Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3811 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:57 am
This is marketing and PR.

Vouchers on their website and scheduling throughout the week does nothing for word of mouth, and in the online case just crashes their servers.

If you're in the mall, you're drawn to the huge line and chaos.
Well its been even more amplified with the closed gate. You know who does that tactic? EB/GameStop and other smaller boutiques that barely have sales on Boxing Day, You create this aura of "This is the Place To Be" with a closed gate and line up even though the sales are mediocre.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3811 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:55 am
3 security now, they want to close line for 5 HOURS because people keep going to front and blocking line. Extra security is helping a bit though

To all those who think this is nuts: Sorry, this is entertaining!! I'm saving money AND getting a free show Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
How far are you from the door? Can I slide in with my niece behind you?

LOL
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13406 posts
2084 upvotes
The closed gate is a bylaw/insurance/fire hazard issue.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Jun 16, 2009
521 posts
482 upvotes
Update

I have breached the inner sanctum, and it is meta. There is a line inside a line, as there are a ton of people lined up to stuff a bear or pay for a bear. If you want a hat and shirt that says Paw Patrol, it will cost you $18. Dark whispers abound that you can sell your child's soul for a 'better deal', I cower at the possibility they seek beyond monetary profit

What darkness have we succumbed to?
Images
  • 20180712_105630.jpg
  • 20180712_105647.jpg
  • 20180712_105639.jpg
  • 20180712_105713.jpg
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4889 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:55 am
3 security now, they want to close line for 5 HOURS because people keep going to front and blocking line. Extra security is helping a bit though

To all those who think this is nuts: Sorry, this is entertaining!! I'm saving money AND getting a free show Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Next time bring 3d glasses and popcorn. Face With Tears Of Joy
Mar 13, 2006
46 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Whoever thought of this event just turned it into a nightmare. It should have been better organized. Handing out queue numbers knowing the inventory numbers or having a cut off to the line would have been smart.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1109 posts
622 upvotes
Got an email that due to safety concerns they have closed the lines
Images
  • 2E3DB6CE-08FD-4FE5-A98F-C985E1FB6B7A.png
Dec 19, 2011
106 posts
36 upvotes
RICHMOND
Apart from the pokemon, there is no need to stuff the bear today. You can come back another day when it is not so busy to have it stuffed.

BernardRyder wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:05 am
Update

I have breached the inner sanctum, and it is meta. There is a line inside a line, as there are a ton of people lined up to stuff a bear or pay for a bear. If you want a hat and shirt that says Paw Patrol, it will cost you $18. Dark whispers abound that you can sell your child's soul for a 'better deal', I cower at the possibility they seek beyond monetary profit

What darkness have we succumbed to?
Oct 14, 2013
374 posts
257 upvotes
BAB newsletter, its true
Can you screenshot? I haven't gotten any emails since I signed up
Aug 29, 2017
28 posts
14 upvotes
Late post as I was typing it out sorry!
I just got this email: "LINES CLOSED
Per local authorities, we cannot accept additional
Guests at our Canadian Build-A-Bear Workshop
locations due to crowds and safety concerns.
We have closed lines in our Canadian Stores. We
understand some of our Guests are disappointed
and we will reach out directly as soon as possible."

Not sure how this works in Metrotown where the mall is only opening at in 2 hours at 10am but there you go (maybe there is a line already, no clue)
Last edited by Trisnics on Jul 12th, 2018 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
3278 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver
rebel_rfd wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 10:56 am
I don't think its that but rather kids can be expensive.

Plus the point of this promotion was to allow folks that might be on a stricter budget to experience build-a-bear but its not like they screen for Social Economic Status at the door before letting kids walk in.

Remember the No Frills gift cards given out during the ice storm in 2013. You had people lining up for them after parking their Beamers and Audis in the parking lot.
A year or two ago the city of Vancouver was giving out free salt for icy sidewalks, etc.. people went crazy... and of course it started appearing for sale on Craigslist, etc.

Ron.
Jun 16, 2009
521 posts
482 upvotes
Ghost001 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:11 am
Apart from the pokemon, there is no need to stuff the bear today. You can come back another day when it is not so busy to have it stuffed.
If you get in, pay and leave unstuffed and come back Monday or after. They are giving a $10 off coupon as you pay that starts Sunday. Save even more

Coupon starts July 13 and says spend $40 get $10 off, but an accessory later I suppose
Last edited by BernardRyder on Jul 12th, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3811 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
Who's the real winner in all this?

The parents and kids that woke up early and lined up for hours?

Or the employees that now get a half day of work and likely to file for workers comp due to stresses.
Dec 6, 2012
11 posts
3 upvotes
I love the guy in the back with the black hood and smirk watching over the battle for free salt.