Off Topic

Bus carrying Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Team involved in serious collision.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 2:23 pm
[OP]
Jan 30, 2010
577 posts
263 upvotes
North Battleford
Driver of semi arrested and faces 29 charges.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4003 posts
856 upvotes
Sask.
I heard the news conference, barely any info given out as it must await court.

Dangerous driving causing death is 14 years.
Dangerous driving causing bodily harm is 10 years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
9413 posts
752 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
natalka wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 4:26 pm
I heard the news conference, barely any info given out as it must await court.

Dangerous driving causing death is 14 years.
Dangerous driving causing bodily harm is 10 years.

All because of bypassing rules to save money and make money. Hope it was worth it to him and to the business,
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3125 posts
652 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 4:29 pm
All because of bypassing rules to save money and make money. Hope it was worth it to him and to the business,
Only the driver. The owners get off scott free.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7320 posts
243 upvotes
There should be far more training for truck drivers. Sounds like this guy got barely any training. The owners of the company should face charges as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4629 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
hugh_da_man wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 4:56 pm
The owners of the company should face charges as well.
Based on what exactly?

The driver had two weeks of training which is what is mandatory in Ontario but not in Sakatchewan or Alberta.
The police have an obligation to only lay charges if there is a reasonable expectation that they will "stick" when it comes to a court case
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4003 posts
856 upvotes
Sask.
hugh_da_man wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 4:56 pm
There should be far more training for truck drivers. Sounds like this guy got barely any training. The owners of the company should face charges as well.
Starting next year in SK, there will be mandatory training.

I thought it was just crazy that there wasn't before, just assumed there was
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4629 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Did either the bus or the truck have an event data recorder?

I can just see the truck driver's lawyer arguing that some fault lies with the province for not having mandatory training and maybe some with the bus driver as well.
I don't remember reading anywhere that the bus tried to brake or swerve - for that amount of damage the bus must have been going quite fast and a semi like that doesn't just appear on the intersection out of nowhere.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2502 posts
772 upvotes
Scarborough
The only thing the Mounties have said to this point is that the truck was in the intersection when the collision occurred.
This was quoted from cp24 website. I'm trying to understand if they meant the truck was idled in the intersection or they were both travelling and the truck was in the intersection when the collision happened? Wouldn't someone notice a truck not in motion from afar? Enough time to brake I assume.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4819 posts
809 upvotes
Mississauga
is the accident actually due to lack of training? all the training in the world won't help if one chooses to blow the stop sign..
Jul 5, 2004
23393 posts
2944 upvotes
Ducky wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 6:55 pm
is the accident actually due to lack of training? all the training in the world won't help if one chooses to blow the stop sign..
Bingo.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4629 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
OrangeBerry wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 6:29 pm
This was quoted from cp24 website. I'm trying to understand if they meant the truck was idled in the intersection or they were both travelling and the truck was in the intersection when the collision happened? Wouldn't someone notice a truck not in motion from afar? Enough time to brake I assume.
The bus hit the trailer part of the truck, I think that is pretty clear.
And it would make sense to me that the truck was also in motion, actually fairly quickly at the time or the wreckage would have not ended up in the north-west corner of the intersection.
(That's assuming the pictures shown are of the accident debris just after it happened, not a picture of the debris that was moved off the highway.)

But that also means about half of the truck must have passed in front of the bus before the bus hit it so there should be at least some skid marks if the bus driver was paying attention at that time.
A recorder in the bus would show how fast the bus was going and when the brakes were applied (if at all)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)