• Nov 14th, 2019 8:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4033 posts
35 upvotes
Hamilton

Building a Detached Garage -- Advice Requested

I'm in Hamilton and looking at what it will take to have a two car garage + workspace/gym built. Due to layout, seeking to minimize width and add length. This is to be built off of a laneway behind the house. There is already a small garage on the property.

I am looking through the municipal regulations and permit requirements. Any advice is welcome, but what I really need is recommended designs and builders. I have been looking at Summerwood https://www.summerwood.com/ but it seems I am outside their normal area for them to build (without extra cost for travel). Sources for the concrete pad and excavation. Friends of mine have DIYed much of it themselves and I know it saves a lot. I am always interested in saving money, but this time I don't have the time, so the DIY route isn't an option.

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12597 posts
6868 upvotes
Toronto
Dedicate garage builders will be able to give you all the details that you are asking for. They will also source/price do the concrete. Typically they request you provide the excavation/flat area but will do it for extra as they would pier/post/retaining wall. No one here is going to be able to tell you the costs.
Suggest you have a survey of your property even before reaching out to a builder so you know your boundaries, they will also know what the bylaws are and will do all the permit work.

I was looking at a single car garage in the 15x20 and on an uneven surface, about $50,000 if they graded it and only put up the structure and siding.

Lots of threads on this, suggest you search and look for garage dedicated builders like http://www.brentwoodcontracting.ca
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4033 posts
35 upvotes
Hamilton
So I did search the forum and there are not really any that I could see that recommended designers or builders for the Hamilton or surrounding area. I appreciate the link to brentwood.

koffey wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 10:07 am
Dedicate garage builders will be able to give you all the details that you are asking for. They will also source/price do the concrete. Typically they request you provide the excavation/flat area but will do it for extra as they would pier/post/retaining wall. No one here is going to be able to tell you the costs.
Suggest you have a survey of your property even before reaching out to a builder so you know your boundaries, they will also know what the bylaws are and will do all the permit work.

I was looking at a single car garage in the 15x20 and on an uneven surface, about $50,000 if they graded it and only put up the structure and siding.

Lots of threads on this, suggest you search and look for garage dedicated builders like http://www.brentwoodcontracting.ca
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4758 posts
1143 upvotes
Kitchener
Check out Home Hardware, they have pre-designed garage packages. You just need to find a contractor to build it
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12597 posts
6868 upvotes
Toronto
Drthorne wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 8:55 pm
Check out Home Hardware, they have pre-designed garage packages. You just need to find a contractor to build it
Yeah, this is an option as well. For a 18x30 with a concrete pad, it was about $30k with pad, but not built. Single access door and 2 windows.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯