• Jan 11th, 2019 2:39 am
[OP]
Mar 22, 2006
128 posts
22 upvotes

Owlet Cam - Baby video monitor $179.99

Retailer:
Buybuy Baby Canada
Buybuy Baby Canada has the Owlet Cam in stock for $179.99.

If you look on Owlet's canadian website, you will see that it is still a pre-order and is expected to ship out end of January and it is selling for $199.99

This is a brand new product so there aren't any reviews but if they produce something similar in quality to their Owlet sock then this should be a good product. This works with or without the Owlet sock

Here are some features:
Live stream from anywhere via NEW Owlet App
Secure, encrypted WiFi
Background audio
Room temperature sensor
Night vision
HD 1080p video
Adjustable magnetic base
Two-way audio
130° wide angle lens

Owlet Cam Product page

I purchased one myself and will be testing it out to see how it holds up.

The product hasn't even been put up on the Bed Bath and Beyond site.

Let me know what you guys think. Seems to be at least a warm deal.

Note: Also, you can buy the Owlet Cam + Sock bundle which is selling for $499.99 at BBB vs Owlet Canada has it for pre-order for $539.99
29 replies
Dec 24, 2017
382 posts
641 upvotes
lel
Other than the temperature monitor, is there any other advantage to baby monitors in general, compared to a Yi cam or some sort of other, way cheaper, camera?
Koodo $45 - 4GB +1GB bonus (retention deal). S9 for $360-150 GC
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Nov 23, 2017
203 posts
324 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Link to the Buy Buy Baby product page?
[OP]
Mar 22, 2006
128 posts
22 upvotes
dayofthedeb wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:55 pm
Link to the Buy Buy Baby product page?
Hi, I wrote above that this has not even been listed on the BBB site. They must have decided to sell these in store early.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1111 posts
446 upvotes
Pingalino wrote:
Other than the temperature monitor, is there any other advantage to baby monitors in general, compared to a Yi cam or some sort of other, way cheaper, camera?
I bought the baby arlo because it has temperature monitor, humidity monitor, air quality monitor, 2 way communication, you can play music through it, has a colour changing nightlight... but I ended up not even using any of those features and in hindsight should have just bought a cheaper camera.
Aug 23, 2011
179 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Never found a monitor that did both audio and video well. Went with two monitors that did each seamlessly. Audio - Phillips Avent is SCD570 (amazing product, signal reaches to our neighbours back yard two houses away). Video - Nest Cam (ability to scrub back in time w/ subscription is so nice. Nest app on all platforms and browsers. Make sure you have a strong wifi/mesh setup for nest devices).
Nov 23, 2017
203 posts
324 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
estel_mm wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:58 pm
Hi, I wrote above that this has not even been listed on the BBB site. They must have decided to sell these in store early.
Which location were you at?

Guessing the 20% off coupon doesn't work for it?
[OP]
Mar 22, 2006
128 posts
22 upvotes
dayofthedeb wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:02 pm
Which location were you at?

Guessing the 20% off coupon doesn't work for it?
This was the Vaughan location. Was not able to use the 20% off because Owlet is one of the restricted manufacturers that do not allow coupons.

However! If you happen to be on a registry, we received our 10% off registry completion coupon and that one did work in store!

I was there to buy the Nanit but considering it was half the price, thought I would take a leap of faith on this one considering their past history with their sock.
Aug 23, 2011
179 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Are false positives common with the sock devices?
Nov 23, 2017
203 posts
324 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
estel_mm wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:07 pm
This was the Vaughan location. Was not able to use the 20% off because Owlet is one of the restricted manufacturers that do not allow coupons.

However! If you happen to be on a registry, we received our 10% off registry completion coupon and that one did work in store!

I was there to buy the Nanit but considering it was half the price, thought I would take a leap of faith on this one considering their past history with their sock.
Interesting! Maybe I should set up a registry then through them. I have one set up through Babylist right now. Did you use in-store ebates too with BBB? I've never actually tried using the in-store (linked to credit card) before.

I was looking at the Nanit too, but some of the reviews regarding warranty and support in Canada seemed pretty negative. It also did seem overpriced too.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1542 posts
841 upvotes
Kitchener
Pingalino wrote:
We tired other cheaper cameras, but the issue not having a dedicated screen. Thus we ended up buying a dedicated child monitor.

Using your phone or tablet for a screen seems like a great idea, until you really need it just to be a screen for the camera while baby is sleeping. Using your phone is frustrating since you will want to use it to do other things, so we then used a tablet and ipad as the baby screen. But with then, when we picked up or moved the tablet, the camera app would minimize due to a erroneous touch of a button or screen. Just dumb things like that, or apps updating all the time, google updates ect.

Was more annoying then really anything else.

We found having a dedicated baby monitor worked best and was the most simple.

I should add whe got the monitors for $25 and $35 during the Sears closing.
Last edited by keyser-soze on Jan 2nd, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2006
128 posts
22 upvotes
dayofthedeb wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:14 pm
Interesting! Maybe I should set up a registry then through them. I have one set up through Babylist right now. Did you use in-store ebates too with BBB? I've never actually tried using the in-store (linked to credit card) before.

I was looking at the Nanit too, but some of the reviews regarding warranty and support in Canada seemed pretty negative. It also did seem overpriced too.
I didn't even know instore ebates was a thing.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2006
128 posts
22 upvotes
keyser-soze wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:23 pm
We tired other cheaper cameras, but the issue not having a dedicated screen. Thus we ended up buying a dedicated child monitor.

Using your phone or tablet for a screen seems like a great idea, until you really need it just to be a screen for the camera while baby is sleeping. Using your phone is frustrating since you will want to use it to do other things, so we then used a tablet and ipad as the baby screen. But with then, when we picked up or moved the tablet, the camera app would minimize due to a erroneous touch of a button or screen. Just dumb things like that, or apps updating all the time, google updates ect.

Was more annoying then really anything else.

We found having a dedicated baby monitor worked best and was the most simple.

I should add whe got the monitors for $25 and $35 during the Sears closing.
The beauty with this cam is that it has background audio which means you can look at other things on your phone (and still hear what your baby is doing) instead of having the parent app open at all times.
This is something that the Nest cam for example cannot do.
Sep 26, 2018
21 posts
34 upvotes
the security encryption is a big deal. the last thing i would want is some stranger hacking into my home wifi and getting access to any interior cameras. people are so unaware of these things.