• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2017 10:01 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8171 posts
351 upvotes

Business Domain

What's a good well priced, reliable company to host a website? I have godaddy and they want $50 a year to renew my domain!

Is it easy to transfer a domain? I'm totally newb at this.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
11 replies
Mar 2, 2017
12 posts
Godaddy yearly domain renew is 15$ . why they charge 50$ , Do you have also hosting package ?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1209 posts
539 upvotes
Richmond
You can separate domain name registration and hosting. Godaddy has raised their domain name registration annual price to $15, but others like http://namecheap have a better reputation and better price, more like $10.

As for web hosting, there are a vast number of options at different price levels, depending on performance, reliability, capacity, support, features etc.. Most are BYOD (bring your own domain). Try https://buyshared.net/shared-cpanel-hosting/ or http://stablehost.com.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8171 posts
351 upvotes
sabujdc wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 2:49 pm
Godaddy yearly domain renew is 15$ . why they charge 50$ , Do you have also hosting package ?
Oh I just checked and its for a "privacy" thingie. About $30 a year extra. I guess that means someone can't "whois" and find the owner's address?
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Mar 2, 2017
12 posts
aquariaguy wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 8:19 pm
Oh I just checked and its for a "privacy" thingie. About $30 a year extra. I guess that means someone can't "whois" and find the owner's address?
yes, For extra charge Whois .
May 14, 2012
332 posts
62 upvotes
MARKHAM
A lot of registrar's give out free WHOIS protection. Don't pay extra for that.
Directhosting Web Hosting
BigNames Domain Registration
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1209 posts
539 upvotes
Richmond
DirectHostingCanada wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 9:33 am
A lot of registrar's give out free WHOIS protection. Don't pay extra for that.
Could you recommend one?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1209 posts
539 upvotes
Richmond
joey003 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 7:25 am
Hover is one that does (https://www.hover.com/domain-pricing). I've heard good things about them.
Is their WhoIs privacy included on renewal too? I've seen several domain registrars offer extras like this on initial transfer/registration, but then charge for it on renewal.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16418 posts
1537 upvotes
GTA West
Faith24 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 6:34 pm
You can separate domain name registration and hosting.
This. It is better to keep domain and hosting separate, as this makes it easier to change either one if you don't like the product you're receiving.

For the domain, I use NameCheap and Gandi. NameSilo is also supposed to be good.
For hosting, I have no idea. I haven't hosted anything in ages. I just use my domains for e-mail.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2299 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aquariaguy wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 11:09 am
What's a good well priced, reliable company to host a website? I have godaddy and they want $50 a year to renew my domain!

Is it easy to transfer a domain? I'm totally newb at this.
Transfer your domain name to name.com or namecheap.com (I've used them both and have had no issues).

If it's a .ca, use 10dollar.ca (I'm with rebel.com for a few months as i took advantage of their $0.99 transfer promo) but will be going back to 10dollar.ca with all my .ca domains.

Web hosting -- BuyShared.net, CrocWeb, StableHost are all good.

I recommend you separate your domain (name.com), dns (he.net or cloudflare), website (buyshared, stablehost, crocweb) and e-mail (google suite).
Mar 14, 2017
28 posts
3 upvotes
I have been using GoDaddy.com for the longest time, however Mobifrees reccomendations should be looked at too.

The main reason why I am using GoDaddy, is because back in the past they were the cheapest, and most reliable, now I am not sure, I feel like a lot of new competition has opened up with better pricing.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel