PC & Video Games

Buy Switch now or when new version comes out?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2019 3:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
1981 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto

Buy Switch now or when new version comes out?

I keep reading Switch is going to be releasing a new version in the 2nd half of the year. Anyone think it's worth to wait or should I just buy what's available now?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
Nobody knows for certain if there will be a Switch revision in 2019, let alone if it would be a major upgrade. We can only speculate.

With no inside information, I think it's plausible we will see a Switch resign in late 2019 / early 2020 with thinner bezel, faster processor and better wi-fi chip.

If there are games on the Switch you really want to play, then you should pick it up right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2242 posts
297 upvotes
I doubt there will be a faster processor. It's extremely unlikely Nvidia is going to loop back to the X1 architecture. They could move to an X2, but why would they? Thermals and power usage are basically identical, and there's already games, even first party stuff, struggling with two hardware configurations so introducing two more seems ill advised.

If there is a refresh it will be stuff like a new panel (due to an OEM change, not an improvement), integrating the modular components like the radio to the main system board, and increasing the internal storage.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 10:53 am
I doubt there will be a faster processor. It's extremely unlikely Nvidia is going to loop back to the X1 architecture. They could move to an X2, but why would they? Thermals and power usage are basically identical, and there's already games, even first party stuff, struggling with two hardware configurations so introducing two more seems ill advised.

If there is a refresh it will be stuff like a new panel (due to an OEM change, not an improvement), integrating the modular components like the radio to the main system board, and increasing the internal storage.
The type of Switch refresh you with a new but unimproved panel and a change of modular components would likely be an unadvertised change.

The DS, 3DS, PS4 and Xbox One all had revisions with a faster processor. It's reasonable to speculate that a mid-gen Switch revision would have a bump in specs.
Aug 20, 2009
7131 posts
1833 upvotes
Grimsby
Sure but in this situation they're pretty much dependent on Nvidia. X1 specs don't allow for a bump and they want to reduce their cost per system so I'm not sure it makes sense for them to move to the X2.

I agree with Ascott, it's more likely to be a minor revision. Frankly it makes no sense to segregate users based on hardware at this early stage in the systems life. Nintendo traditionally hasn't had a lot of adoption in terms of software for midstream bumps either, most devs just play it safe.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1472 posts
353 upvotes
Things will always get cheaper, and better. If there was going to be a new version it would've released before holidays, so you're safe from "buyers remorse" for at least another 6 months or so.

Just get it. As someone who travels a lot for work, it's been an incredible purchase. I skipped Wii U so have been loving all the re-releases of the games I missed.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2242 posts
297 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 9:01 am
The type of Switch refresh you with a new but unimproved panel and a change of modular components would likely be an unadvertised change.

The DS, 3DS, PS4 and Xbox One all had revisions with a faster processor. It's reasonable to speculate that a mid-gen Switch revision would have a bump in specs.
They could make a bunch of other changes that don't involve the internal specs. Joycons with integrated grips, increased internal storage, new exterior materials, maybe joycons with a swap-able d-pad/4-button option? There's stuff they could do for an "improved" Switch that don't involve more raw technical oomph.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 9:25 pm
They could make a bunch of other changes that don't involve the internal specs. Joycons with integrated grips, increased internal storage, new exterior materials, maybe joycons with a swap-able d-pad/4-button option? There's stuff they could do for an "improved" Switch that don't involve more raw technical oomph.
Yeah, we'll see what happens. Nintendo likes to claim they are not in competition with Sony and Microsoft, but they are competing for the same gaming dollars from consumers. I am interested to see how Nintendo reacts to next gen hardware.
Jan 22, 2017
284 posts
1128 upvotes
I've seen a lot of opinions but I think people are taking an overly optimistic view of the upgrade. It's highly unlikely to be a fundamental hardware upgrade.

My guess is the 2019 "Switch 2"

- Expanded Internal Memory
- Expanded Screen size
- Internal revisions to increase battery life/and or increased battery capacity
- Improved joycon thumbsticks (to deal with QQ issues arising like drift/connectivity)
- Improved dock (so it does not scratch the screen)

If those things interest you than wait. If not just buy it now.

People saying it has to "compete" with next gen hardware well it just doesn't. Nintendo does it's own thing like always.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1695 posts
456 upvotes
mississauga
if you look at the cost breakdown a lot of the money is going into joycons, and I dont even like them that much. I think they have some room to play with but some of the tech is expensive in those things. #bringbacktheDPAD
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2979 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
Even if you don't already have a massive backlog, perfectly good free games are everywhere (legally, even). You might as well wait until there's some sort of compelling sale.

Conceivably, later units might become more difficult to hack than older units, but I haven't really been following that news very closely, and there's always another exploit eventually.
Jul 8, 2014
297 posts
150 upvotes
AB
I hope they make a switch version without the screen, like a proper console. I like nintendo games, but don't really care for the portability. I'd rather play on my big screen tv and use proper controllers instead of the flimsy joycons.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1804 posts
260 upvotes
North York
damatick wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 1:31 pm
I hope they make a switch version without the screen, like a proper console. I like nintendo games, but don't really care for the portability. I'd rather play on my big screen tv and use proper controllers instead of the flimsy joycons.
Leave your Switch docked. Sell/trade the joycons for a pro controller.

The portability is the selling feature so don't think that's going away.
Jul 8, 2014
297 posts
150 upvotes
AB
spawn582 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:19 pm
Leave your Switch docked. Sell/trade the joycons for a pro controller.

The portability is the selling feature so don't think that's going away.
I have a WiiU, and basically do this. I store the display game pad and just use pro controllers.

I'm sure there is a market for people who don't want a portable switch. If they can make a console version switch for less money, it would prob sell like hot cakes.
Dec 15, 2013
959 posts
305 upvotes
North of Toronto
The main reasons for Nintendo to release a revision would be (in no particular order)

1. To reduce the cost of manufacturing on the Switch.
2. Stop any possible hardware hacks that could happen.
3. Increase speed of processor, ram size, screen tech.
4. Increase internal storage.
5. Revitalize Switch sales with a new revision which always happens when a new revision comes out.