• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2016 10:35 am
Tags:
None
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes

Business Internet: who has fast upload?

Looking for cheap business internet with a fast upload speed ("fast" being 2mbps or better).

Shown is a chart showing prices and download/upload speeds.

Code: Select all

[size=84]    Rogers    50.95   3/640 
    Cable     72.95   8/1
              109.95  12/2
              149.95  30/2

Telus     54.95 15/1    70GB cap
    ADSL      76.68 15/1    70GB cap   (includes 5 email addresses, plus equally-useless other ****)
              96.65 15/1    200GB cap

Shaw      56.95 7.5/512 125GB
    Cable     79.95 25/2.5  250GB
              99.95 50/5    500GB

Teksavvy  59+9  6/800   unlim ADSL Dry

Acanac: no business

3web    

Bell      48.50   6/800[/size]
Rogers has 2MB uploads for the out-of-my-budget price of $110/mo; Shaw is much better (faster&cheaper) but is not avail. in Toronto. Anyone have any other ideas?
32 replies
May 27, 2007
560 posts
4 upvotes
Why do you need the fast upload? A far cheaper option is usually to host the files you need to share on a server in a datacenter with a good connection. Upload the files once, share fast forever.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
Fast upload? Probably for multiple line VOIP use.

Acanac has business, it's 6/800. That 800 is barely good enough for 2 VOIP lines. VOIP gets iffy if someone's downloading something. We're going to change to a managed network soon, so that'll fix that problem, but it doesn't make the "pipeline" any bigger.
Mar 3, 2010
588 posts
42 upvotes
I have 10/1 with Cogeco in Oakville. I also needed fast upload speed for VoIp and 3/0.6 I had with DSL couldn't make it. For VoIP upload is very important. Not only that it has to be fast but steady so I could not take regular home line which is even faster but not guaranteed steady for upload. So I had to take Cogeco business line 10/1.

Since you are in Toronto you don't can't get Cogeco there. I don't like Rogers but that sounds like viable option. I also hear that Bell Fibe is really fast so if you can go for it. They maybe let you test drive it for month before deciding for sure. They let me do it.

Important, you will not find out how good line is from incoming signal. For me quality was always great, even with about 1MB down. Trick is to ask how they hear YOU. I was testing that myself often by calling business line from home line or cell phone.
Jul 19, 2007
61 posts
Donimo wrote: So what is this then?

Your link seems to refer to portable internet hubs.

That's because Bell Aliant in the maritimes has real fibre-to-the-home, while Fibe in Ontario is fibre-to-the-node, and it's still a copper line from there to your house. Bell Aliant is different in so many ways to Bell in the rest of Canada, even mobility plans for Aliant have double the minutes of non-Aliant plans. I guess it's just more competitive out east, while here in Ontario, we continue to get screwed.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Teksavvy now offers, 25x7 Service, so you probably want to look into that as it's the best upload you will be able to get in Toronto unless you get some dedicated line and pay hundreds if not thousands a month.
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Teksavvy now offers, 25x7 Service, so you probably want to look into that as it's the best upload you will be able to get in Toronto unless you get some dedicated line and pay hundreds if not thousands a month.

Do you have a link? Can't find at teksavvy.com
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
frogblender wrote: Do you have a link? Can't find at teksavvy.com

Hmmm seems to be only under Residential.... Do you need this connection at home possibly that you could order the 25/7 connetion.? You could always give them a call or post in their direct forum on DSLReports to get a better answer.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
1582 posts
35 upvotes
Just saw the Bell Aliant options for the first time... 30/30 for $80/month? God, I would get that in a second if available in Ontario....
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes
1) Acanac now offers cable internet (to homes, and apparently to businesses too) with 24/1 for $39.95, no caps.
This is both significantly cheaper and significantly faster (both on the download, AND, my sought-after upload) than my current Rogers business internet.

2) But lo and behold: the rogers upload speed seems to have increased of late; a quick check of speedtest.net now shows a 1mbps upload speed, instead of the old 640k.

YAY to Acanac for bringing competition to the market.
BOO to Rogers for providing crap upload service until forced to by the competition.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
Sadly you're screwed like the rest of us if you're in the GTA.

Your options are Bell Fibe (if available), gives you 7mbps up max or one of the bell resellers maybe (tekksavvy etc).

I heard rogers once upon a time was considering increasing their feeble upload speeds on their ultimate plans but this hasn't happened yet.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
You are screwed (like everyone else)

There is no higher upload for BUSINESS. There is for residential however.
Feb 8, 2012
108 posts
25 upvotes
Burnaby
VOIP calls normally need about 100 kbps both ways. But do you care to find out where that VOIP packet is going after it leaves your Internet Provider?

Its true that most internet speed issues, for web access, boil down to the Last Mile problem i.e "your internet speed".... and moreover, it is assumed that all web servers are equal in-terms of accessibility and speed.

But, in my opinion, that's not the entirely true where VOIP traffic is concerned.

If you jog your memory, you will remember the odd occasion when certain websites took ages to load up or show up and you ended up cursing your internet provider, when, in fact, there was a problem with speed/capacities/hardware issues of the server hosting that particular website.

Not all ITSPs ( internet telephone service providers ) have excellent capacities and bandwidth at all times or at all loads.
Some saturate faster than other, some mom-and-pop ITSP shops could be running off the fastest residential Internet connection out of a basement.....

So, before you go out and spend the money to get the fattest pipe you can afford, ...try to investigate whether your ITSP or Internet Telephone Service provider or the VOIP provider is not over-utilizing their capacity and trying to service more customers than they can handle !

The "last mile problem" could very well be at the VOIP providers end !!! :D
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes
Just to update: High upload speeds are creeping into Residential internet service ! Thanks to Bell. Love them or hate them, Bell is genuinely upping the bar here. Check out this crazy shlt! 175MBPS???

Well, thanks to some RFD "bell.jpg - Exceeds forum quota by 46.47 MB" busted- ***** crap, I can't post my Bell screengrab. So here's the Bell residential services (upload/download, in mbps):
Bell Fibe 15/10 = $50/mo
Bell Fibe 25/10 = $60/mo
Bell Fibe 50/50 = $80/mo
Bell Fibe 175/175 = $200/mo (ouch ouch on the price.... but dang! 175!? Like I said - raising the bar. Not sure how any residential customer could fully utilize this speed, though.)

Source: https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Internet_access

For comparison: Rogers most expensive residential service still limps along at 2mbps upload.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
frogblender wrote: Just to update: High upload speeds are creeping into Residential internet service ! Thanks to Bell. Love them or hate them, Bell is genuinely upping the bar here. Check out this crazy shlt! 175MBPS???

Well, thanks to some RFD "bell.jpg - Exceeds forum quota by 46.47 MB" busted- ***** crap, I can't post my Bell screengrab. So here's the Bell residential services (upload/download, in mbps):
Bell Fibe 15/10 = $50/mo
Bell Fibe 25/10 = $60/mo
Bell Fibe 50/50 = $80/mo
Bell Fibe 175/175 = $200/mo (ouch ouch on the price.... but dang! 175!? Like I said - raising the bar. Not sure how any residential customer could fully utilize this speed, though.)

Source: https://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Internet_access

For comparison: Rogers most expensive residential service still limps along at 2mbps upload.
I just had fibe started, they would only do 25/15 on my line, but said it was ready to go up to 80 - they just are rolling it out slowly
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
Thread is about business internet though, those are residential packages.
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes
Bell offered 7down/4up for $40.05/mo+HST all in, $125 install for dry loop. 12 mo contract. Sounded good, so I took it.

Then when the installer came, he said I'd only get 1mb up, cuz we're too far from the central office. This doesn't help me, so I sent him away.
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes
Rogers in Ontario now offers 30/5 for 79.95 (effective today, although their website still says 10/2).

The best I could swing was: $10 off for 1 year commitment, or $20 off for 3 year. Anyone do better?