• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2004 10:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11934 posts
240 upvotes
That's a good point Monty. Unless you spend a lot of time copying CDs these days, doing it on a single drive isn't THAT bad. Plus you can get DVD-RWs for next to nothing now.

Add that to the recommended spec!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
wju2004 wrote:$119 - Athlon XP2500+
$115 - NF7-S mobo
$110 - 512MB Samsung PC3200
$115 - Seagate 120GB S-ATA HD
$35 - LG 52x CD-RW
$30 - LG 16X DVD
$10 - Sony Floppy Drive
$113 - Antec SX635BII with 350W PSU
-----
$647

So you've got $200 for a video card. I'd grab a 9600XT if I were a gamer, or a 9600AIW if you wanted to watch TV on your PC.

Thanks - any hints on where to get some of these - I am near College and Spadina and Yonge and Queen - so there are alot of places to choose from - in terms of quality vs price??? Thanks again for your excellent practical advice - but I guess I still would like a fancy case.

That PSU is very expensive. I would suggest that be replaced by an Enermax 350 watter, think it's the model 375 noisetaker and that also gives a steady 350watts and is very quiet. Costs less than $80 before tax..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7014 posts
70 upvotes
Nepean
silentio wrote:That PSU is very expensive. I would suggest that be replaced by an Enermax 350 watter, think it's the model 375 noisetaker and that also gives a steady 350watts and is very quiet. Costs less than $80 before tax..
PSU comes with a case ..
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11934 posts
240 upvotes
silentio wrote:That PSU is very expensive. I would suggest that be replaced by an Enermax 350 watter, think it's the model 375 noisetaker and that also gives a steady 350watts and is very quiet. Costs less than $80 before tax..
That's actually the case PLUS a PSU.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2004
605 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for all the helpful comments guys - I actually did buy stuff from CC - on College - they seemed OK - I like the little Mom and Pop operations on College and Spadina and only wished I could speak Chinese - I am sure if I had someone to help barter that this could be done...Oh well.

RFD members are the best!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2003
4230 posts
11 upvotes
Strathroy, ON
Sooo.. what did you get? lol
Power.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2004
605 posts
1 upvote
Just took the plunge with the MOBO that was recommended on here - hopefully it's not going to sit there collecting dust for too long and I can get to the other components before this weekend..
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2003
4230 posts
11 upvotes
Strathroy, ON
wju2004 wrote:Just took the plunge with the MOBO that was recommended on here - hopefully it's not going to sit there collecting dust for too long and I can get to the other components before this weekend..
You got the Abit NF7-S?
Power.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2003
4230 posts
11 upvotes
Strathroy, ON
Also, get 2 of the 256MB PC-3200 DDR400 $55 if you want Dual Channel... but just remember you won't be able to upgrade to 2 x 512mb later if you really want 1GB of Ram, without selling your 2 x 256mb first.
Power.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
201 upvotes
Hurk wrote:Also, get 2 of the 256MB PC-3200 DDR400 $55 if you want Dual Channel... but just remember you won't be able to upgrade to 2 x 512mb later if you really want 1GB of Ram, without selling your 2 x 256mb first.
You get NO performance increase with dual channel memory using a AMD processor.

Even with an Intel CPU the gain is not all that significant.

Course as you suggest if the cost is the same why not get it.

It will may be to sell it later if you wish to upgrade the memory in the future.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2003
4230 posts
11 upvotes
Strathroy, ON
Montague wrote:You get NO performance increase with dual channel memory using a AMD processor.

Even with an Intel CPU the gain is not all that significant.

Course as you suggest if the cost is the same why not get it.

It will may be to sell it later if you wish to upgrade the memory in the future.
Really? Could you post links? I always thought it seemed faster. :S
Power.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5105 posts
765 upvotes
GVR
Hurk wrote:Really? Could you post links? I always thought it seemed faster. :S
AMD Athlons (and Athlon XPs) do not make use of dual channel. It's a known fact.

Now, about near/[close to] top of the line computers... Unless my specs are really high, I don't think you'll manage with $850 (which had already been said).

1 CPU (or 2 if you really mean "top of the line" [desktop/workstation] computer)
2 sticks of RAM modules
1 board
1 nice vid card (9800 or x800)
1 nice sound card (M-Audio?)
2 harddrives (top of the line usually have at least one raid array. Whether you want P-ATA, S-ATA or SCSI [U160/U320] in raid 0 or 1 is up to you)
1 decent PSU
1 decent case
1 combo optical drive (at least one. So it'll be a DVD rewriter at least)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1029 posts
53 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have been a IT consultant for yrs now, this is what I always suggest my customers.

-Build it yourself if you don't need any support.
-Build it yourself if you need a powerfull PC.
-For grandma or others that don't know anything, get a Dell.

Enjoy.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5105 posts
765 upvotes
GVR
Focus wrote:I have been a IT consultant for yrs now, this is what I always suggest my customers.

-Build it yourself if you don't need any support.
-Build it yourself if you need a powerfull PC.
-For grandma or others that don't know anything, get a Dell.

Enjoy.
I agree, that always work pretty well.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11934 posts
240 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
1 CPU (or 2 if you really mean "top of the line" [desktop/workstation] computer)
2 sticks of RAM modules
1 board
1 nice vid card (9800 or x800)
1 nice sound card (M-Audio?)
2 harddrives (top of the line usually have at least one raid array. Whether you want P-ATA, S-ATA or SCSI [U160/U320] in raid 0 or 1 is up to you)
1 decent PSU
1 decent case
1 combo optical drive (at least one. So it'll be a DVD rewriter at least)
What kind of recommendations are these? 1 board? Ok, an eight foot 2 by 4. 2 sticks of RAM modules? How about a couple 32MB SODIMMS? I'm suddenly imagining you as a waiter...

"I recommend an appetizer to start, followed by the main course, and for a little something sweet after dinner, you might want to try dessert. Oh you're thirsty? How about some sort of liquid, sir?" :)