Jan 7, 2002
14099 posts
6520 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 2:08 pm
@1226 bumps a 2.5 year old thread...

odometer-stuck-299-999-a-1917587/
What's the problem? The new poster is reporting the same issue as 2.5 years ago. That adds value to discussion of this issue.

If he started a new thread then people wouldn't see previous comments on this issue, e.g. that it's prevalent on Toyota and variants, that Toyota will replace the cluster if the customer pays for labour, etc.

My issue isn't with that poster but with the ones responding to him. They add zero value to that thread.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13764 posts
1297 upvotes
I just told Alexa to remind me to bump this thread 1 year from today.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14099 posts
6520 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Another reason why thread bumping isn't the evil that some make it out to be: Many of the participants in the original discussion on a thread are subscribed to that thread. When that thread gets bumped they see it. That allows them to participate in the renewed discussion, perhaps updating it or confirming that the issue being newly discussed is still valid, etc.

Otherwise
1. A new thread may get missed by the presumed knowledgeable people who posted in the old thread.
2. The same information that was in the old thread just gets regurgitated in the new thread.
3. Someone posts a link to the old thread in the new thread.

IOW rather than "reinventing the wheel" in a new thread, the old wheel can be reused and improved. That's a value add for all concerned.

That said, I appreciate that this benefit only applies when the the previous discussion remains relevant to the new posts in a resurrected thread. As always, a bit of common sense judgement trumps hard and fast arbitrary rules.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31491 posts
6126 upvotes
Ottawa
driving-toronto-ottawa-best-route-292149/2/
Post # 17, responding to a post from Sept 9, 2011...... "Oh yea bud. Got nailed for doing 90 km/h in a 50 km/h zone in Smiths Falls, didn't realize speed limit changed to a 50 from a 80.

necro or not? LOL
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous