Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
6024 posts
2116 upvotes
Toronto

Bulk Sunflowers Seeds - Where to buy?

I'm looking for bulk sunflower seeds (unsalted), but the thing is, they must still be shelled. I've been to No Frills, but was only able to find bulk sunflower seeds that were already deshelled.

Does anyone know where I can buy bulk sunflower seeds, unsalted, and still shelled?

Thanks, in advance.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
hi there sir,

i see you are located in downtown toronto and may not have access to this store but what about Bulk Barn?

closest i see to downtown core is Leslie/Lakeshore...however, somewhat easier ones that you can access from the TTC is at Shoppers World Danforth (vic park station on the bloor line)...this shouldnt take too long from say bathurst and bloor.. maybe 15-20 min subway?

sorry if this is USELESS but just trying to help!
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
6024 posts
2116 upvotes
Toronto
grappos13 wrote: hi there sir,

i see you are located in downtown toronto and may not have access to this store but what about Bulk Barn?

closest i see to downtown core is Leslie/Lakeshore...however, somewhat easier ones that you can access from the TTC is at Shoppers World Danforth (vic park station on the bloor line)...this shouldnt take too long from say bathurst and bloor.. maybe 15-20 min subway?

sorry if this is USELESS but just trying to help!
Why thank you, kind sir. You are indeed correct, there is not a Bulk Barn within my proximity which would viable for travel. I shall, however, keep this notion in thought if I ever do come across one.
buzzandwoody27 wrote: try a pet store. Used for bird seed.

Dumb question, would sunflower seeds from a pet store be edible for consumption by humans lol? Feels kind of weird going to a pet store -_-
As of now, I've been going to the convenient store to buy Spitz sunflower seeds, but it's not really cost effective.

Thanks for the replies!
Oct 13, 2007
87 posts
14 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
I'm in the Greater Vancouver area and I have been buying the Chacheer brand of sunflower seeds. The package shows salted, but in fact they are very low salt. I was initially buying Spitz, but I saw the Chacheer brand at T&T Foods for a very reasonable price so I decided to try them out. I like them much better than Spitz and much cheaper. Give them a try. I buy the plain, but they have other flavours as well. Let me know how you like 'em.

Personally, I am not a fan of buying bulk foods. I'd rather have them packaged if there is no cooking involved.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Xeerochild wrote: would sunflower seeds from a pet store be edible for consumption by humans lol?
Absolutely not! Sunflower seeds found in the pet stores (or in pet food section in any chain store i.e. Walmart) are not suitable for human consumption. All bird sunflower seeds (black oil type) in Canada are treated with chemicals. Plus these sunflower seeds are raw, not roasted. The only way you can make food out of such seeds is to sprout for greens. I have grown sunflower greens from bird sunflower seeds and they are edible that way. On the other hand, if you're looking for raw sunflower seeds in bulk you can try Mumm's Canada at http://www.sprouting.com They carry raw organic sunflower seeds in bulk but definitely not cheap.
Jul 16, 2007
307 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
althetrainer wrote: Absolutely not! Sunflower seeds found in the pet stores (or in pet food section in any chain store i.e. Walmart) are not suitable for human consumption. All bird sunflower seeds (black oil type) in Canada are treated with chemicals. Plus these sunflower seeds are raw, not roasted. The only way you can make food out of such seeds is to sprout for greens. I have grown sunflower greens from bird sunflower seeds and they are edible that way. On the other hand, if you're looking for raw sunflower seeds in bulk you can try Mumm's Canada at http://www.sprouting.com They carry raw organic sunflower seeds in bulk but definitely not cheap.

Treated with chemicals eh? Wouldn't that kill the birds?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
I'll probably get flamed for this, but try to take it in the helpful spirit in which it is intended: If you're eating sunflower seeds in such quantity that you need to find a bulk deal (and assuming you crack them open with your teeth like everyone else) you're possibly doing substantial damage to your dentition. You might want to ask your dentist about this . . .or just google

sunflower seeds tooth damage

... and you'll get plenty of info. If you must continue consuming massive quantities, try to at least vary the area of your mouth where you crack them. Cheers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
So little information from OP. Are you looking for the smaller black oil sunflower seeds or the more regular large ones? Is this for human consumption or for birds? Are you looking for a small package or a 20kg sack?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
Xeerochild wrote: I'm looking for bulk sunflower seeds (unsalted), but the thing is, they must still be shelled. I've been to No Frills, but was only able to find bulk sunflower seeds that were already deshelled.

Does anyone know where I can buy bulk sunflower seeds, unsalted, and still shelled?

Thanks, in advance.
Do you even know what "shelled" means? It means the shells have been REMOVED.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
I have grown sunflowers in the garden and harvested their seeds. It is really easy. The hard part, I find, is eating them because I have to crack open the shell with my teeth, and it is time consuming as hell. Another downside is that rats love sunflower seeds; if you have a rat infestation, I do not recommend growing your own.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)