• Sep 15th, 2018 11:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 22, 2006
726 posts
454 upvotes
Ontario

Bumping of old threads

I'm almost positive that RFD mods have to approve any new poster's initial post. So, I'm confused how some of these posts are getting approved. There seems to be an increase in this activity lately.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/metro-f ... 1286410/2/ (bumped twice in 5 years)

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/winners ... -a-478733/ (bumped twice in 11 years)

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/roundab ... 1720939/4/ (bumped twice in 3 years with a final bump from a long time member)

How is this happening exactly? Are the mods bored? How are these obviously misguided posts getting approved?
6 replies
Sep 30, 2001
27074 posts
6000 upvotes
Toronto
It happens. Posts in the queue do not show the age of the thread they're responding to. The only option is to manually check each thread - something i don't have the time or patience for.

edit: I agree with Redmask. sometimes there's a thread which has good info, or perhaps there's an update to an existing issue so a bump may be warranted.
Don't talk about it, be about it
[OP]
Oct 22, 2006
726 posts
454 upvotes
Ontario
MrDisco wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 3:26 am
It happens. Posts in the queue do not show the age of the thread they're responding to. The only option is to manually check each thread - something i don't have the time or patience for.
C'mon, you have to earn your paycheque somehow! J/K

I understand how that would be a tedious process. Thanks for answering.
Aug 20, 2009
6602 posts
1257 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm often looking for other things in the queue (spam, adverts, etc) so the odd time something slips through. I will usually check threads where new users are posting but the odd time you get interrupted or you just don't have time. If you report a post in the thread and explain that there is a necro bump then we will usually lock it. There are also rare times where something is sufficiently niche or its in the best interest of the community to allow a necro bump (old thread in Scammers and Warnings for example).

Tom was talking about the devs doing something with auto-expiration for old threads but its probably low priority vs other new features and bug fixes.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30586 posts
5501 upvotes
Ottawa
Problem is, if someone posts something and it is already been posted, regardless of how old, there are a number of RFDers that will crap on the poster with "hey, use the search function".
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2520 posts
2032 upvotes
Vancouver
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 4:12 pm
Problem is, if someone posts something and it is already been posted, regardless of how old, there are a number of RFDers that will crap on the poster with "hey, use the search function".
Agree. I found a pet peeve thread in Off Topic that hadn't posted in for a while, so I posted in it. Sure enough someone said not to bump old threads. If I started a new thread I'm sure someone would have told me not to clutter up the forum with a new thread when there's already an existing thread on that topic, and to do a search next time.

I agree that threads like the OP posted shouldn't be bumped. But a general off-topic discussion thread like a pet peeve thread? Way better to resurrect it than start a new thread.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2006
726 posts
454 upvotes
Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 4:12 pm
I agree that would happen in many circumstances. But I'm not against rude regulars getting infractions for being rude.
Kiraly wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 5:55 pm
But a general off-topic discussion thread like a pet peeve thread? Way better to resurrect it than start a new thread.
I agree in this instance too. There does need to be some leniency.

Here's a bizarre example of non-noob activity which I'm totally against: A user (shall remain anonymous) resurrected 7 threads yesterday in the expired deals forum to ask the same copy/pasted question in every one of them. Seriously? There's enough topics as there is. I just wish people would stop polluting the forums with idiotic requests.

After the above 2 mod responses, I've now realized it would be too tedious to monitor all 1st time posters. There needs to be some sort of give/take though on bumping old topics. Perhaps an auto-expire attribute could be added which would lock them after 2 years or so.