Bulk Barn Prices high?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 11:19 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 15, 2013
1 posts
TORONTO
Every time I go to the Bulk Barn I come away disappointed with a lighter wallet. Even a friend of mine who managed a Bulk barn with her husband for years no longer shops at them saying their prices have gone through the roof. That aside, I find their teas very expensive and they are not well looked after in that they seem to be cross contaminated with the assam tasting like fruit was added, the Earl Grey is of poorest quality and a strong perfume smell of a cheap bergamont. The Ceylon tea is of poor quality and too bitter or acid. If anyone who takes these teas think they are good, then they don't know their teas. Having lived abroad and in the UK for many years I think I can say I know something, plus I used to purvey teas and spices from abroad. The toasted wheat germ is obviously rancid with that acid oil smell that rancid things have. Having been in the health industry for over 40 years, I can say that the Bulk Barn rates on par, for me, with the Good Will stores who take something free and charge higher prices, make money off the backs of the poor and unsuspecting. They may have been good one time, but now it is a money making machine, the lowest form of health food shops....I am just frustrated by the crap I am offered sometimes.
Feb 4, 2017
4 posts
I bought 20 grams of crushed chili peppers at Bulk Barns and almost dropped when they asked for over $2 for it. In comparison, Walmart wanted $1.97 for a 200 gram bag, so I bought that one and returned BB's pitiful little bag to them for refund. Another example is their peanuts -- a complete ripoff!! BB wants $7.00 a kilogram (70 cents/100 g) yet Walmart sells theirs for $3.97. I've never seen ANY store that has the gall to ask $7 for a 1-kg bag of peanuts in the shell. Be VERY careful shopping at Bulk Barn. Many or perhaps most items are over-priced.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1451 posts
432 upvotes
Nice resurrection of a 4 year old thread. If you still don't know Bulk Barn prices are really, really inflated then you've been living in a cave. That place is for the mathematically challenged.
Mar 14, 2006
336 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
I only buy spices at Bulkbarn. Pretty cheap.
Jan 2, 2012
99 posts
19 upvotes
My math might be off but I find buying their steel cut oats when its on sale and combining with a 3 off 10 coupon is cheaper then buying elsewhere.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14065 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto
Ya generally they are overpriced on many items especially Nuts. Costco is the cheapest when it comes to Nuts.
Jul 31, 2017
228 posts
42 upvotes
I think Bulk Barn has done well on making the shopping experience feel like winning the lottery. They probably know that and probably raised their prices to match that.
Feb 4, 2017
4 posts
carmaster wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 1:31 pm
Ya generally they are overpriced on many items especially Nuts. Costco is the cheapest when it comes to Nuts.
I sent an email to Bulk Barn asking them to justify the price of their roasted in-shell peanuts at $7 a kilo. If they answer, which I doubt they will (as they can't possible say anything convincing), I'll post the reply. I pointed out that Walmart wants $3.97 for the same quantity.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8067 posts
1262 upvotes
I only buy if on sale and I have a $3 off a $10 purchase coupon.

Otherwise there is not much cheap at Bulk Barn. I see people buying bags of stuff there - I don't think they know their pricing.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1020 posts
186 upvotes
paulosaysctsucks wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 1:48 pm
I sent an email to Bulk Barn asking them to justify the price of their roasted in-shell peanuts at $7 a kilo.
Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14065 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto
If they ever respond back. They will say "our peanuts are premium quality".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5540 posts
1363 upvotes
wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2010 10:23 am
This is very true. It's about $1/lb there for steel cut oats vs $6/lb at Brunos (for Mccan's). Not sure the price at loblaws, but it can't beat BB.

Also, I always go in there for a couple dollars worth of steel cut oats, and leave with $50 worth of candy, chocolate and rice cracker mix. I think I may have a BB problem...
I buy my steel cut oats at Aldi in the States - 2.5 lb cardboard cylinder for $2.29. Somehow I can't bring myself to purchase anything at Bulk Barn after watching people sticking their hands in the bins to graze.
Jan 2, 2012
99 posts
19 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:28 pm
I buy my steel cut oats at Aldi in the States - 2.5 lb cardboard cylinder for $2.29. Somehow I can't bring myself to purchase anything at Bulk Barn after watching people sticking their hands in the bins to graze.
Anyone grazing in their steel cut oats are going need some new teeth Face With Tears Of Joy On sale their oats are 21cents per 100g, so at 2.1 per kg, its a pretty good price.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5540 posts
1363 upvotes
I prefer this for slightly more money - no danger of dirty hands, dirty scoops, people sneezing on my oats :