PC & Video Games

Buy Switch now or when new version comes out?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2019 3:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
johanscott wrote: I keep reading Switch is going to be releasing a new version in the 2nd half of the year. Anyone think it's worth to wait or should I just buy what's available now?
Everybody should know that there is NO WAY to keep up ... unless if you are loaded (which would mean you would buy everything that is a new release without even thinking).

There's always going to be upgrades of all electronics ... and that is a CONSTANT THING!

Just like ... you get a TV during this past Black Friday (2018) ... Black Friday (2019) has a new model coming out ... what are you going to do?

Buy and be satisfied.

Hypothetically ... you buy ... you don't like ... and you want the newer and better version ... then sell the old ... take a slight loss (there will be somebody out there that would want a used older model because they can't afford the newer model) ... then go buy the newer release. SIMPLE!

I do that with all our electronics ... all our appliances ... all our furniture ... all my tools ... all my fishing gear ...

When you want to upgrade something ... just sell the old and then buy the new.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: Current Switch docking and playing are still quirky at best and pretty problem prone
what quirks/problem?

would i like it if it can dock horizontally or is compact enough to fit in my home theatre shelf? sure...but just having the flexibility to grab it and go is nice even if it's docked for most of its life

in fact, i like that option so much i went out and bought a used Vita for remote playing PS4 titles

if they cut out the cheap LCD screen and dock mechanism, i doubt they'll pass on much savings to the consumer...$50? $100? even then your traditional TV-tethered Nintendo home console that sucks at online is still $300

before launch in 2017, i bitched and whined about them going with a dated Pascal chip and low-res screen. But honestly, these cost saving choices have not significantly degraded the experience for first party games. They run just fine, though some anti-aliasing would be welcomed, docked or undocked

my main gripe with the system is still the cost of controllers...$100 for joycons...are you insane?! people that buy and support these price points are even crazier
AV-Fishing wrote: There's always going to be upgrades of all electronics ... and that is a CONSTANT THING!

Just like ... you get a TV during this past Black Friday (2018) ... Black Friday (2019) has a new model coming out ... what are you going to do?

Buy and be satisfied.
black friday goods are usually last year's crap

meh, if you time electronics purchase right, even if you pay a bit more, they can easily be relevant for 5 years

if you buy when something's been out for year or two around when next-gen is just about to come out traditionally, no one to blame but yourself for not doing some research
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
Cucumference wrote: I don't think I agree with this:

Current Switch docking and playing are still quirky at best and pretty problem prone. While Switch is designed around being a portable device. Having a dedicated, more powerful, possibly quieter and more importantly, cheaper console for home use can be a big draw. Especially since the popularity of Switch is ensured, long as it retains compatibility I'm sure a lot of people will want one.
The Switch has its share of issues, but the docking aspect of it works seamlessly.

Dedicated portable gaming is big in Japan, but not as much in North America and Europe. I could see Nintendo releasing a dockless Switch as a Japan-only offering.

Some of the most popular games on the Switch such as Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Super Mario Party are meant to be played on a TV with multiple players.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7812 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
I'd be happy with a more power efficient version with a more durable (nicer?) screen, more internal memory and dedicated NAND for deep sleep. That is the feature I miss the most about my Vita. You could put that sucker to sleep, come back a month later and it would still have 80%+ charge due to the on-board memory for sleep state.

Edit: Oh, and updating the Joy Cons / Pro controller so the buttons aren't so damn loud.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2301 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
I feel there will be a Switch Pro, as well as a sleeker re-designed Switch at a lower price. I say hold off until it's announced. In the meantime, enjoy your games on whatever platform you're playing on now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
stevelam wrote: they're already selling like hot cakes. literally no need for nintendo to do this at all. a non-portable version would basically be the wii u, which nobody wanted or bought.
This is what nintendo is best at doing. Releasing products that nobody really wanted. A portable only version of the switch sounds like something they would try to do.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1981 posts
603 upvotes
toronto
tigerhawk33 wrote: I feel there will be a Switch Pro, as well as a sleeker re-designed Switch at a lower price. I say hold off until it's announced. In the meantime, enjoy your games on whatever platform you're playing on now.
comon its nintendo, they're going to do everything, cost-cutting, premium who else knows what, in a matter of time. An interesting tidbit in the homebrew scene, people are overclocking the memory and gpu and have had significant improvements to games in handheld mode, like zelda botw went from slide-show choppy to fluid. Apparently the memory is made to clock higher to spec but nintendo gimped it not sure why as I havent read into it. Im sure they're playing it safe on the battery, but the switch has built-in protection for anything that will harm it anyway so.
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
the point is, the Switch is still a fresh system and sells just fine. Nintendo said they wont a successor at this stage nor consider price cuts.

if you're expecting revised hardware it's at a minimum like 18 months out
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1981 posts
603 upvotes
toronto
twitchyzero wrote: the point is, the Switch is still a fresh system and sells just fine. Nintendo said they wont a successor at this stage nor consider price cuts.

if you're expecting revised hardware it's at a minimum like 18 months out
ah yes because nintendo said, reggie also said metroid prime 4 development was going fine. they've been known to not tell you shit then reveal something right after. derp.
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
does Fils-Aime oversee development at Nintendo HQ in Japan? nope....just a hype man at conventions

have you heard developers complaining that the hardware is holding them back? nope

frankly i dont think Nintendo cares if games play like poop in handheld mode...they are making money hand over fist and third party studio are lined up to get their projects onto this platform

Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1981 posts
603 upvotes
toronto
twitchyzero wrote: does Fils-Aime oversee development at Nintendo HQ in Japan? nope....just a hype man at conventions
was just a recent example, nintendo japan has denied new ds hardware but showed up with it right after, you cant always trust what they say or what they do.
twitchyzero wrote: have you heard developers complaining that the hardware is holding them back? nope
have you actually read any developer interviews? almost every developer interview I've read mentioned how challenging it was developing for the switch.

anyway, you're in no position to be making any claims about hardware releases but I agree with you, money looks like its going good over there right about now.
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
let's see them interviews

challenge because it's not an AMD APU like in XBOX/PlayStation or challenging because they can't crank out 1440p+ on Battlefield games?

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
For anyone holding out for the new version, Nintendo had their earnings report and gave a hint as to what it will look like.

Nintendo’s next Switch model will reportedly shrink the size, cost, features

"The report from official stock exchange news outlet Nikkei.com (helpfully translated by Nintendo Everything) cites a combination of hardware partners and game developers who all suggest the next Switch model will be "miniaturized." The resulting system will reportedly emphasize "portability" and "playing outside," and it will "cut features" to bring the retail price down."

So it looks like it will just be a smaller, cheaper, perhaps dockless version of the current Switch. Kind of the same idea behind what they did with the 2DS in relation to to the 3DS (which removed the hinge and the 3D functionality in order to lower the price point). It doesn't look like a power boost is on the menu.

I'm really curious to see what this looks like because I feel like they've kind of pigeonholed themselves in the size department because this thing has to be compatible with the joycons. Unless they aren't going down that route and this will just be something along the lines of a PSVita.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote: For anyone holding out for the new version, Nintendo had their earnings report and gave a hint as to what it will look like.

"The report from official stock exchange news outlet Nikkei.com (helpfully translated by Nintendo Everything) cites a combination of hardware partners and game developers who all suggest the next Switch model will be "miniaturized." The resulting system will reportedly emphasize "portability" and "playing outside," and it will "cut features" to bring the retail price down."

So it looks like it will just be a smaller, cheaper, perhaps dockless version of the current Switch. Kind of the same idea behind what they did with the 2DS in relation to to the 3DS (which removed the hinge and the 3D functionality in order to lower the price point). It doesn't look like a power boost is on the menu.

I'm really curious to see what this looks like because I feel like they've kind of pigeonholed themselves in the size department because this thing has to be compatible with the joycons. Unless they aren't going down that route and this will just be something along the lines of a PSVita.
100% no joycons on the thing. It'll likely be a "all in 1 box" type of system, in a smaller form factor than the current one.

i'll be passing up on it since im not the target audience.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2301 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: For anyone holding out for the new version, Nintendo had their earnings report and gave a hint as to what it will look like.

I was watching a video on YouTube, and some long-time gamer was saying that his sources were saying there was going to be 3 versions coming out; 1) Super Switch (just a bit more powerful than a regular PS4), 2) a Portable Switch with no docking station (just like the one your'e talking about), and 3) a slimmer more refined version of the current Switch system. It'll be an interesting year to say the least.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)