Bulk Barn Prices high?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 11:19 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 29, 2013
369 posts
138 upvotes
I buy my Christmas cake ingredients at Bulk Buy. I obviously do not know math.

Can anyone suggest an alternative shop? Thank you for sharing.
Feb 4, 2017
4 posts
carmaster wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 3:20 pm
If they ever respond back. They will say "our peanuts are premium quality".
They replied saying that their Merchandising Department can't comment on the price difference of BB's $7 a kilo for roasted peanuts in the shell vs Walmart's price of $3.97 because they don't know the origin of Walmart's product. I replied assuring them that Walmart's product was of equal or superior quality, regardless of origin. As for the huge price difference for crushed chili flakes in favour of Walmart, they simply claimed that I was wrong and theirs is cheaper, but I assure you that was not the case -- BB's was vastly more expensive -- a ridiculous price. Perhaps the store I purchased it from got the pricing wrong by a digit because I'm quite sure it was 10 times more expensive at BB.

I guess enough people fall for Bunk Barn's bad pricing on so many items that head office doesn't have concerns from customers for any claims of bad pricing policy. Frankly, the uncertainty of knowing how long the products have sat in those bins and the chance of dirty little hands touching it before I might buy is a turn off anyway, so although I'll likely use Bunk Barn for some things, I certainly won't make a purchase without knowing their price is at least competitive.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1451 posts
432 upvotes
paulosaysctsucks wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 11:07 am
They replied saying that their Merchandising Department can't comment on the price difference of BB's $7 a kilo for roasted peanuts in the shell vs Walmart's price of $3.97 because they don't know the origin of Walmart's product. I replied assuring them that Walmart's product was of equal or superior quality, regardless of origin. As for the huge price difference for crushed chili flakes in favour of Walmart, they simply claimed that I was wrong and theirs is cheaper, but I assure you that was not the case -- BB's was vastly more expensive -- a ridiculous price. Perhaps the store I purchased it from got the pricing wrong by a digit because I'm quite sure it was 10 times more expensive at BB.

I guess enough people fall for Bunk Barn's bad pricing on so many items that head office doesn't have concerns from customers for any claims of bad pricing policy. Frankly, the uncertainty of knowing how long the products have sat in those bins and the chance of dirty little hands touching it before I might buy is a turn off anyway, so although I'll likely use Bunk Barn for some things, I certainly won't make a purchase without knowing their price is at least competitive.
That they even bothered replying to me tells me they've never had a customer email them about price comparisons. I think the situation speaks for itself when you have Walmart dedicated space for bulk spices/candies/nuts at their stores. They added this last year, I'm guessing after seeing how well bulk barn is doing.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1021 posts
186 upvotes
I shop at BB for selection, not the price.

If I need something in large quantity where price matters, I go to Costco.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4747 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
BB used to be a discount store, with their slogans such as, " why pay for the package?". Today they still "look" like a discount store, but really a fake one. There are too many stores that can compete in bulk. It seems most here already know it's only good for a few tbsp of spices and selection.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jan 2, 2015
974 posts
364 upvotes
Just like everywhere else, you have to know your prices. My foots for bulk barn are

Gelatine powder
Sprinkles
Certain sprices that I don’t use in bulk
Specific candies I use for decorating things like cookies, gingerhouse, cakes,
Food Coloring
Almond flavouring

That being said my spouse and kids always find something they just have to have so we get that too, even tough it ma6 be higher priced.

I also go their when I trying out new ingredients and am not sure I like them or not.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1417 posts
448 upvotes
Ontario
Up until a few years ago, I didn't notice how expensive Bulk Barn is, then one day I bought a big bag of wild rice and couldn't believe my eyes at the price. Have bought nice individually sealed packages at a lower price/kg ever since and rarely go there anymore.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14065 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto
I rarely ever buy from Bulk barn. Overpriced and not very fresh.
Apr 9, 2012
276 posts
113 upvotes
profile wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:08 pm
I buy my Christmas cake ingredients at Bulk Buy. I obviously do not know math.

Can anyone suggest an alternative shop? Thank you for sharing.
Alternatives to Bulk Barn rip off priices are chain grocers that offer bulk sections & a few higher priced online sellers BUT grocer prices are also often high. Eg: Stuporstore has a decent bulk section but their prices are similar for most things. SavOn as well & few sales. Wartmart's bulk section is poor & small & few deals. I check out a few stores & just compare the sale prices & buy only when one of them has the best sale price vs. if I want or "need" an item. I'll wait it out for a sale price if I need something vs. paying the regular high price. I rarely "must have" anything & so can wait for the sale. I check the Bulk Barn website for sales before I go shopping for bulk items, as their prices are often very high on most things & that way I usually don't even have to go there.

As far as the math goes, it's not difficult & if you have or use a Smartphone, check for price comparison apps. Google Play Store has a couple of free ones that do the math of cost per weight & it's easy to change either on the fly. I keep a list of regular sought after items & have done the cost per weight in the list of the regular cost & sale costs, then it's easy once at a store or looking online to see what matches my list. I found the grocery apps didn't do that well for comparing & keeping track of prices, vs. just one price, compared to my own simple list. Takes a bit of work while watching TV or waiting for an appt but now that it's done, it's easy to maintain & saves me from errors when in a hurry. Who knew that instant coffee is $22+/kg when they only sell small jars for several dollars & the jars weight almost nothing. Some stores are poor at putting both Kgs & LBs on shelf price stickers, so it's nice to have an app that can quickly make the right calculation.