• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2018 5:36 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 12, 2005
10 posts
Toronto

Business rebranding and SEO ranking

I recently took over an existing business and its website and I'm debating about rebranding the business.
My main concern is rebranding may affect the current business' SEO ranking.
Is there a way to rebrand a business without affecting the current SEO ranking?
Thanks.
11 replies
[OP]
Apr 12, 2005
10 posts
Toronto
Hi eonibm,
Would it work to keep the old website and have inquiries to the old website redirected to the new website?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6896 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
If you're going down this path you'd want to setup a bunch of 301 redirects from old pages to new domain pages. This will tell google that your content has relocated.

Your SEO will definitely take a hit, how big depends on what your current SEO worth is as well as a number of other factors. Your new business name will take a while to reestablish. Full Rebranding is a very expensive exercise from a marketing and SEO perspective.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12397 posts
3013 upvotes
Here 'n There
yaozza wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 10:52 pm
Hi eonibm,
Would it work to keep the old website and have inquiries to the old website redirected to the new website?
It won't preserve your ranking.
Dec 23, 2017
17 posts
6 upvotes
You'll take quiet a hit on the SEO. What's the reasoning for the rebranding? Could you rebrand the existing site on the same domain name?
[OP]
Apr 12, 2005
10 posts
Toronto
limoncello:
Wanting to rebrand so the new business name will better reflect the services offered.
Is it advisable to rebrand and continue to use the same domain name? Will this preserve the SEO ranking?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12397 posts
3013 upvotes
Here 'n There
yaozza wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:15 am
limoncello:
Wanting to rebrand so the new business name will better reflect the services offered.
Is it advisable to rebrand and continue to use the same domain name? Will this preserve the SEO ranking?
It will change but who knows by how much.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4677 posts
510 upvotes
No one knows. It could fall a bit then jump back up when Google realizes what's happening. For the most part now days 301 redirects and rebranding shouldn't shake up rankings too much, especially if it's an established site.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2005
10 posts
Toronto
Thank you all for your replies. Definitely helped with my decision-making.
I think I will continue to use the current brand for now until revenue is much more solid.
Feb 13, 2018
5 posts
Yes, re-branding will affect your current ranking as all your citations were created using the old name. You need to fix all the citations and online presence after re-branding. This will take time.
Feb 6, 2018
7 posts
1 upvote
Rebranding really depends, a lot of sizes do this when their product name is more familiar with their company name.
With that being said, you most likely will have to do a lot of redirects within your domain or website manager.

Only way to know is to let us know the website, check its rankings, its backlinks, etc. etc. I recommend talking to someone you trust.