None
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto

Burger war in Mississauga - the Works gourmet burger bistro opening port Credit

http://www.insauga.com/the-works-set-to ... ort-credit

That's right. The works is opening right near Burgers Priest in Port Credit.

You can get beets on your burger!

Mississauga is grown up now in terms of food!
[removed]
A guide for the everymans guide to investments
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
The Works is now awful.

They were amazing before they expanded, offering great burgers that used fresh beef and was cooked to medium. Now, its just another mediocre chain.
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
The Works is blah, very gimmicky.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Dec 13, 2006
542 posts
34 upvotes
shannn wrote: The Works is now awful.

They were amazing before they expanded, offering great burgers that used fresh beef and was cooked to medium. Now, its just another mediocre chain.
Shut d-d-d-doooooooownn!
i5-2500K|4.4GHz|Water2.0Extreme|Z68X-UD3H-B3|16GB.C9.1600MHz|HD7970|120GB.Solid3|WD+Seagate|HCP-1000W|White.Switch810|Zowie.Celeritas+EC2|Corsar.V2000|1440p.120hz.120fps
E6600|3.4GHz|P5N32E-SLI+|4GB.C4.1000MHz|GTX560|WD|Antec.Eco-450W|CM.case|Zowie.EC2|Razer.BWUBF3|ATHM50LE|1080p.60hz.60fps
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4770 posts
210 upvotes
Guelph
i recently went there for the first time and had the 6 degrees of k'vin bacon and it was really good. and holy crap there soft drinks are huge lol. they come in a measuring cup.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
The Works still has great shakes, burgers may be frozen now and definitely are well done which is disappointing, but they're not awful and as bad as mentioned above IMO. They will get spanked by the Priest though for sure

They are way better than Hero, Union Burger, and Big Smoke Burger without question
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
if you go there, you really have to emphasize to them not to overcook the burger. first butter them up by saying the first time i came here the burger was nice and juicy and properly cooked, but the next time it was really over done and dry. the cashier should then tell the cook to watch it carefully (at least that's been my typical experience at the downtown location). unfortunately they will say they're not allowed to cook it medium/ medium well when you ask, but i still ask anyhow just to hit home the point not to overcook it.

oh, and get your burger with the beechhouse sauce.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2220 upvotes
lol @ Mississauga being grown up in terms of food due to burger joints ........ thats like the Grade 6 in terms of food ...........
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
The Works in Pickering was the last restaurant to make me angry. The burger was piled with too many condiments so the patty wasn't complimented, it was beat up by them. The side gravy I ordered was probably cooked down on a 10:1 ratio from being kept hot and was so salty you could melt ice with it in the winter. Staff was typical high school kids playing grab-ass in the back with the only visit to see if I ran off without paying the bill.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
The Works was great when it was just the family-owned lot in Ottawa. Since expansions, the food has gone way down hill. Can't believe they're still expanding.
RFD Forums Moderator
Nov 17, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
ShoNuff2 wrote: if you go there, you really have to emphasize to them not to overcook the burger. first butter them up by saying the first time i came here the burger was nice and juicy and properly cooked, but the next time it was really over done and dry. the cashier should then tell the cook to watch it carefully (at least that's been my typical experience at the downtown location). unfortunately they will say they're not allowed to cook it medium/ medium well when you ask, but i still ask anyhow just to hit home the point not to overcook it.

oh, and get your burger with the beechhouse sauce.
My parents owned a restaurant, food safety inspectors from the health department can be super-strict on ground meat and how its cooked. Allot of restaurants don't want to get violations against them because of a persons personal preference. If something ever comes to me with pink inside and its ground up I put in my complaint to the restaurant every time. I know people find it more flavorful but food safety.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
88 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: The Works was great when it was just the family-owned lot in Ottawa. Since expansions, the food has gone way down hill. Can't believe they're still expanding.
Went to the Oakville one and was so bad for the money - feel they are worried about all the stuff on the burger instead of quality of the actual food.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
Wow, didn't know it was so disliked. We've had good experiences at the Guelph location in the past!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2008
1197 posts
671 upvotes
Went there tonight, thought it was great. The fries weren't the best but the burger was excellent.
Jul 20, 2012
783 posts
345 upvotes
Guelph
AudiDude wrote: The Works in Pickering was the last restaurant to make me angry. The burger was piled with too many condiments so the patty wasn't complimented, it was beat up by them. The side gravy I ordered was probably cooked down on a 10:1 ratio from being kept hot and was so salty you could melt ice with it in the winter. Staff was typical high school kids playing grab-ass in the back with the only visit to see if I ran off without paying the bill.
I've only been once and it was at that location.
I had a burger and my g/f had some chicken thing. She liked it but it wasn't what she thought it would be.
Anyway the server asked how was everything and my g/f told the server she wasn't expecting what she ordered but she liked it and don't worry about it. Next thing we know the owner came over and removed her order from the bill. We weren't expecting that.
We had excellent customer service.
It's a wierd format for a burger chain. I thought it was a take-out joint.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
The Works was good 15-20 years ago when they had that tiny little restaurant on Beechwood in Ottawa. Now it's absolute trash. I can't believe people still like the garbage they're serving.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote: The Works was good 15-20 years ago when they had that tiny little restaurant on Beechwood in Ottawa. Now it's absolute trash. I can't believe people still like the garbage they're serving.
ah, so that's where their beechsauce comes from.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.