Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Buy Payment Terminals for us with Moneris?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 3:15 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 29, 2008
329 posts
69 upvotes
Regina

Buy Payment Terminals for us with Moneris?

We are currently "renting" card terminals from Moneris, but I see plenty of the same model of machines available online for sale. Is there anything from preventing me from buying the machines outright and setting them up to work with our Moneris merchant account?

At $25 per month, or just buy it for $100...I'd like to be a little smarter about this.

Thanks!
Shane
5 replies
Mar 18, 2013
209 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
We're a Moneris partner and there is no way to use "outside" terminals as the terminal needs to be authorized to talk to Moneris.
Feb 18, 2014
204 posts
34 upvotes
No reputable provider will allow you to use a terminal that isn't their own. As well, you can't realistically buy a terminal for $100. Even if you do buy one on the cheap, and find a provider (reseller) that will take it on, they will still charge hundreds of dollars to activate. Stick to renting. It's not a huge monthly fee, you can return or upgrade whenever you want.
[OP]
Jul 29, 2008
329 posts
69 upvotes
Regina
I guess I should clarify that these are Moneris Ingenico ICT250 machines, same as what we currently rent, but they are used machines presumably previously owned by other businesses and being sold.

Was hoping to just get a handle on the many small recurring fees that small businesses incur that get out of hand and stoke your burn rate.
Feb 18, 2014
204 posts
34 upvotes
Ck2 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:44 am
Talk to your Moneris rep
Moneris does not allocate reps for small business accounts. You would have to call into their CS.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)