• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 11:15 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes

Bulk beef jerky?

anyone know where to get beef jerky cheap?

It's so good but it's so expensive. Ive been getting jack links 85g packs at the gas station

I don't care about brand or flavour
50 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1883 posts
4598 upvotes
FHill
Try Costco If you have access as they carry different beef and pork brands
Apr 4, 2012
627 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: anyone know where to get beef jerky cheap?

It's so good but it's so expensive. Ive been getting jack links 85g packs at the gas station

What about dehydrating your own
I make it every two week out of the 2kg of flank from Costco
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
toronto19850 wrote: anyone know where to get beef jerky cheap?

This would be an expensive option at the gas station. Costco has several kinds.

I also agree about dehydrating your own. You can get the grocery store or butcher (not at Costco), to slice it evenly for you usually for free. I used to make it all the time, and do different flavours and glazes.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
339 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: This would be an expensive option at the gas station. Costco has several kinds.

I also agree about dehydrating your own. You can get the grocery store or butcher (not at Costco), to slice it evenly for you usually for free. I used to make it all the time, and do different flavours and glazes.
No Kidding the homemade are better then the Kirkland ones. I remember when I was travelling to Alberta. I stopped at several Pop's Ma' gas station on my way and man I spent a ton of homemade Jerky's. I had to try them all. Ever since then I go to specialty shops for them and dont buy them at costco no Petro Can.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
nataliya64605 wrote: What about dehydrating your own
I make it every two week out of the 2kg of flank from Costco

I CAN'T COOK Disappointed But Relieved Face
I'd probably mess up and make it raw and get food poisoning lol

how easy is it?
Omakase wrote: Try Costco If you have access as they carry different beef and pork brands
I think my friend told me either jack links or Costco large bag (200g+) was $10
ill check it out tomorrow, does Costco take visa? I haven't gone in a while
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1883 posts
4598 upvotes
FHill
toronto19850 wrote:
Mastercard
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
estevens wrote: No Kidding the homemade are better then the Kirkland ones. I remember when I was travelling to Alberta. I stopped at several Pop's Ma' gas station on my way and man I spent a ton of homemade Jerky's. I had to try them all. Ever since then I go to specialty shops for them and dont buy them at costco no Petro Can.
If you were in Alberta, the one beef jerky that is worth the money is the Long view beef jerk6. It used t9 be gas station, Longview and specialty shops, now, it every where. It’s more costly, but I did find it was really good
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
toronto19850 wrote: I CAN'T COOK Disappointed But Relieved Face
I'd probably mess up and make it raw and get food poisoning lol

how easy is it?

MasterCard only,

There is not cooking but you do need a food dehydrator. The hardest part is slicing the meat evenly, but like I said most butchers and major grocers will do it for you. You just rinse it, throw in a bag, and marinade it, and then put it on your dehydrator. Occasionally turn it depending on the type of dehydrator.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on Feb 27th, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: MasterCard only,

There is not cooking but you do need a food dehydrator. The hardest part is slicing the meat evenly, but like I said most butchers and major grocers will do it for you. You just rinse it, throw in a bag, and marinade it, and then put it on your dehydrator. Occasionally turn it depending on the type of dehydrator.
So it goes from raw to edible just like that? How long do you have to dehydrate?

and can I dehydrate anything? salmon, chicken, pork, ?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: MasterCard only,

how much is a dehydrator? how long do you dehyrate? It goes from raw to edible just like that?

Can I do this with chicken, pork, fish?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1883 posts
4598 upvotes
FHill
Ymmv this shoppers drug mart is clearing out the 75g for $2. Expiry dates are July and October 2018
12122BF1-9D1D-4A31-937F-4C76490B6B64.jpeg
519469B0-6519-4938-8559-6CB52E79B2F3.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Omakase wrote: Ymmv this shoppers drug mart is clearing out the 75g for $2. Expiry dates are July and October 2018

12122BF1-9D1D-4A31-937F-4C76490B6B64.jpeg

519469B0-6519-4938-8559-6CB52E79B2F3.jpeg
meh im in richmondhill/ markham, I'll check later today but I doubt there's any
is that downtown? I hate parking there or I'd make the trip and buy it all lol

good find though

wait a second, did you buy it online? whys the receipt online? optimum card?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1883 posts
4598 upvotes
FHill
toronto19850 wrote: meh im in richmondhill/ markham, I'll check later today but I doubt there's any
is that downtown? I hate parking there or I'd make the trip and buy it all lol

good find though

wait a second, did you buy it online? whys the receipt online? optimum card?
Leslie south of steeles where the Pickle Barrel is
SDM always sends me an online receipt copy
There were 8-10 packs of each left
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Omakase wrote: Leslie south of steeles where the Pickle Barrel is
SDM always sends me an online receipt copy
There were 8-10 packs of each left
hm I may make the trip, thats not far at all

it seems my shoppers is not a fan of clearance prices.. $6 each
THE SWEET CHIPOTLE ONE EXPIRED IN JANUARY.

Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
toronto19850 wrote:
So it goes from raw to edible just like that? How long do you have to dehydrate?

and can I dehydrate anything? salmon, chicken, pork, ?
You will need to follow the instructions for the specific dehydrator for times. It varies on humidity, temperature, thickness of meat, etc It’s not magic in terms of ‘just like that’. I marinade over night or two nights at least, then dehydrating varies.

I have down mostly beef, fruits and veggies. I am chicken to do chicken and other meats.
toronto19850 wrote: how much is a dehydrator? how long do you dehyrate? It goes from raw to edible just like that?

Can I do this with chicken, pork, fish?
Again, do your research. YMMV for your needs. I bought mine 20 + years ago, so have no idea. Now, with the internet there are options to do it in your oven. I would have done this if the internet was available then.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: You will need to follow the instructions for the specific dehydrator for times. It varies on humidity, temperature, thickness of meat, etc It’s not magic in terms of ‘just like that’. I marinade over night or two nights at least, then dehydrating varies.

I have down mostly beef, fruits and veggies. I am chicken to do chicken and other meats.

Again, do your research. YMMV for your needs. I bought mine 20 + years ago, so have no idea. Now, with the internet there are options to do it in your oven. I would have done this if the internet was available then.
how fresh does the jerky stay, or does it need to be air vacuum sealed?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
toronto19850 wrote: how fresh does the jerky stay, or does it need to be air vacuum sealed?
Vacuum sealed does make it last longest. You can use good mason jars too. It really depends on how much moisture is left in. I personally like my jerky more moist, and I also some times add a little honey glaze near the end. I have noticed that it doesn’t seem to last as long. I would guess a month or two. We don’t have it around that long because we eat it.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: Vacuum sealed does make it last longest. You can use good mason jars too. It really depends on how much moisture is left in. I personally like my jerky more moist, and I also some times add a little honey glaze near the end. I have noticed that it doesn’t seem to last as long. I would guess a month or two. We don’t have it around that long because we eat it.
yea, jerky tastes better a little moist, like hot rods
I looked into it and it looked quite expensive, might just get them at Costco.

is there anything you can do to moisten the store bought ones? or is it too late for that?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
toronto19850 wrote: yea, jerky tastes better a little moist, like hot rods
I looked into it and it looked quite expensive, might just get them at Costco.

is there anything you can do to moisten the store bought ones? or is it too late for that?
You buy a brand that is more moist. Rehydrating to the ‘right’ moistness without screwing up the taste. Is harder than making it. I have ono6 tried to rehydrate jerky tha5 was really old (almost unedible) to a not awful edible state. Not to make it better.

Also, in terms of costs, you have to look at not the price of the machine but also how much beef jerky do you consume and is it worth it to make it. I made 20 lbs once, which I think covered the cost of the machine. I don’t make it very often now, because we don’t eat it as much.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)