Off Topic

Bus carrying Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Team involved in serious collision.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 7:53 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4099 posts
909 upvotes
Sask.
Court was today. The accused did not appear, his lawyer was there by phone.
Lawyer said he needed more time, so case was adjourned until October.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
833 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I'm watching it. Starts soon.
Not sure which team will find it a tougher game to play.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Dec 18, 2017
516 posts
216 upvotes
London, On
poleman wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 8:30 pm
I'm watching it. Starts soon.
Not sure which team will find it a tougher game to play.
Yeah no kidding. Defending league champs playing against "Canada's Team". No one wants the Broncos to lose. I'm not staying up for the post game ceremony, but it was said on the radio that it would have been too emotional to have that ceremony pre-game and then expect the players to go play a game, so it was decided to do it after. If that was going to be too emotional, and considering the amount of tears I had watching the pre-game, I don't even want to think how emotional the post game will be.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5293 posts
802 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
shawn01 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 1:36 pm
School buses too ? Can’t get the concept where kids have to be in a seat belt in a car or parents gets charged but goes on a school buses with other rowdy kids and and jumping around everywhere I’m the seats and not a seat belt at all.....
Years ago I read that the rationale was that no seat belts on a school bus was safer.
I think it epends on the type of accident - if a bus catches fire, having no seat belt to unbuckle to get out of a burning bus might be preferable especially for younger kids who may panic.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1665 upvotes
They include seven federal charges: two counts of failing to maintain logs for drivers hours of service, three counts of failing to monitor the compliance of a driver under safety regulations, and two counts of having more than one daily log for any day. The eighth charge under provincial regulations alleges failure to have or follow a written safety program.

When reached in Calgary, Singh said he didn't have any comment.

A department spokesman said a federal Crown lawyer will be handling the prosecution on the charges against the owner.

Singh's first court appearance is Nov. 9 in Calgary.

The maximum penalty for a federal hours of service failing is $5,000 per offence, while the provincial charge carries a $310 penalty. A court can, however, use discretion to impose a penalty up to $2,000.
This pos should serve 25 years to life for all those innocent lives that were killed. Twenty nine lives were affected by his carelessness towards the laws governing the operation of heavy truck transportation.
[OP]
Jan 30, 2010
654 posts
297 upvotes
North Battleford
After 8 months or so they finally decided how to divide the gofundme money. Family's of those killed will receive 525,000. Survivors will get 475,000

link
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27308 upvotes
Semi-truck driver pleads guilty in Humboldt Broncos bus crash

Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18912 posts
2220 upvotes
Niagara Falls
BK2006 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:02 am
Semi-truck driver pleads guilty in Humboldt Broncos bus crash

There is much information in the article. Was it dangerous driving because he was distracted looking at a phone, or was it dangerous driving because he was driving on not enough sleep, or going to quick for the conditions or just because he wasn't paying enough attention to the signs on the road?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2399 posts
1085 upvotes
As reported in the Bus carrying Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Team involved in serious collision. RFD thread, the semi-truck driver pleaded guilty to 29 counts, following the horrific accident from last April.

I started this separate thread, to focus on the semi-truck driver; I'm not sure whether he understood all the circumstances. Especially when considering the following pieces from the quoted article:
"His position to me was, 'I just want to plead guilty. I don't want you to plea bargain. I don't want a trial,"' Sidhu's lawyer, Mark Brayford, said outside court, his client beside him with his head down.
But, at the same time:
Brayford, who recently took on the case, said more evidence still needs to be handed over to the defence, but Sidhu wanted to avoid further delays.
AND:
A safety review of the rural crossroads done by a consulting firm for the Saskatchewan government was released last month. It said sight lines are a safety concern at the spot.

A stand of trees, mostly on private property, obstructs the view of drivers approaching from the south and east -- the same directions the bus and semi-trailer were coming from when they collided, the review said.
So, not all evidence has been handed over to the defence. The government's own consultant said the intersection is a major concern. Yet, the guy pleads guilty. No plea bargaining. He is looking at 29 counts that carry a max. penalty of 10 to 14 years. Each. Are we missing something?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18912 posts
2220 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 1:54 pm
As reported in the [url=bus-carrying-saskatchewan-junior-hockey ... #p30393303]

So, not all evidence has been handed over to the defence. The government's own consultant said the intersection is a major concern. Yet, the guy pleads guilty. No plea bargaining. He is looking at 29 counts that carry a max. penalty of 10 to 14 years. Each. Are we missing something?
If someone was very skeptical they could see this as a ploy. Plead guilty now to show remorse, once more evidence comes to light try for a re-trial and see if the judgment against you is more lenient. Not sure if you can do that if you plead guilty but if you can it could be a valid strategy.

Not saying that's whats happening because I know very little of this just saying.
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27308 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 1:54 pm
As reported in the Bus carrying Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Team involved in serious collision. RFD thread, the semi-truck driver pleaded guilty to 29 counts, following the horrific accident from last April.

I started this separate thread, to focus on the semi-truck driver; I'm not sure whether he understood all the circumstances. Especially when considering the following pieces from the quoted article:

But, at the same time:

AND:

The semi-trailer truck involved in the Humboldt Broncos team bus crash was travelling at nearly 100 km/h at the moment of impact, and the semi's driver isn't thought to have been distracted, according to a document obtained by CBC News.

It says Sidhu simply "failed to recognize that his vehicle was approaching an intersection and did not heed the stop sign."

"No tire skid marks due to braking were left by the semi-tractor unit," reads a statement of facts agreed to by the Crown and defence in the court case of semi driver Jaskirat Singh

CBC News obtained the five-page statement, based largely on the RCMP "Forensic Collision Reconstruction Report" following the brief but emotional hearing.

It states Sidhu drove into the intersection at a speed of 86 to 96 km/h. This was despite a 1.2-metre-wide (four feet) stop sign with a red flashing light on top, as well as clearly marked highway signs warning of an intersection from approximately 400 metres, 300 metres, 200 metres and 100 metres away.

As Sidhu approached the intersection on Highway 335, the driver of the Broncos bus travelling down the larger Highway 35 recognized the danger, according to the statement.

The bus driver applied the brakes and skidded for 24 metres before the collision, it stated.

"The driver of the bus did not contribute to the collision," it stated. "The actions of Mr. Sidhu while operating the semi-tractor unit caused the collision."

The bus "T-boned" the semi, sending it into the ditch.

According to the statement, there were no environmental factors causing the crash such as sun glare or weather conditions. The nearby trees did not obstruct the view and were "inconsequential," it stated.

The document notes alcohol and drugs were not a factor. Sidhu was also not distracted by cellphone use.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoo ... -1.4969739
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1489 upvotes
So...he was either exhausted, or he deliberately ignored multiple signs that he was approaching the intersection plus a large stop sign with red lights on it?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5339 posts
1219 upvotes
Mississauga
peanutz wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 1:03 am
So...he was either exhausted, or he deliberately ignored multiple signs that he was approaching the intersection plus a large stop sign with red lights on it?
daydreaming? so eyes on road but brain isn't