I see you're also in Ottawa. Cool to see fellow Ottawans on the forums :D