[OP]
Nov 4, 2003
241 posts
5 upvotes

Burrito Boyz

218 Adelaide Street West
Toronto, ON M5H1W7
(647) 439-4065

Looking for a great burrito downtown? Well this place is surely one of the most popular burrito joints in that area. I haven't had many burritos from many stores but I can appreicate the product they serve at this location and their 2nd downtown location. They consistantly have a large crowd, and if you are planning to go for lunch during the weekdays, I do recommend you line up outside the store around 11:30 to avoid a long line up. So this is not a place if your in a rush, or I wouldn't even classify this place as fast food.

Photo: Menu

They have a good assortment of burritos. I haven't been to mexico but do they have these types of burritos? In my next photo, I got a small burrito and it comes out to $6.75. The price is average, and for the budget eater I wouldn't say it would be a good deal. I never got a large so I can't really tell you how much bigger it is. The smaller is around 6 inches long. The girl who assembled my burrito was new, but all the staff was upbeat and very friendly although there was a ton of people waiting for their food around 6pm. I can tell from the toppings that they do cut them at the store, and not just opened from some package. It looked fresh as I looked over the glass window and very juicy.

Photo: Juicy Chicken Burrito

So after the assembly line, they take your burrito and grill the soft shell. They really do stuff the burrito with alot of toppings. The fusion of the toppings I chose was excellent and they don't go cheap on the chicken. So every bit I had there would be meat and cheese. I was feeling a bit under the weather, but yet I can still taste and smell my food.

Photo: All Wrapped Up

If your ever in the area, give this place a try. Don't expect alot of seating as there is only about 8-10 seats available. This place has been praised by many toronto publications, and they have a whole wall dedicated to all awards and all the times they have been in the press. Everyone I know that has been there has come out a happy customer.

I would rate this place 4/5

Image Image Image Image
For the rest of the set and larger photos please click here
227 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
yuck!

theres much better than burrito boyz in this city.. it's just another bastardized chain

good pics and all but im sorry i just cannot agree with this review.. at all

on another note, for the people that actually DO like burrito boyz they're opening one in Brampton this week at 210 queen st. e, theres a post in this forum about it
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3187 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
duckdown wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 6:55 pm
yuck!

theres much better than burrito boyz in this city.. it's just another bastardized chain

good pics and all but im sorry i just cannot agree with this review.. at all

on another note, for the people that actually DO like burrito boyz they're opening one in Brampton this week at 210 queen st. e, theres a post in this forum about it
What's better then Burrito Boyz? What would be your pick?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
Jeff146 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 8:26 pm
What's better then Burrito Boyz? What would be your pick?
if i really thought about it, i'm sure i'd remember alot more.. but off the top of my head..

El Sombrero (authentic mexican owned)
Chorizo (raw meat grilled in front of you to order, lots of topping choices)
The asian-mexican burrito place on Queen St. (chino loco or something i think)
Chipotle's
Big Fat Burrito ( i admit its been a year or two since i had this one, but still... )

then all the places I *havent* tried, but can just imagine they're alot better..

the place in streetsville (la cantina?)
la tortilleria
la taquiza
the place on brampton on Dixie road, I forget the name. Mission Burrito ?

i'd wager all 9 of these are better than Burrito Boyz.. burrito boyz is just a trendy chain place in the middle of club district where drunk people can fill their face with slop at 3AM, with burrito's made by teenage idiots playing techno music too loudly

just my 2cents on the matter, i know BB has alot of fans but I'm on the opposing side

cheers
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Ya, don't know what's up with all the hype for this place. Perhaps it was better in the past.

Had the steak burrito last Oct/Nov. It was meh.

5-6 people "working" all standing around while one guy cooked, 3 customers in front of us, and it took about 20 minutes to get our food. Not only that, they got one guy's order wrong and had to run out and chase him down the street. At least they cared enough to do that.
This space for rent
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
Mr Nobody wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 8:52 pm
Ya, don't know what's up with all the hype for this place. Perhaps it was better in the past.

Had the steak burrito last Oct/Nov. It was meh.

5-6 people "working" all standing around while one guy cooked, 3 customers in front of us, and it took about 20 minutes to get our food. Not only that, they got one guy's order wrong and had to run out and chase him down the street. At least they cared enough to do that.

I think it's mostly people that don't live downtown, then they go to Adelaide for a night out and find this place after last call and think its great..

when I had a steak burrito from here before, i gave the burrito a little squeeze after taking a bite and it was oozing oil and grease like crazy.. a little bit freaky
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1099 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
I would like to try this place sometime. So far I've only been to Chipotle, Moe's Southwest, and Burrito Banditos.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
geronimo wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 8:55 pm
I would like to try this place sometime. So far I've only been to Chipotle, Moe's Southwest, and Burrito Banditos.
I could be wrong but I think Burrito Bandidos is the other half-owner of Burrito Boyz who split away from the franchise, then went and opened his own place

I'd be curious to compare the two..

Burrito Boyz is better than Moe's, I'll give them that.. oh, and better than Mucho Burrito
Nov 12, 2007
247 posts
5 upvotes
When I ate at the original location of burrito boyz on peter st. years ago (it's not there anymore) it was really good. Now its mediocre at best :(
Jan 29, 2010
121 posts
Toronto
AirCarnivore wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 9:04 pm
When I ate at the original location of burrito boyz on peter st. years ago (it's not there anymore) it was really good. Now its mediocre at best :(
It's now under different management and called Burrito Banditos. Or something. Hasn't changed a whole lot.

Z-teca burritos on King St. W. are pretty good.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
duckdown wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 8:54 pm
I think it's mostly people that don't live downtown, then they go to Adelaide for a night out and find this place after last call and think its great..

when I had a steak burrito from here before, i gave the burrito a little squeeze after taking a bite and it was oozing oil and grease like crazy.. a little bit freaky
I can understand coming out of a club at 2am and starving, it'd be great, and possibly that's where all the internet hype comes from. But the place came recommended to me by a few friends who are definitely not clubbers. :confused:
This space for rent
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1907 posts
6 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 8:38 pm
if i really thought about it, i'm sure i'd remember alot more.. but off the top of my head..

El Sombrero (authentic mexican owned)
Chorizo (raw meat grilled in front of you to order, lots of topping choices)
The asian-mexican burrito place on Queen St. (chino loco or something i think)
Chipotle's
Big Fat Burrito ( i admit its been a year or two since i had this one, but still... )

then all the places I *havent* tried, but can just imagine they're alot better..

the place in streetsville (la cantina?)
la tortilleria
la taquiza
the place on brampton on Dixie road, I forget the name. Mission Burrito ?

i'd wager all 9 of these are better than Burrito Boyz.. burrito boyz is just a trendy chain place in the middle of club district where drunk people can fill their face with slop at 3AM, with burrito's made by teenage idiots playing techno music too loudly

just my 2cents on the matter, i know BB has alot of fans but I'm on the opposing side

cheers
Isn't that owned by McDonalds? I still think BB is comfort for me at least a nice thing I know and like. Where are the other locations you speak of?
!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5002 posts
528 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
xbl_sucks wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 9:52 pm
Isn't that owned by McDonalds? I still think BB is comfort for me at least a nice thing I know and like. Where are the other locations you speak of?
Which one? Sounds like an urban legend.
Dec 9, 2008
905 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
the chicken burritos are pretty good. not much difference between chipotles and big fat burrito its all pretty much the same.
Jan 29, 2010
399 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
jayt90 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2010 10:10 pm
Which one? Sounds like an urban legend.
Via Wikipedia:

"In 1998, McDonald's made an initial minority investment in the company. By 2001, the company had grown to be Chipotle's largest investor. McDonald's' investment allowed the firm to quickly expand, from 16 restaurants in 1998 to over 500 by 2005. On January 26, 2006, Chipotle made its initial public offering (IPO), after increasing the share price twice due to high pre-IPO demand. In its first day as a public company, the stock rose exactly 100%, resulting in the best U.S.-based IPO in six years, and the second-best IPO for a restaurant after Boston Chicken (now Boston Market). The money from the offering was then used to fund new store growth.

In October 2006, McDonald's fully divested from Chipotle. This was part of a larger initiative for McDonald's to divest all of its non-core business restaurants – Chipotle, Donato's Pizza, and Boston Market – so that it could squarely focus on the main McDonald's chain."

McDonald's owning stock in another restaurant, which they used to do heavily, has nothing to do with OPERATIONS at the company whose stock they own (just like you owning stock in Chipotle's has nothing do with their operations).
× < >