Off Topic

Bus carrying Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Team involved in serious collision.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 7:53 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2160 posts
1141 upvotes
I've driven in the area many times, although not past that specific intersection per se. It is a monotonous and boring area in which to drive. And when you have a stand of trees and maybe a farmyard to one side, and literally just boring prairie on the other side -- wandering eyes tend to go to the area of more visual stimulation.

I'm sure lots of people have seen those pictures on the Internet of a cute guy or girl standing infront of something minorly out of focus, but very significant. Guess where all the attention goes? To the cute guy or girl. That's what I suspect happened to this guy, his concentration was momentarily diverted to focussing on some minutae of the farmyard or trees he was approaching, and voila, before he knew it, he was on the intersection at precisely the worst possible moment.

I'd be curious if the driver has a touch of ADHD, which certainly can impact executive function, or there was just fatigue involved. But we may very well never really know the true answers to such unless he volunteers for, and is forensically tested. If it would be possible, as part of his sentencing, to compel him to work with human factors engineers, and psychologists/psychiatrists I think that would be a useful contribution to society.

He'll probably get 2 years less a day (the maximum "provincial" sentence), and immigration will move to revoke his PR card and return him to India upon his release. Terribly tragic. I was in Humboldt for a funeral a few weeks ago and while the topic obviously didn't come up much, I don't think there's really a "lock him up and throw away the key" sort of attitude in the town.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2404 posts
1086 upvotes
@Evil Baby Great point. I didn't think about that possibility. But he would have to have massive cajones, to pull off such stunt. The risks ...

@BK2006 +27K upvotes for 3.6K posts? Impressive. That aside, don't forget that the RCMP report was/is done likely for the benefit of the prosecution. If the defendant had enough $, he too can hire a forensic expert report to challenge the RCMP one. Considering that in criminal courts, the onus of the Crown is "beyond a reasonable doubt", with the right expert and defence argued, I say he had a shot to win.

I also didn't agree with the driver's comment that he didn't want to put the families through the suffering again. When your neck is on the line and you are looking at +10 years in jail, unless the case against you is seal-tight, I say fight it. But that's just me...
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2160 posts
1141 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:33 am
I also didn't agree with the driver's comment that he didn't want to put the families through the suffering again. When your neck is on the line and you are looking at +10 years in jail, unless the case against you is seal-tight, I say fight it. But that's just me...
I'm not privy to all of the details here, but a friend of mine knows a guy who shot 2 cops in the US, and the judge was required to extensively question him on the reasons for his guilty plea, and whether he was of sound mind, on any medication, subject to any intimidation, promised any favours, was motivated by an inability to pay for a lawyer, etc. The exchange captured here: . Before accepting the plea.

So the news coverage which indicates that he literally stated "five words", "I plea guilty your honour", doesn't add up to me. Unless that's just how we do it in Canada, where a judge must accept a guilty plea without question.

In fairness though, he was represented at the hearing by what is probably Saskatchewan's most well known defense lawyer. Basically he's Saskatchewan's "Brian Greenspan". And not the public defender circus clown as represented my friend's "friend".
Last edited by Redmask on Jan 10th, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No URL shortening services.
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3391 upvotes
I have no doubt he plead guilty because that's what his lawyer told him is his best option. Early guilty pleas tend to result in shorter sentences. And although theres no official plea bargain, lawyers are always working in the background to secure the best possible outcome for their client. I don't care what that lawyer says, he has very likely been in contact with the crown and judge to discuss sentences upon an early guilty plea.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3962 posts
1088 upvotes
Vancouver
Maybe he plead guilty to take the heat off the relative that sponsored his immigration to Canada, that relative perhaps being the owner of the trucking company?

Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9433 posts
2374 upvotes
One word: ROUNDABOUTS!

Seriously I would like to know who came up with the ******** 4-way system in NA and keep punching him in the face. Then all the municipalities for adopting this idiotic contraption.

Bet if there was a roundabout at the intersection, this wouldn't have happened. You know, where these things exist at practically ALL intersections across Europe, ESPECIALLY outside of cities. Heck, they have roundabouts inside big cities with lights in them!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9945 posts
7232 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 12:58 am

Seriously I would like to know who came up with the ******** 4-way system in NA and keep punching him in the face. Then all the municipalities for adopting this idiotic contraption.

Bet if there was a roundabout at the intersection, this wouldn't have happened. You know, where these things exist at practically ALL intersections across Europe, ESPECIALLY outside of cities. Heck, they have roundabouts inside big cities with lights in them!
Sounds nice.

BUT...

Roundabouts are considerably more expensive to build, and maintain than just throwing up a few stop signs.

Again it comes down to Canada vs other places in the world.

Europe = 50 Countries in about the same space as our entire size. So not only are all the countries in Europe smaller, most of them with more population than most of our provinces, or even cities. (Europe total Pop = 742 Million vs Canada = 37 Million). So it comes down to economics of scale. We cannot afford it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9433 posts
2374 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 2:19 am
Sounds nice.

BUT...

Roundabouts are considerably more expensive to build, and maintain than just throwing up a few stop signs.

Again it comes down to Canada vs other places in the world.

Europe = 50 Countries in about the same space as our entire size. So not only are all the countries in Europe smaller, most of them with more population than most of our provinces, or even cities. (Europe total Pop = 742 Million vs Canada = 37 Million). So it comes down to economics of scale. We cannot afford it.
Yep. A slab of rised concrete in the middle will bankrupt the province. (It doesn't have to have nice plants in the middle like in Europe).

That slab of concrete that is probably a few thousand $$ could've saved those lives.

And maintain how exactly? If anything that red blinking light is more maintenance (and power costs).
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27308 upvotes
Driver admitted to going through stop sign ( large sign and a flashing light) plus according to article he violated 70 government regulations.

In this case a roundabout would not have helped. I am sure he would not have understood how to properly use one.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9958 posts
1348 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:

We live in a country where you can practically buy your licence.

The amount of cars I saw turned sideways on the road last night, up on curbs, one actually going the wrong way and cars that were stuck probably because no winter tires was insane... Snow storm or not

And you think a roundabout here is a good idea? People's brains would explode at even seeing one and you'd have people just driving straight through it or into it and then trying to sue the city for placing it in a spot that affected them negatively (to which they'd probably win with an apology and money)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4100 posts
911 upvotes
Sask.
Semi-driver in Humboldt Broncos bus crash had 70 regulation violations

A logbook review found Sidhu, 30, violated 51 federal regulations and 19 Saskatchewan regulations between March 26 and April 6.

“If Jaskirat Singh Sidhu had been stopped and inspected on April 6, 2018, prior to the incident, he would have been placed under a 72 hours out-of-service declaration for failing to produce the current daily log and previous 14 days,” stated the review.

It stated Sidhu would have been prevented from operating a commercial vehicle under the Federal Commercial Vehicle Driver’s Hours of Service regulations for the time period in question.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4901778/semi ... iolations/
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22884 posts
2701 upvotes
Montreal
Messerschmitt wrote:
Driving your estate saloon around roundabouts whilst burning tyres?

Waste of petrol..