None
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
58 upvotes
Mississauga
carmaster wrote:
Dec 18th, 2010 11:22 am
That's the perception that people have. They automatically assume that Bulk Barn has cheaper prices. The same thing with Costco, some items are actually more expensive on a per unit basis compared to Wal-Mart etc.
Whats cheaper at Wal-Mart than Costco?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10133 posts
585 upvotes
Scott84 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2010 12:17 am
Whats cheaper at Wal-Mart than Costco?

Many things, however the comparison isn't always valid as Costco's quality is higher for many products, also Costco can't compete with some of the sales that Walmart has, etc etc etc.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5136 posts
49 upvotes
Chuckled wrote:
Dec 29th, 2010 3:58 pm
I forgot you were a fellow Ottawan, until you said "Carlingwood", and the lights went on. Yeah, Australian ginger is a real rip-off at Bulk Barn. I find that the cheapest, most pungent ginger can be found at Food Basics. The brand is called "tostinos", and is about half the price of Bulk Barn's.
I will check at Foodbasics.
never knew they had ginger there.

I just bought in the US a 5kg box of Australian ginger from gingerpeople.com
it is the best quality,but kind of expensive.
11lbs/5kg was almost $90
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2010
2021 posts
15 upvotes
Both my wife and I don't shop at Bulk Barn because of the prices.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2876 posts
451 upvotes
I recently purchased (on separate days) pistachios and pine nuts at Bulk Barn. In both instances, the cashiers said "You ARE AWARE OF THE PRICE per kilogram for these, right?" before ringing them through because they were so damn expensive she wanted to ensure that I was prepared for the shock when she announced my total a few moments later..
Bookpreviews wrote:
Dec 18th, 2010 7:08 pm
Bulk barn is also expensive for Australian ginger and theirs is not so tasty.
usually I order the Ginger people brand and it is the only good brand I tried so far out of the 20 or so places I samples in the past few years...
(reed's ginger brand is just yuck and bad esp in the tins, reeds ginger candy is good).
The other day I happened to stop in at a 'Freshco' supermarket as there isn't one in my town and I'd never been to one before. In their bulk-bin section, I noticed candied/crystallized ginger - an item which I'd recently purchased at Bulk Barn, as I do every Christmas in order to make chocolate-dipped treats. I couldn't believe the price .. it was $0.69/100g -- way cheaper than Bulk Barn!

I don't normally buy 'bulk-bin' items from supermarkets ("More expensive, right?, and it probably doesn't get used up as fast!") but at that price, I decided to buy some, and after going to Bulk Barn again to confirm their price and buy some more, do a taste-test comparison.

Bulk Barn's price: $31.29/kg :-0
Freshco's price: $6.90/kg :)

The comparison:
- BB's crystallized ginger was in 'slice' form; Freshco's was cube-ish chunks. I would *prefer* slices for my normal use, but really, shape is not that important to me.
- BB's was thickly-sugared (>sugar= >profit for BB), soft & 'jelly-like' and moist to the bite; Freshco's was adequately-but-not-overly sugared, a bit more firm and drier than the BB product but still soft to the bite and *not* 'dry'. Both products were individually good.
- BB's crystallized ginger had good ginger flavour, but was mild in spiciness; Freshco's was very gingery and had good strong ginger heat! In a back-to-back comparison, I have to say that Freshco's was superior in the flavour dept.

Conclusion: I will not be buying candied crystallized ginger from Bulk Barn again!

Btw, 'gingerpeople.com''s price on bulk crystallized ginger is 5lb bag (2.27kg) for $60US. Not even taking into account shipping charges, that's $26.43/kg - cheaper than BB but almost 4x Freshco's price.
Aug 4, 2010
898 posts
43 upvotes
RenegadeX wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2011 1:32 pm
I recently purchased (on separate days) pistachios and pine nuts at Bulk Barn. In both instances, the cashiers said "You ARE AWARE OF THE PRICE per kilogram for these, right?" before ringing them through because they were so damn expensive she wanted to ensure that I was prepared for the shock when she announced my total a few moments later..

The other day I happened to stop in at a 'Freshco' supermarket as there isn't one in my town and I'd never been to one before. In their bulk-bin section, I noticed candied/crystallized ginger - an item which I'd recently purchased at Bulk Barn, as I do every Christmas in order to make chocolate-dipped treats. I couldn't believe the price .. it was $0.69/100g -- way cheaper than Bulk Barn!

I don't normally buy 'bulk-bin' items from supermarkets ("More expensive, right?, and it probably doesn't get used up as fast!") but at that price, I decided to buy some, and after going to Bulk Barn again to confirm their price and buy some more, do a test-test comparison.

Bulk Barn's price: $31.29/kg :-0
Freshco's price: $6.90/kg :)

The comparison:
- BB's crystallized ginger was in 'slice' form; Freshco's was cube-ish chunks. I would *prefer* slices for my normal use, but really, shape is not that important to me.
- BB's was thickly-sugared (>sugar= >profit for BB), soft & 'jelly-like' and moist to the bite; Freshco's was adequately-but-not-overly sugared, a bit more firm and drier than the BB product but still soft to the bite and *not* 'dry'. Both products were individually good.
- BB's crystallized ginger had good ginger flavour, but was mild in spiciness; Freshco's was very gingery and had good strong ginger heat! In a back-to-back comparison, I have to say that Freshco's was superior in the flavour dept.

Conclusion: I will not be buying candied crystallized ginger from Bulk Barn again!

Btw, 'gingerpeople.com''s price on bulk crystallized ginger is 5lb bag (2.27kg) for $60US. Not even taking into account shipping charges, that's $26.43/kg - cheaper than BB but almost 4x Freshco's price.

Thank you VERY much. My mom loves ginger and I'll make sure she gets word of this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2005
5859 posts
100 upvotes
i noticed that Bulk Barn sells alot of stale mix nuts!
Aug 4, 2010
898 posts
43 upvotes
jonkaho wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2011 2:15 pm
i noticed that Bulk Barn sells alot of stale mix nuts!

And macadamia nuts/brazil nuts, they're atrocious.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1350 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
Bulk Barn peanut butter, Almonds, most nuts = Ripoff

better off buying "no name" or those $5 baggys @ Walmart, or President's Choice stuff...
Feb 28, 2013
1 posts
Winnipeg
Have been comparing prices with Super Store and all the ones I checked yesterday are cheaper than Bulk Barn. I don't buy much there anymore unless I get a good coupon!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2474 posts
244 upvotes
North York
After reading this thread I wonder why bulk barn is still in business.

Only time I remember going there was when I was young, we'd go buy a couple of bags of candy to take into the movies, much cheaper then buying at the movies.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
706 upvotes
They used to have a $3off $10 coupon. Now they're playing with the buy $10 and get $5 credit for later. I dont like this company much. Scammers preying on the stupid.
Jul 29, 2007
229 posts
19 upvotes
People go there to snack for free that is the reason why the prices are so high
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3833 posts
1092 upvotes
Calgary
It's funny, for whatever reason I always believed that Bulk Barn was a subdivision of Loblaws similar to No Frills / No Brands as the branding is extremely similar. I wouldn't doubt that they get more business simply on that basis. Never saw the draw when places like Superstore with large variety of bulk items are much neater and cheaper.
Oct 8, 2011
6 posts
BARRIE
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 10:58 am
I usually stick to Bulk Barn for spices, waaaay cheaper than buying in the grocery store.

Definitely not my experience. Many places have lower spice costs less than BB. Even Zehrs, with their outrageous prices, have a bulk section that is often cheaper. The only reason I go to BB is for their psyllium husk (only place that has bulk)...and I always maximize the savings by buying exactly $10 worth with their discount coupon.

I can believe the people that use Bulk Barn...I have to assume that cost is not the issue with them. I put Bulk Barn near the top of the Canadian Retail corporations rip off cartel.