Page 1 of 1

Building Code for a Dryer Vent?

Posted: Apr 10th, 2008 7:04 am
by bisk
From what I can tell, our dryer vent is venting from our 2nd floor laundry room up to the roof and not to an exterior wall. We're having issues with the vent getting plugged with lint though and it's causing our dryer to over heat and shut off. Is there a specific building code for the vent? I'm thinking that we might need to add a fan to help pull the warm air our of the vent. The house is less than a year old, I wonder if I can approach the builder to fix this?

Re: Building Code for a Dryer Vent?

Posted: Apr 10th, 2008 7:44 am
by CanadianMoFo
A dryer vent can be run to the roof, soffit, or through the wall. I've seen all those kits on the shelf at building supply stores.

Maybe you need to clean out the dryer itself? Lint can build up in the fan inside and reduce it's performance. I clean mine out once a year or so. Also the vent tube past the dryer may be clogged. Not sure how to resolve that.

If its reasonable to access on the roof, I'd also check the exterior vent. There may be a clog of lint there, or even a birds nest.

CM

Posted: Apr 10th, 2008 12:54 pm
by Techhead
The vent has to vent to the outside.

As for Code? The only other thing I can think of is that it should not be one of those plastic flexable ducts.

Posted: Apr 10th, 2008 2:45 pm
by jm1
Don't know about the code, but in terms of the venting, in general:

- minimal length and bends so lint doesn't get trapped
- ridgid metal is best, followed by flexible metal, but stretch it out to minimize folds where lint could get trapped. Don't use plastic because of the hot air might melt it
- sharp bends will greatly reduce airflow

If there are too many sharp bends and it has to go far up, I could see how the air might not be strong enough to defeat gravity and some lint would float back down when it shuts off.

Don't know if venting to the outside is required per the Canadian bldg codes, but in many southern areas, venting to an attic is fine. However, in colder climates, warm air meeting cold air = condensation if your attic doesn't have enough ventilation and your rafters, etc. will degrade and rot faster, so it's always better to vent outside regardless of code. Maybe it'll be okay in moderate areas like Vancouver.

I assume you're cleaning out the lint trap after every load, right? And the lint trap doesn't have any holes or rips in it and is securely fastened along the edges? That has to be a lot of lint that isn't captured by your lint trap to have your vent "plugged with lint".

Posted: Apr 10th, 2008 3:41 pm
by Dustbunny
Also check your lint trap to see if it is blocked. It may look fine but if you use dryer sheets like Bounce, they can form an invisible barrier that won't allow air through (thus overheating the machine). The test is to take the trap and see if tap water will run through it freely. If it doesn't, the thing is coated and you need to get some soap and wash it off until water will pass through.

Posted: Apr 10th, 2008 3:45 pm
by 3weddings
Hehe....our builder didn't even put one in! For the last 13 years I pull my dryer out monthly, and vacuum out the vent they retrofitted :mad:

If you are experiencing issues, there is a kit at Home Depot that is mean for ventless installations. You put water into it to assist.

Posted: Apr 10th, 2008 3:50 pm
by Techhead
jm1 wrote: Don't know about the code, but in terms of the venting, in general:

- minimal length and bends so lint doesn't get trapped
- ridgid metal is best, followed by flexible metal, but stretch it out to minimize folds where lint could get trapped. Don't use plastic because of the hot air might melt it
- sharp bends will greatly reduce airflow

If there are too many sharp bends and it has to go far up, I could see how the air might not be strong enough to defeat gravity and some lint would float back down when it shuts off.

Don't know if venting to the outside is required per the Canadian bldg codes, but in many southern areas, venting to an attic is fine. However, in colder climates, warm air meeting cold air = condensation if your attic doesn't have enough ventilation and your rafters, etc. will degrade and rot faster, so it's always better to vent outside regardless of code. Maybe it'll be okay in moderate areas like Vancouver.
I assume you're cleaning out the lint trap after every load, right? And the lint trap doesn't have any holes or rips in it and is securely fastened along the edges? That has to be a lot of lint that isn't captured by your lint trap to have your vent "plugged with lint".
I would recommend against leaving the vent in your attic, unless you are will ing to seriously jepardize your health. Mold will grow in no time.

If you have no choice but to vent up through your attic, the duct should also be insulated to lessen the chance of condensation in colder weather.

Posted: Apr 11th, 2008 7:28 am
by bisk
Thanks for all the replies everyone! We clean the lint trap every time we run the dryer. From what I could tell when I took the "flex" tube that connects the dryer to the wall, it looks like the L connection that's directly in the wall is getting plugged. The builder installed a vent fan (like the one in a bathroom), I wonder if we can tap into that to help assist getting the air up the vent to the roof? I used the vacuum to suck the lint out of the vent and the flex tube as well and there was A LOT of lint in there. The house is only 9 months old as is the dryer.

Posted: Apr 11th, 2008 2:07 pm
by jumbojones
I've seen secondary lint traps you can buy that hooks up onto your flex hose, that just means you have an extra one to clean every time. But it saves from your hose getting clogged, I believe they sell them at HD.

Flexible metal vs. flexible foil

Posted: Jun 9th, 2011 2:58 pm
by EugW
Old thread but...
Techhead wrote: The vent has to vent to the outside.

As for Code? The only other thing I can think of is that it should not be one of those plastic flexable ducts.
Isn't use of the flexible foil stuff not recommended either?

The reason I ask is my contractor put in rigid metal for the entire vent except for the last 4 feet or so before it heads outside. For this last piece he used flexible foil. I'm going to ask him to change it to flexible metal but I was wondering if the flexible foil actually met code. (I think the intent was to use the foil temporarily in that spot since he didn't have the flexible metal one handy, and the flexibility was needed because of a mild angle there, but then he forgot about it.)

Posted: Jun 9th, 2011 3:48 pm
by PhuFighter
EugW wrote: Old thread but...

Isn't use of the flexible foil stuff not recommended either?

The reason I ask is my contractor put in rigid metal for the entire vent except for the last 4 feet or so before it heads outside. For this last piece he used flexible foil. I'm going to ask him to change it to flexible metal but I was wondering if the flexible foil actually met code. (I think the intent was to use the foil temporarily in that spot since he didn't have the flexible metal one handy, and the flexibility was needed because of a mild angle there, but then he forgot about it.)

I haven't read any actual code on this, but from what I recall, you can use the flexible metal (not the foil type though) as long as it's not concealed behind a wall. The flexible metal is ok if there's a removable panel. The concern is that it can still be easily punctured, and if it's hidden, you'll never know. I used the rigid metal ducts except for the last couple of feet to my dryer so that I can slide it in and out a bit more easily (and plus, the total run from my dryer to the outside is < 10 ft).

Posted: Jun 9th, 2011 5:34 pm
by MacGyver
You need to clean the dryer duct out regularly, because even the best dryer lint filter will not catch everything. You can buy a dryer vent cleaning kit from Home Hardware, Item #3721-671 and optional extension Item #3721-670. Other places may carry it, too.
The code does not prohibit dryer vents through a roof, although they are more problematic. If still under warranty, definitely contact your builder.

2006 Ontario Building Code

6.2.3.1.(2) This subsection (Part 6) does not apply to the design, construction and installation of air duct distribution systems serving heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems that serve individual dwelling units within the scope of Part 9.

EXCEPT!
9.32.1.1.(5) A clothes dryer exhaust duct system shall conform to Part 6. (the key parts of which follow)

6.2.3.2. Materials in Air Duct Systems
(1) Except as provided in Sentences (2) to (4) and in Article 3.6.4.3., all ducts, duct connectors, associated fittings and plenums used in air duct systems shall be constructed of steel, aluminum alloy, copper, clay, asbestos-cement or similar noncombustible material.

6.2.3.8.(7) Exhaust ducts connected to laundry drying equipment shall be,
(a) independent of other exhaust ducts,
(b) designed and installed so that the entire duct can be cleaned, and
(c) constructed of smooth corrosion-resistant material.

Vinyl is combustible, so it does not meet the requirements of Part 6.

Posted: Jun 9th, 2011 5:40 pm
by PhuFighter
MacGyver wrote: You need to clean the dryer duct out regularly, because even the best dryer lint filter will not catch everything. You can buy a dryer vent cleaning kit from Home Hardware, Item #3721-671 and optional extension Item #3721-670. Other places may carry it, too.
The code does not prohibit dryer vents through a roof, although they are more problematic. If still under warranty, definitely contact your builder.

2006 Ontario Building Code

6.2.3.1.(2) This subsection (Part 6) does not apply to the design, construction and installation of air duct distribution systems serving heating, ventilating and air-conditioning systems that serve individual dwelling units within the scope of Part 9.

EXCEPT!
9.32.1.1.(5) A clothes dryer exhaust duct system shall conform to Part 6. (the key parts of which follow)

6.2.3.2. Materials in Air Duct Systems
(1) Except as provided in Sentences (2) to (4) and in Article 3.6.4.3., all ducts, duct connectors, associated fittings and plenums used in air duct systems shall be constructed of steel, aluminum alloy, copper, clay, asbestos-cement or similar noncombustible material.

6.2.3.8.(7) Exhaust ducts connected to laundry drying equipment shall be,
(a) independent of other exhaust ducts,
(b) designed and installed so that the entire duct can be cleaned, and
(c) constructed of smooth corrosion-resistant material.

Vinyl is combustible, so it does not meet the requirements of Part 6.

I guess smooth material means that the flexible metal ducts are out of the question, eh? :(

Posted: Jun 10th, 2011 11:20 pm
by 38racing
I believe that joints must be taped, no sheet metal screws that would project inside and catch lint.

Posted: Jun 10th, 2011 11:30 pm
by EugW
This site states:

http://www.gtahomeinspector.com/1Reside ... ltant.html

"The IRC will defer to the manufacturer’s instruction, so if the manufacturer’s recommendation permits a longer exhaust vent, that’s acceptable. An inspector probably won’t have the manufacturer’s recommendations, and even if they do, confirming compliance with them exceeds the scope of a General Home Inspection."

My Samsung dryer installation manual states that flexible non-foil metal venting is permitted, but flexible foil metal is not. And yes, no screws, just aluminum tape. For the flexible non-foil metal duct, it cannot be enclosed behind a permanent wall. It must be accessible. Only rigid metal ducts are permitted to be enclosed in a wall.

In my case I'm sort in a grey zone. It is behind a permanent wall, but it is also accessible from the side, because right beside it the wall opens to an open space at the electrical panel. My contractor didn't close that part of the wall off, which in retrospect works to my advantage.

Building Code for a Dryer Vent?.

Posted: Jun 10th, 2011 11:35 pm
by GUNNER61
Bisk,

Here is a chart to try and figure out whether you have to much run for your machine to handle. http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml, if you do not find your appliance then just call the supplier of your machine and ask for the venting specifications for your dryer. One of problems with venting through the attic is too many elbows are put in the run by contractors or the piping run is just to long. My advise would be if you are not sure call in a HVAC contractor and get them to inspect the system for proper diameter of the piping and the flow rate. You might also ask them whether you need to insulate the piping running through your attic to cut down on condensation during the winter months.

JMHO,

Gord

Posted: Jun 28th, 2011 9:21 pm
by THE_click
38racing wrote: I believe that joints must be taped, no sheet metal screws that would project inside and catch lint.
Yep. ;)

Posted: Nov 14th, 2012 11:53 pm
by photoads
Ok so I carry out dryer vent cleaning on a daily basis, to be honest in the construction process the dryer is the last thing thought of I swear!

If your home vents to the roof then a lot of what we see are canplas roof vents (like a black wedge) these have vents that say not for dryer vent yes not for dryer vent yet we see it all the time the dryer vent attached. The reason is it has a very tight plastic screen that the lint sticks too, the approved ones have just a one thin piece of plastic horizontal and one vertical so lint can escape and critters cannot get in.

The length of the dryer vent should not exceed 25 feet (can be over ruled by the dryer manufacturer but not a good rule to follow). Every 90 degree elbow counts as 5 ft and 45 degree 2.5. Many people have thin foil or event the vinyl hose connecting the dryer to the wall this is not recommended (see label on back of the dryer). No screws in ductwork and aluminum foil tale on all joints not duct tape as it breaks down. We also clean out the inside of dryers as lint builds up inside the dryer if the rest of the dryer exhaust system is clogged , which is where all dryer fires start.