• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 8:42 pm
[OP]
Feb 22, 2006
149 posts
15 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Building Code Ventilation Requirements for Basement Laundry Room

I'm currently working on my plans to finish my basement, and the laundry room will be within enclosed walls, with no windows. Dimensions of the room is 7.5'x6'. I was wondering if there is any building code requirement to include a vent (not counting the dryer vent), or return air vent into this room? Also, from my understanding, the minimum door requirement for the laundry room is 32" - is that correct?
5 replies
Nov 26, 2008
354 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
I can't say for sure but I would want that room to have some air movement with the moisture that is in that room. I find when I hang some clothes to dry, it's nice to have my furnace or dehumidifier moving the air around.

I would also look at a 34"or 36" door for ease of moving the appliances in and out.
May 9, 2003
728 posts
45 upvotes
Also, keep in mind that if/when you use the dryer, it will use a lot of air.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7299 posts
1422 upvotes
Brampton
I know this isn't 100% related but if you're renoing now. Add a Natural gas line for the dryer if you're in ontario.

If you have to do laundry during the day (eg because of young kids) it pays for itself fast
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11309 posts
982 upvotes
Kanata
uahmed wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:50 pm
I'm currently working on my plans to finish my basement, and the laundry room will be within enclosed walls, with no windows. Dimensions of the room is 7.5'x6'. I was wondering if there is any building code requirement to include a vent (not counting the dryer vent), or return air vent into this room? Also, from my understanding, the minimum door requirement for the laundry room is 32" - is that correct?
IIRC, the 32" is for a utility room, not necessarily the laundry room. I believe utility room is meant to include the furnace and hot water tank location.
My home was built in 2010, and I don't have a return air in my laundry room. nor is the door 32" wide (I have 2nd floor laundry). I do have a floor vent however.
You can always call the city for this info.