Tags:
None
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
Post pictures of the leaves. Likely it's aphids though. They tear through roses pretty quickly and are very small. Usually you can see them against the dark soil or on the underside of the leaves.

When you water your flowers you should be blasting water on the leaves (top and bottom) to help get rid of the bugs. If it's bad you'll probably need a spray of some sort to keep them in check.

That's the thing about roses. Everyone thinks they are hard to grow, but really they grow like weeds. What's hard is not getting fungus, or bugs, etc on the plant itself.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
Looks like caterpillar damage.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Oh my this is EXACTLY what Im going through my rose plant...they even ate the rose that was about to bloom. :( Have you looked closey at the leaves? I found tons of super super small caterpillar looking green things...they are tight on the leaves and even watering them doesnt always get rid of them.. What is the remedy? This season is done, so guess for next spring?
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
It's rose slugs aka rose sawfly. If you look underneath the leaf, you will see them at work.
Oct 31, 2012
631 posts
45 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Thanks, for the advice. I was hoping for a non toxic solution, so I have heard people say use dishwashing soap or sprinkle some flour before it rains.
TotallyKiller wrote: Post pictures of the leaves. Likely it's aphids though. They tear through roses pretty quickly and are very small. Usually you can see them against the dark soil or on the underside of the leaves.

When you water your flowers you should be blasting water on the leaves (top and bottom) to help get rid of the bugs. If it's bad you'll probably need a spray of some sort to keep them in check.

That's the thing about roses. Everyone thinks they are hard to grow, but really they grow like weeds. What's hard is not getting fungus, or bugs, etc on the plant itself.
Actually our roses itself is untouched and quite beautiful. The only thing getting eaten is the leaves. I guess I got lucky, but I won't be bringing them in the house to put on the breakfast table though.
mmhassa2 wrote: Oh my this is EXACTLY what Im going through my rose plant...they even ate the rose that was about to bloom. :( Have you looked closey at the leaves? I found tons of super super small caterpillar looking green things...they are tight on the leaves and even watering them doesnt always get rid of them.. What is the remedy? This season is done, so guess for next spring?
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
TotallyKiller wrote: Post pictures of the leaves. Likely it's aphids though. They tear through roses pretty quickly and are very small. Usually you can see them against the dark soil or on the underside of the leaves.

Aphids are sucking insects, so the damage will be a puckered leaf, and you would see them gathering all over the stem and buds. They don't eat through the actual leaf. Rose slugs are most likely the culprit in my experience.
May 23, 2006
245 posts
5 upvotes
elephantrider wrote: Thanks, for the advice. I was hoping for a non toxic solution, so I have heard people say use dishwashing soap or sprinkle some flour before it rains.
Insecticidal soap. It's basically just potassium fatty acids. Kills them quickly, and it's not toxic to people (it may be mildly irritating though) or to bees or predatory insects.

Sprayed my rose bushes every week or two with it (when I had rose bushes), never any issue. Just look for it in any hardware store.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1161 posts
113 upvotes
Kitchener
We spread sulphur on our roses to keep the bugs at bay .
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: It's rose slugs aka rose sawfly. If you look underneath the leaf, you will see them at work.
+1 this man knows what he's talking about.

Go to a Home Depot in Buffalo or Bellingham and buy their bug sprays. None of the ones you find in Canada work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)