[Best Buy] Buy 2 Google Home Minis, get $60 off

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2018 3:50 pm
Mar 11, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
Kaitlyn wrote:
May 11th, 2018 9:19 am
Do people really use these? Whenever I talk to people they always just ask about weather or setting a timer... are these actually useful?
I use mine quite a bit. Mostly to listen to Spotify or podcasts in the kitchen. It's also nice to add things to my Google Shopping List verbally. It does cooking measure conversions for me when my hands are messy or occupied. It does a pretty good job of answering trivia questions. We also used it to surprise my kids the morning we took them to Disney World. I actually want another one for the bedroom and my son wants one for his room to listen to music.
Last edited by joelhuntx on May 11th, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 24, 2017
84 posts
15 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
best buy 29.99 is not a price error, that happened 3 times , 2 times I got email for it
Apr 2, 2009
176 posts
105 upvotes
vancouver
Same deal @ Home Depot
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Oct 6, 2007
986 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bought 3 from the source in december when they were 39.99, but the math worked out like this:

---------
- 12.00 (10% off Partner Saving Program)
- 25 off 100+ coupon
---------
82.97 + tax
= 27.65 + tax per.

Was super happy about that :)
Mar 7, 2009
407 posts
107 upvotes
Ottawa
couples of months ago, it was 39.99 at shoppers drug mart
Jun 17, 2006
346 posts
152 upvotes
Huge congrats to everyone who got it & noticed it cheaper a bunch of months ago!
Nov 14, 2017
50 posts
69 upvotes
This is a great deal. Don't be fooled by the people spouting lower prices. You would be fortunate to find these anywhere from $40-50. This is at the high end of that range, but it is well worth it for two of them.

I was lucky enough to get two for $80 in a previous sale, and extremely lucky to get one during BBs price error, but if I was lucky for another one I wouldn't expect it to go much lower than this price.

As for usability, I use mine fairly often, I own both an Alexa and a Home, and both have their perks, but the Home is my preferred unit, especially for music. I bought one of my units for my parents and they use it so much more than I do. My mom's is in the kitchen and she is frequently asking it questions, or telling it to play a song. Its good for recipe conversions and the like.

My dad has one in the garage now that they purchased after the first, and they use them to communicate with each other using the broadcast feature.

If your parents are in their 50+s I would highly recommend this as a mother's/father's day present.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
2342 posts
2123 upvotes
sickens wrote:
May 11th, 2018 10:34 am
Huge congrats to everyone who got it & noticed it cheaper a bunch of months ago!
Petition Trudeau to repeal the temporal prime directive.
Nov 14, 2004
112 posts
27 upvotes
Kelowna
Hawk25 wrote:
May 11th, 2018 8:54 am
Same promo at Costco right now
After promo discount, total is $98.50. I need something cheap to push me over $100 so I can use the Masterpass $20 promo as well!!! Calling for help from the RFD community!
Jan 26, 2018
375 posts
169 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote:
Do people really use these? Whenever I talk to people they always just ask about weather or setting a timer... are these actually useful?
It can do things other than that? :P
Well, we use it to play music, turn on and off lights, make shopping list, ask route direction, ask for words translation, ask silly questions for fun, kitchen timers, broadcast message on every floor
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1941 posts
656 upvotes
Sudbury
Kaitlyn wrote:
We have one in our ensuite.

It's super helpful in the morning...since it does voice recognition...it can differentiate my wife's voice and mine.

I ask it "Hey Google, tell me about my day". Starts with weather, then tells me my appointments (linked work email)...then sports news all while I shower/get ready.

My wife does the same.

The other neat feature is sending recipes to it to have it read aloud the ingredients/directions.

Of course, I use it for home automation too (lights, locks, etc)...however I find my Echo's work better.

It is also super easy to cast music to my vizio sound system via this.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1941 posts
656 upvotes
Sudbury
joelhuntx wrote:
May 11th, 2018 9:34 am
I use mine quite a bit. Mostly to listen to Spotify or podcasts in the kitchen. It's also nice to add things to my Google Shopping List verbally. It does cooking measure conversions for me when my hands are messy or occupied. It does a pretty good job of answering trivia questions. We also used it to surprise my kids the morning we took them to Disney World. I actually want another one for the bedroom and my son wants one for his room to listen to music.
My son has one in his room and an Echo Dot....I find the Echo better...now that Amazon has Alexa Blueprints...you can create your own skills and have your kids play along.

I bought a bunch of Echo Buttons when I was in the US and its super fun to create trivia games, etc and play along.
Oct 6, 2007
986 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I ended up picking up a pair as gifts from the source. Flashed my goodlife membership and got an extra 5 bucks off, for what it's worth. Came out to 96 or so before tax
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10093 posts
1910 upvotes
kanewtz wrote:
May 11th, 2018 2:47 pm
We have one in our ensuite.

It's super helpful in the morning...since it does voice recognition...it can differentiate my wife's voice and mine.

I ask it "Hey Google, tell me about my day". Starts with weather, then tells me my appointments (linked work email)...then sports news all while I shower/get ready.

My wife does the same.

The other neat feature is sending recipes to it to have it read aloud the ingredients/directions.

Of course, I use it for home automation too (lights, locks, etc)...however I find my Echo's work better.

It is also super easy to cast music to my vizio sound system via this.
Will have to try and redo my voice recognition. Did it when I set it up originally, and for fun, I said "Hey Google, remind me to send the kids to bed at 7 tonight", and my daughter heard and says "Hey Google, forget that reminder" and he did!
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
May 13, 2016
131 posts
155 upvotes
GTA
Kaitlyn wrote:
On its own I get it to play music and radio. I also use it as an alarm clock.

I have it paired with smart switches so I turn lights on/off

I also pair with my tv to turn it on/off.

None of this is necessary but for $30 (at the time) its worth it even as a speaker.
So easy, even I can do it.