• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2011 9:12 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
canadiankorean wrote: I still wonder how they manage to sell so many coupons.
Majority must feel it's worth it.
Most people figure that if things fall apart then they will get their money back from the deal site or through a credit card chargeback. Most people also cannot tell the difference between organic and non-organic meat.
Jun 26, 2004
312 posts
3 upvotes
So if this is a ponzi scheme, it is best not to buy 4758392 of these at time.

Just buy 1 at a time, and hit the store soon after to ensure you get to use the deal. Isn't that the (soon to be) moral of the story?

It is weird though how the deals keep getting better and better.
Mar 21, 2009
57 posts
17 upvotes
bignasty28 wrote: So if this is a ponzi scheme, it is best not to buy 4758392 of these at time.

Just buy 1 at a time, and hit the store soon after to ensure you get to use the deal. Isn't that the (soon to be) moral of the story?

It is weird though how the deals keep getting better and better.
Maybe the plan is to use all the profits from the deals to finance their new fish store, then close the butcher shop, leaving all the deal sites and coupon holders high and dry....

Or just close up once and for all and skip town with all the money.
Jun 26, 2004
312 posts
3 upvotes
My understanding of the group deals is that the vendor doesn't actually get the cash until they submit the voucher#'s to the groupsite?

Is that not correct? That would eliminate the ponzi scheme type deals because you have to fund the inventory/service yourself up front.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
I am under the impression that when you get buy it, the store gets the money and the site gets their cut, which is why whent he site gives all the refunds they are 'taking a hit'. Because the store already has their cut, so any money being given asa refund is coming out of the site's pocket. So for example, in the $100 for $400 deal, if the split for the butchers/site is 50/50, then when you hit "buy", the butchers gets $50 and the site gets $50. When you ask for a refund, the site has to pay the $100, thus they are losing money. As an example, depending on the split. That is my impression of how it works anyway.

But this sounds like a typical ponzi scheme. They give a good deal to get people in (the original deal for $25 for $50 of meat or whatever). The word spreads, so they release a new deal ($50 for $175), and with an even higher discount, they get far more customers. And use the profits from the latest deal to pay for to cover for the old customers (thus making no money, and infact losing money at this stage), so they continue to release new and better deals (Now the $100 for $400), using the money they make from this to cover the expenses of the people from the previous deal, until eventually they get so much income in one go that they just close up shop and disappear with everyone's money. Essentially they use all the smaller, early deals to build credibility and be like "This isn't a scam! We are legit" and then they disappear.
Nov 23, 2010
126 posts
42 upvotes
most deal sites have 30 to 90 day terms. 50 percent after x amount of time, 50 percent at end of the period. some hold back 5% for refunds in an eskrow account, etc.

the butchers sold $627,000 worth of meat on dealfind alone in the middle of march. imagine what happens when they need to acquire $3,500,000 worth of goods to meet the demand over the next year. that is almost $10,000 worth of meat a day and they are not even able to accomodate people accordingly before these last two (buytopia and webpiggy) deals ran. where in gods name is a tiny butcher shop going to source this meat from and what cost to the customer?

people need to do the math and be forewarned.

this could all be cleared up if the showed where they are sourcing the meat (invoice, order form, etc) and prove that they are accounting their inventory properly (receipts).

instead of all this bravado by buytopia saying they are going to have a 'cook off' with doubters they might as well just do the aforementioned. showboating and subterfuge is NOT going to help anyone.

this whole situation is horrendous and i would stay away.

also, who ****ing cares about the quality of the meat, look at the **** people buy from price chopper. advertising it as naturally raised and organic is blatantly and patently false. if it is not, they would provide their source and we would all stfu.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
This is such an interesting story.

It will be interesting how this plays out.

That fish store opening and closing the butcher shop sounds plausible.
Take $1million in coupon money and suddenly close shop due to bankruptcy...

I'm sure all the dealsites have a disclaimer saying if a business goes out of business, they don't get a refund.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2005
1188 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
canadiankorean wrote: This is such an interesting story.

I'm sure all the dealsites have a disclaimer saying if a business goes out of business, they don't get a refund.

I bought a deal on Webpiggy (not this one) and the company went out of business. I called Webpiggy's 1-800 number and received a credit on my credit card for the full amount.
Oct 9, 2008
136 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
canadiankorean wrote: This is such an interesting story.

the butchers already partially went under. they had second store in thornhill that closed. (http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200903 ... ndex2.html THE INTERNET NEVER FORGETS)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
kator wrote: the butchers already partially went under. they had second store in thornhill that closed. (http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200903 ... ndex2.html THE INTERNET NEVER FORGETS)

That store was near my house, always contemplated going to check it out but I was told by friends that the prices were crazy high and not worth it, had a feeling it was the same people as this one
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Great write-up by The Healthy Butcher. The numbers are very important!
Aug 9, 2003
272 posts
41 upvotes
York
Dear DealTicker Customers:

It has come to our attention that The Butchers are turning away customers and refusing to honour vouchers purchased through our site.

This action has been taken unilaterally by The Butchers without consultation with or prior warning to DealTicker.

As a result of this conduct, we are obliged to discontinue this deal. We are currently in consultations with our legal team and are considering all legal remedies available against The Butchers.

To all who purchased this offering, DealTicker has only taken an authorization and no charges have been processed on to any credit cards. As such, all authorizations will be cancelled and no charges will appear for these transactions.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience the actions of The Butchers may have caused.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Yours very truly,

The DealTicker.com Team
Sep 11, 2010
62 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
from TheButchers website April 15 http://www.thebutchersorganic.com/index2.html

** Due to an influx of vouchers we have decided to close the store from 11:30am-1pm weekdays to clean and restock the store. After discussions with Toronto Health we have taken precautionary measures to ensure we continue to keep up our standards around cleanliness of the store.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
I feel that most group buys, the store changes the terms once you try to redeem it. happened to me 2x.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)