Shopping Discussion

Buy a specific GSM phone and you must be in specific Rogers plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2007 8:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1093 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto

Buy a specific GSM phone and you must be in specific Rogers plan?

I've mentioned in my previous thread
(http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=415501)
that my phone was completely destroyed, and I'm attempting to buy a new phone from tigerdirect.

I want to buy a blackberry 7100 phone, but I heard that I'll get automatically transferred to blackberry plan (I have a family plan right now)?

Anybody have any experience or know whether this is true or not?

It sucks if Rogers automatically transfers you to some PDA or blackberry plan just because you have that specific GSM phone.
5 replies
Banned
May 29, 2006
330 posts
nope..its unlocked phone..so rogers doesnt care what phone are you using unless you tell them that you are using a blackbery at that time they will put you on a blackberry plan..otherwise rogers doesnt know what phone you are using at what particular time.just get your sim card activated on any normal phone and then put it in your blackberry.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1093 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for clarifying that for me :)
Made an order now :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
7527 posts
53 upvotes
Pickering
Yeah don't worry about automatically being thrown on a BB plan. I used my dads 7100 without issue.

That being said, Rogers DOES know what phone you're using for the most part.

For example, I bought a Rogers locked K790a off someone on RFD. I popped my sim card in and go to the Rogers website, log in and it knows that the k790 is my phone. That being said, I don't think the same thing happened with my 7100 because it is unlocked and t-mobile branded.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
I recall that Fido required purchasers of a Sidekick to get a special data plan (that was cheaper than their normal data plan), because the Sidekick's functionality is mostly based on its data features.

Do Blackberries need some special protocol, etc. to interface with your office email? Even if they didn't, and use regular Internet to retrieve/send email, your data charges under your normal plan might be pretty expensive, so maybe that "Blackberry plan" would actually include data and thus end up saving you money.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)