Busted TV exchange at Costco

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 10:06 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
26 posts
Toronto

Busted TV exchange at Costco

So I bought a 55" Samsung tv on Black Friday for sale at $690.

I noticed that there is a screen defect and want to return / exchange it.

Costco does not have an actual exchange policy. If I return it, will they let me re-purchase it at the same Sale price?
17 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14167 posts
2520 upvotes
Toronto
Yes you can exchange it. Just tell them you want to exchange it for the same model.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
26 posts
Toronto
Last time I tried with an expensive watch, the returns person told me I had to get a refund first and then rebuy it... Maybe different for electronics?
Mar 24, 2016
294 posts
275 upvotes
scarborough
I dont think Costco does exchanges. They will refund and then you need to buy
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
26 posts
Toronto
Are they good about letting you rebuy at the same Sale price?
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14167 posts
2520 upvotes
Toronto
If the item is defective I am sure they can let you exchange it. Why not!
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3088 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I have run into this problem with other retailers - Canadian Tire if I remember correctly.

They won't let you do an exchange, only a return and rebuy, but only rebuy at the current price.

Would be interested to know what the Costco policy is - best thing for the OP is to just ask them.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7577 posts
2495 upvotes
ON
Speak with the manager if they won't allow direct exchange.
They may propose you do a new transaction for the current price and then refund that one with the defective unit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5067 posts
954 upvotes
Whitby
I bought a car battery at Costco, it died 23 months later....I was hoping for pro-rated warranty. Costco gave me a full refund and then sold me a new battery at the sale price I had paid 23 months earlier, about $40 less than current price. If you ask politely they will sell you a replacement tv for the sale price.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1942 posts
886 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
drtse wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:59 am
So I bought a 55" Samsung tv on Black Friday for sale at $690.

I noticed that there is a screen defect and want to return / exchange it.

Costco does not have an actual exchange policy. If I return it, will they let me re-purchase it at the same Sale price?
I'm sure someone will be able to tell you if you pick up the phone and call the Costco warehouse. That's what I do when I have a question, use the option to speak with someone in administration. :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14156 posts
4628 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:54 pm
I'm sure someone will be able to tell you if you pick up the phone and call the Costco warehouse. That's what I do when I have a question, use the option to speak with someone in administration. :)
Shhhhh....that's the secret way of getting ahold of people.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1720 posts
218 upvotes
Red Deer
I find it strange that the warehouse doesn't allow exchanges but Costco.ca does and has a very easy exchange program that customers can set up on their website. I had to use it last week for a defective 43" TV that I ordered from Costco online and the exchange process was fantastic.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1457 posts
366 upvotes
Brampton, ON
How do we know OP did not mess up the tv?

Maybe he made this entire story up to not feel the wrath of the RFD people?
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
26 posts
Toronto
Uh ok... I'm to blame, I took it out of the box, attached the stand, and proceeded to use it to watch cable tv and Netflix. Totally guilty of misuse.

Anyway the screen defect is hard to notice except on a near white screen (like set up screens).