Parenting & Family

Budgeting for a new baby

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2018 7:14 pm
Dec 22, 2016
31 posts
6 upvotes
whenever they had a huge sale on diapers at walmart (they seem to have one a few times a year) I would just buy a ton of the large format boxes of diapers with buy a mix of sizes based on my best guess of the amount in each size I would need. Walmart has a really generous exchange policy and if my child outgrew a size, I would just bring the box back and exchange it for a bigger size. It actually worked out pretty well because you rarely need to go on diaper runs.
May 8, 2009
3333 posts
1055 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
For budgeting, there are many factors. For some reason diapers scare people, but I never saw them as a major cost. If you use formula, that's outrageously expensive. Go with house brands for formula, but not for diapers.

I'd recommend avoiding the second job if you can. Now's your chance to spend all the time you have with your baby. You may have to dip into your savings, or if you don't have savings, borrow money from MBNA on a balance transfer (you won't have to do it just for diapers).

Instead of a second job, if you need the extra income that much, consider a lucrative hobby.

I found charitable organizations who give parents of babies and toddlers supplies of clothing, so if you explain your situation to them, they'll likely let you take some gently used outfits from them.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4763 posts
413 upvotes
Scarborough
You can save money u spend on wipes by just washing the baby when they do their business. A quick warm rinse for #1 and more for #2. Keep wipes for when you're outside.
Also we found that huggies size lasts longer, while pampers u upgrade size a little faster.
Walmart and freshco sometimes have sales on diapers. Its hard to get coupons from the websites of these companies, they make it difficult really.
May 8, 2009
3333 posts
1055 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
apnayloags wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:12 pm
You can save money u spend on wipes by just washing the baby when they do their business. A quick warm rinse for #1 and more for #2. Keep wipes for when you're outside.
Also we found that huggies size lasts longer, while pampers u upgrade size a little faster.
Walmart and freshco sometimes have sales on diapers. Its hard to get coupons from the websites of these companies, they make it difficult really.
If you live in QC where municipal water is free, then sure.

Otherwise, the wipes will likely cost less than the usage on the water bill, unless you store water in buckets or have your own septic tank.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14412 posts
4826 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:12 pm
You might want to look at signing up for Checkout 51 - they have a discount offer for Pampers/Huggies almost every week. For example, this week it is $4 off 2 packs of Huggies (and our RCSS has a $10 off 2 packs of huggies coupon on the shelf).
Nov 13, 2013
873 posts
304 upvotes
OTTAWA
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 9:56 pm
If you live in QC where municipal water is free, then sure.

Otherwise, the wipes will likely cost less than the usage on the water bill, unless you store water in buckets or have your own septic tank.
Water is over-priced in most Ontario cities as most of the cost is fixed, but 1/2 cent per litre of cold water is still cheaper than wipes which are at least 2-3 cents per wipe. I guess heating the water might be another 1/2 cent or more with natural gas?.
May 8, 2009
3333 posts
1055 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 7:49 am
Water is over-priced in most Ontario cities as most of the cost is fixed, but 1/2 cent per litre of cold water is still cheaper than wipes which are at least 2-3 cents per wipe. I guess heating the water might be another 1/2 cent or more with natural gas?.
I'm impressed you did the math on that. We use Walmart house brand wipes, box for $20 includes 1,200 wipes, that's 1.66666c per wipe. We have triplets so we don't mind the convenience of baby wipes. If cost were an issue, I'd consider a DIY option for baby wipes, but I'm not going to substitute baby wipes for water rinsing.
Nov 13, 2013
873 posts
304 upvotes
OTTAWA
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:35 am
I'm impressed you did the math on that. We use Walmart house brand wipes, box for $20 includes 1,200 wipes, that's 1.66666c per wipe. We have triplets so we don't mind the convenience of baby wipes. If cost were an issue, I'd consider a DIY option for baby wipes, but I'm not going to substitute baby wipes for water rinsing.
Yeah I had already done the water math for the cloth diaper vs disposable number crunch. There the water cost does really eat into any savings although the savings are still substantial.
I agree carrying a baby to a sink every-time does seem excessively cheap. We use cloth wipes because my wife doesn't like the chemicals and the organic wipes run 10 cents a wipe.
May 8, 2009
3333 posts
1055 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:50 am
Yeah I had already done the water math for the cloth diaper vs disposable number crunch. There the water cost does really eat into any savings although the savings are still substantial.
I agree carrying a baby to a sink every-time does seem excessively cheap. We use cloth wipes because my wife doesn't like the chemicals and the organic wipes run 10 cents a wipe.
That's fair! I also heard that the dollar savings on cloth nappies is substantial, but the amount of work that goes into it just isn't worth it (especially if you have to pay someone labour to do it for you).

I see you're also in Ottawa. Cool to see fellow Ottawans on the forums :D
Jul 31, 2015
363 posts
116 upvotes
AB
Definitely sign up for free samples/coupons multiple times if you can.

Kirkland wipes are the best, stock up when on sale.

Diapers.. we personally just stock up when amazon does a big sale (usually their prime day)
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4763 posts
413 upvotes
Scarborough
What about those instore cheaper brands of diapers available in grocery stores?
Those are cheaper than brandnames, if someone really wants to save.
Apr 28, 2014
199 posts
80 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 10:23 am
That's fair! I also heard that the dollar savings on cloth nappies is substantial, but the amount of work that goes into it just isn't worth it (especially if you have to pay someone labour to do it for you).
I would say that cloth diapers are a big money-saver, with the caveat that you need to control the size of your initial investment. I have known people to buy a $150 set of cloth diapers that won't last a newborn more than a day. That's probably not going to pay back, and not having enough will mean laundry too often, which probably winds up meaning you'll give up and buy throw-away diapers anyway.

You need to get them used, or ideally free from a relative, and then they are cheap. If this doesn't sit right with someone (I can imagine that it might not, even though I can't see a problem with it), that's okay, and that person is probably the type to find cloth diapers to be too much work, anyway.
Jul 21, 2015
26 posts
3 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Diapers - get amazon prime or borrow someone that has it and subscribe. They're way cheaper than walmart, costco etc before subscription. Only time diapers are cheaper than amazon is when costco has them on sale.
Also sign up and create a huggies or pampers account and enter diaper codes. You can exchange them for toys, photo prints, gift cards etc.

Wipes - Stock up boxes of kirkland ones when they go on sale at costco because they are the best ones out there and it's cheap.

Formula - Sign up for enfamil, similac or nestle club. they'll all send you a package of free samples along with coupons. I personally prefer enfamil or similac because they'll give you monthly coupons and additional free coupons when your child is about to move up to the next stage. In regard to others saying go with generate brands there is a difference. If you compare walmart or costco formula to enfamil or similac you will notice there is a huge difference if you compare their nutritional information. The cheaper ones gives your baby less nutrients and vitamins. It is cheaper for a reason.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14412 posts
4826 upvotes
bobobaby wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 6:58 pm
Formula - Sign up for enfamil, similac or nestle club. they'll all send you a package of free samples along with coupons. I personally prefer enfamil or similac because they'll give you monthly coupons and additional free coupons when your child is about to move up to the next stage. In regard to others saying go with generate brands there is a difference. If you compare walmart or costco formula to enfamil or similac you will notice there is a huge difference if you compare their nutritional information. The cheaper ones gives your baby less nutrients and vitamins. It is cheaper for a reason.
It's a common myth - formula is actually very highly regulated.

https://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillne ... 8079.htm#7
Do "house brand" or generic infant formulas differ nutritionally from name brand formulas?
All infant formulas marketed in the United States must meet the nutrient specifications listed in FDA regulations. Infant formula manufacturers may have their own proprietary formulations but they must contain at least the minimum levels of all nutrients specified in FDA regulations without going over the maximum levels, when maximum levels are specified. Source: FDA/CFSAN Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling and Dietary Supplements July 2002.

You can compare the Kirkland to Enfamil for yourself:
https://similac.ca/en/products/similac-advance-step-1
https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signatur ... 87568.html
But I think it'd be a stretch to state there is a "huge difference".