Off Topic

Bus carrying Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Team involved in serious collision.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 2:23 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1427 posts
756 upvotes
I've driven in the area many times, although not past that specific intersection per se. It is a monotonous and boring area in which to drive. And when you have a stand of trees and maybe a farmyard to one side, and literally just boring prairie on the other side -- wandering eyes tend to go to the area of more visual stimulation.

I'm sure lots of people have seen those pictures on the Internet of a cute guy or girl standing infront of something minorly out of focus, but very significant. Guess where all the attention goes? To the cute guy or girl. That's what I suspect happened to this guy, his concentration was momentarily diverted to focussing on some minutae of the farmyard or trees he was approaching, and voila, before he knew it, he was on the intersection at precisely the worst possible moment.

I'd be curious if the driver has a touch of ADHD, which certainly can impact executive function, or there was just fatigue involved. But we may very well never really know the true answers to such unless he volunteers for, and is forensically tested. If it would be possible, as part of his sentencing, to compel him to work with human factors engineers, and psychologists/psychiatrists I think that would be a useful contribution to society.

He'll probably get 2 years less a day (the maximum "provincial" sentence), and immigration will move to revoke his PR card and return him to India upon his release. Terribly tragic. I was in Humboldt for a funeral a few weeks ago and while the topic obviously didn't come up much, I don't think there's really a "lock him up and throw away the key" sort of attitude in the town.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1891 posts
620 upvotes
@Evil Baby Great point. I didn't think about that possibility. But he would have to have massive cajones, to pull off such stunt. The risks ...

@BK2006 +27K upvotes for 3.6K posts? Impressive. That aside, don't forget that the RCMP report was/is done likely for the benefit of the prosecution. If the defendant had enough $, he too can hire a forensic expert report to challenge the RCMP one. Considering that in criminal courts, the onus of the Crown is "beyond a reasonable doubt", with the right expert and defence argued, I say he had a shot to win.

I also didn't agree with the driver's comment that he didn't want to put the families through the suffering again. When your neck is on the line and you are looking at +10 years in jail, unless the case against you is seal-tight, I say fight it. But that's just me...
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1427 posts
756 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:33 am
I also didn't agree with the driver's comment that he didn't want to put the families through the suffering again. When your neck is on the line and you are looking at +10 years in jail, unless the case against you is seal-tight, I say fight it. But that's just me...
I'm not privy to all of the details here, but a friend of mine knows a guy who shot 2 cops in the US, and the judge was required to extensively question him on the reasons for his guilty plea, and whether he was of sound mind, on any medication, subject to any intimidation, promised any favours, was motivated by an inability to pay for a lawyer, etc. The exchange captured here: . Before accepting the plea.

So the news coverage which indicates that he literally stated "five words", "I plea guilty your honour", doesn't add up to me. Unless that's just how we do it in Canada, where a judge must accept a guilty plea without question.

In fairness though, he was represented at the hearing by what is probably Saskatchewan's most well known defense lawyer. Basically he's Saskatchewan's "Brian Greenspan". And not the public defender circus clown as represented my friend's "friend".
Last edited by Redmask on Jan 10th, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No URL shortening services.
Jul 5, 2004
23386 posts
2941 upvotes
I have no doubt he plead guilty because that's what his lawyer told him is his best option. Early guilty pleas tend to result in shorter sentences. And although theres no official plea bargain, lawyers are always working in the background to secure the best possible outcome for their client. I don't care what that lawyer says, he has very likely been in contact with the crown and judge to discuss sentences upon an early guilty plea.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3698 posts
871 upvotes
Vancouver
Maybe he plead guilty to take the heat off the relative that sponsored his immigration to Canada, that relative perhaps being the owner of the trucking company?