Off Topic

Bus carrying Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Team involved in serious collision.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 2:23 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6586 posts
1246 upvotes
Can't believe the truck company got off here? at least for now
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
7320 posts
243 upvotes
krs wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 5:05 pm
Based on what exactly?

The driver had two weeks of training which is what is mandatory in Ontario but not in Sakatchewan or Alberta.
The police have an obligation to only lay charges if there is a reasonable expectation that they will "stick" when it comes to a court case
I had heard that the truck wasn't maintained correctly and the driver wasn't actually trained as claimed but I can't find where I read it. It might have been on Twitter so it might not be accurate.

If there was negligence on the part of the owners they should be charged.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1726 posts
521 upvotes
Winnipeg
blexann wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 8:15 pm
Can't believe the truck company got off here? at least for now
a lot of times, there is a huge disconnect between law and common sense logic. cases like these just highlight that.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4629 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
hugh_da_man wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 8:27 pm
I had heard that the truck wasn't maintained correctly and the driver wasn't actually trained as claimed but I can't find where I read it. It might have been on Twitter so it might not be accurate.
Incorrect maintenance would only enter the picture if that somehow contributed to the accident, otherwise inadequate maintenance would just warrant a fine, especially if it was the first time.
And the "training" from waht I read (which may not be true either) is that it was basically "training on the road" - but again, that does not matter since there was no requirement to do any training whatsoever in either Alberta or Saskatchewan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7400 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
clearly the trucking industry has devalued quality of drivers. The guy who caused this driving one of those double trailers had what two weeks experience? In Ontario we had someone driving drunk with their box up enough to damage the Burlington skyway. All sorts of stories of trucks plowing into stopped traffic.

Trucking used to be a great American job, something a man took pride in. Now it is race to the bottom but it's a race that impacts the safety of the rest of us. Sub contracted to sub contractors get that price low, drive around downtown and see how those maniac concrete trucks roll around.

Doubt anything will change, my only advice is if you see a truck of any sort want to change lanes don't be a prick, let them in. Minimize your time near these guys as possible and let them in, even in dirty bumper to bumper traffic.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7020 posts
4522 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Shortly after the accident, I saw an investigative news story that did a graphic in motion (from both perspectives) that illustrated what “may have happened” (partial facts in the case, but of course not tested in court etc)

The bus had the right of way.
The semi had a stop sign.
The driver of the semi was driving into the sun / glare... which may have impaired his vision of the intersection,
Additionally, there was a large stand of trees near the intersection... with them stopping just short of the intersection.
By the time the semi got passed the trees, then both drivers “may have” seen one another
But by then it was too late... with less than a second or so until impact
Hence... no braking on either vehicle occurred

The semi got into the intersection first
The bus hit the trailer head on behind the cab, into the trailer
Front end of bus torn apart / compressed

See this link for an excellent marked up photo of the intersection
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4625017

This accident and it’s description, reminds me very much of the OC Transpo / Via Rail collision in 2013
Where the OC bus was going too fast
The sun glare was a factor
Trees & Shrubbery impeding Sight lines
And by the time the driver saw the approaching train (who had the right of way)... and the requirement to stop ... it was too late
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 7th, 2018 4:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7020 posts
4522 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ONTARIO - TRUCKING

The requirements were updated for Big Rig Drivers in 2017
In order to drive a semi like the one in the Saskatchewan accident one must take a course with a Registered Training Provider
The course must include as a minimum 103.5 Hours of instruction

https://www.ontario.ca/page/new-mandato ... 1516998415

I see the Truck Driver Training Program vehicles on the road often throughout Eastern Ontario
Especially on the 401 between Kingston & Cornwall
Where there is a well known School (same one that Rick Mercer featured on his show)
With the name, Transport Training Centres of Canada

I naturally assumed they were Canada wide (when it seems they are only in Ontario)

So, I have to admit I was more than a little stunned to hear post Humbolt accident, that this Driver Training is not the norm across Canada

If there is to be even a small sliver of good out of this horrific event
Let it be that more Provinces & States make such Driver Training mandatory
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2502 posts
772 upvotes
Scarborough
Why would it matter if the truck driver only had 2 weeks of training? Running a stop sign doesn't requiring training more like common sense.
[OP]
Jan 30, 2010
577 posts
263 upvotes
North Battleford
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 2:58 am
The driver of the semi was driving into the sun / glare... which may have impaired his vision of the intersection,
The sun was still fairly high in sky since the crash happened at 5 and the sun would set around 8pm there that time of year. Anyways I'm not sure how the South West sun could prevent a driver from seeing a large stop sign with a flashing light that is on the North side of the highway.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4629 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
People here seem to assume that the truck driver either didn't see the stop sign or ignored it.

I personally had a similar experience years ago where a semi pulled off a 401 exit, stopped at the stop sign and then proceeded to pull out right in front of me driving on the main road.
I slammed on the brakes, ended up sideways almost in the ditch while the semi just carried on.
I went after it and confronted the driver - he claimed he did not see me.
This was on a clear day, I was coming from the north just after lunch, so no possibility of any glare, going about 80 km/h driving a burgundy extended minivan.

I'm pretty sure that truck driver would have waited for me to pass so I took his word; I assume the police wouldn't have done anything anyway if I had called them.

But I tink it's very possible that the truck driver for whatever reason didn't see the bus (or his brain didn't register the bus).

Apparently both the truck and the bus had event recorders but I have never read what those actually showed.
[OP]
Jan 30, 2010
577 posts
263 upvotes
North Battleford
krs wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 8:08 pm
And it would make sense to me that the truck was also in motion, actually fairly quickly at the time or the wreckage would have not ended up in the north-west corner of the intersection.
(That's assuming the pictures shown are of the accident debris just after it happened, not a picture of the debris that was moved off the highway.)
People here seem to assume that the truck driver either didn't see the stop sign or ignored it.
You said it yourself the truck was likely moving quickly. If he was stopped at the sign then then a fully loaded semi would only be going a few km/h through the intersection.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4629 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
zoso454 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 6:28 pm
You said it yourself the truck was likely moving quickly.
Yeah, I know.
I just find it hard to believe that a truck would just ignore a stop sign.
Although I see that in Quebec a lot more than I would like.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3919 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
krs wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 10:14 pm
Yeah, I know.
I just find it hard to believe that a truck would just ignore a stop sign.
Although I see that in Quebec a lot more than I would like.
It's not right, but everyone who has driven out in the country has come up to a stop sign, has seen that there is clearly no one nearby and has driven through without stopping. He may have done the same but was wrong about no one being nearby.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1406 posts
188 upvotes
MB
Canadian police have charged a lorry driver involved in a crash with a bus carrying a junior hockey team that killed 16 people.
Jaskirat Sidhu, 29, was arrested on 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and 13 of causing injury.
The lorry collided with the Humboldt Broncos team bus on 6 April on a rural road in the province of Saskatchewan.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44746885

---
Sir David Attenborough: someone who believes in infinite growth is ‘either a madman or an economist’