• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 2:39 am
Jul 17, 2012
545 posts
196 upvotes
Kamloops
i use this for baby monitor:

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/xiao ... KHEALw_wcB

got it for 28 shipped i think a while ago. works pretty good. fantastic night vision. i plan to put a few more later when need a babysitter. this one you can talk and i can monitor at work too. i also captured some cool orbs with the night vision, still unexplained but will be fun to post on youtube. baby seem to be able to sense orbs and stuff, pretty cool lol. maybe that's why we don't remember things at under 1 year old : )
Dec 5, 2015
445 posts
456 upvotes
Verdun, QC
keyser-soze wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:23 pm
We tired other cheaper cameras, but the issue not having a dedicated screen. Thus we ended up buying a dedicated child monitor.

Using your phone or tablet for a screen seems like a great idea, until you really need it just to be a screen for the camera while baby is sleeping. Using your phone is frustrating since you will want to use it to do other things, so we then used a tablet and ipad as the baby screen. But with then, when we picked up or moved the tablet, the camera app would minimize due to a erroneous touch of a button or screen. Just dumb things like that, or apps updating all the time, google updates ect.

Was more annoying then really anything else.

We found having a dedicated baby monitor worked best and was the most simple.

I should add whe got the monitors for $25 and $35 during the Sears closing.
2 babies in and this is pretty much the truth. It's just a hassle to have the monitor on phone. Dedicated screen is the way to go. It easy, you can bring it with you if you travel, you're not draining your phone battery with running app, moist will swivel and pan if need be.

I got a "high end" Motorola for baby 1, then a cheap Chinese made for baby 2. They both work well... Don't need high end stuff. I just want to keep and eye on the kids to make sure they are safe.
Dec 5, 2015
445 posts
456 upvotes
Verdun, QC
keyser-soze wrote:
We tired other cheaper cameras, but the issue not having a dedicated screen. Thus we ended up buying a dedicated child monitor.

Using your phone or tablet for a screen seems like a great idea, until you really need it just to be a screen for the camera while baby is sleeping. Using your phone is frustrating since you will want to use it to do other things, so we then used a tablet and ipad as the baby screen. But with then, when we picked up or moved the tablet, the camera app would minimize due to a erroneous touch of a button or screen. Just dumb things like that, or apps updating all the time, google updates ect.

2 babies in and this is pretty much the truth. It's just a hassle to have the monitor on phone. Dedicated screen is the way to go. It easy, you can bring it with you if you travel, you're not draining your phone battery with running app, moist will swivel and pan if need be.

I got a "high end" Motorola for baby 1, then a cheap Chinese made for baby 2. They both work well... Don't need high end stuff. I just want to keep and eye on the kids to make sure they are safe.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1965 posts
952 upvotes
Alliston, ON
estel_mm wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:07 pm
I was there to buy the Nanit but considering it was half the price, thought I would take a leap of faith on this one considering their past history with their sock.
dayofthedeb wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:14 pm
I was looking at the Nanit too, but some of the reviews regarding warranty and support in Canada seemed pretty negative. It also did seem overpriced too.
I have the Nanit Baby Monitor and I love it. It is a bit pricey but I think it's well worth it with all its features. I thought about upgrading to the new Nanit plus to get 2 way audio, and playing of nature sounds but I ended up putting a amazon echo in the room to use as a sound machine.
You get notifications to your phone for sound or movement. The subscription based reports are what sets it apart from other cameras. Sure it's another yearly fee but the info it gives is great.
I'd highly recommend the Nanit after using it for the last couple months.

The only downside to wifi video monitors is the WiFi signal in your house. I ended up having to install some of bell's pods to increase the signal to give the camera a better connection.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1150 posts
144 upvotes
Vancouver
muscleking wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 2:30 am
i use this for baby monitor:

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/xiao ... KHEALw_wcB

got it for 28 shipped i think a while ago. works pretty good. fantastic night vision. i plan to put a few more later when need a babysitter. this one you can talk and i can monitor at work too. i also captured some cool orbs with the night vision, still unexplained but will be fun to post on youtube. baby seem to be able to sense orbs and stuff, pretty cool lol. maybe that's why we don't remember things at under 1 year old : )
That thing sucks, I used it and had constant app crashes. the camera would pan on its own. Would freeze and get static picture and all sound, or get picture and no sound. Went back to my nest camera.
Graphic Designer
Dec 5, 2015
445 posts
456 upvotes
Verdun, QC
schade wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:33 am
I have the Nanit Baby Monitor and I love it. It is a bit pricey but I think it's well worth it with all its features. I thought about upgrading to the new Nanit plus to get 2 way audio, and playing of nature sounds but I ended up putting a amazon echo in the room to use as a sound machine.
You get notifications to your phone for sound or movement. The subscription based reports are what sets it apart from other cameras. Sure it's another yearly fee but the info it gives is great.
I'd highly recommend the Nanit after using it for the last couple months.

The only downside to wifi video monitors is the WiFi signal in your house. I ended up having to install some of bell's pods to increase the signal to give the camera a better connection.
I can't imagine using something like that. My phone would vibrate every time baby moves, loses her pacifier, reaches for stuff toy, etc... Like what is the point of having all that data? What have you done differently because of the data this thing gave you?

I use the simplest monitor so just trying to understand the need for something like this. I love gadgets, but I feel like this would make me so paranoid already when baby was new born our monitor was being monitored every hour lol.
Nov 24, 2004
15 posts
Go Canucks Go !!
Anyone know any cheap non-internet wireless baby monitor? Need one for traveling but might not have internet.
Jul 17, 2012
545 posts
196 upvotes
Kamloops
tark514 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 1:41 pm
I can't imagine using something like that. My phone would vibrate every time baby moves, loses her pacifier, reaches for stuff toy, etc... Like what is the point of having all that data? What have you done differently because of the data this thing gave you?

I use the simplest monitor so just trying to understand the need for something like this. I love gadgets, but I feel like this would make me so paranoid already when baby was new born our monitor was being monitored every hour lol.
You can turn sound/vibration on off from the app. I have a crappy old iphone 5s that I don't mind having screen on all the time for this. gets pretty hot. I tried it and works but I don't really use this thing much. you can set it to transfer video and sound only so just like baby monitor. just cheap alternative compare to real baby monitor.
Jun 25, 2009
669 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
probably not the place to post, but desperately trying to figure out a good baby camera to buy.
a lot of good points made in the above post, not trying to break the bank here.
some recommended the Wyze Cam Pan 1080p
another recommended the Motorola MBP36S
i'm conflicted , i do want a non wifi camera, with a simple camera + monitor set up but they seem pricey are bad reviewed.
Nov 26, 2017
79 posts
61 upvotes
Stittsville, ON
Bought an Yi home camera for 40$ from Amazon and use my old android phone as a dedicated screen.
Rogers Ignite 500u - 30$
Public Mobile 1Gb - 25-8$
Apr 5, 2017
15 posts
3 upvotes
keyser-soze wrote:

I used to have same thoughts until recently started to use Wyze Cam (you could use other cam I guess) together with my old tablets (though can still run Android5+). Man, there is no comparison. I would say all previous/current baby cams sucked/suck in one way or another. I have used at least 4 different baby cam brands, you can tell the technology used in baby cams is generations older.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1745 posts
825 upvotes
tark514 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 1:41 pm
What have you done differently because of the data this thing gave you?
If you do shift between the parents at night, you can maximize sleep time by checking when the last feed was through the monitor event without needing to write it down or note it on the phone.

Most data is useless, but there are some uses.
Jan 6, 2006
963 posts
78 upvotes
Markham
If you have the moola to spend, this is ok.

An ip-cam is a much versatile option and can be repurposed once its baby monitoring mission is completed. An app like tinycam pro works great for the purpose.
Apr 23, 2016
174 posts
113 upvotes
ValendiaKnight wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:39 pm
probably not the place to post, but desperately trying to figure out a good baby camera to buy.
a lot of good points made in the above post, not trying to break the bank here.
some recommended the Wyze Cam Pan 1080p
another recommended the Motorola MBP36S
i'm conflicted , i do want a non wifi camera, with a simple camera + monitor set up but they seem pricey are bad reviewed.
I wanted a non wifi camera as well but there are surprisingly few cameras that have a LAN port. I eventually went with the Amcrest ProHD. Not the cheapest camera (around $110 on Amazon), but it's well built, has good day/night video quality, 2way voice/audio and it has a LAN port on it. The app is super clunky and not very user friendly but once it's set up it's pretty much hassle free and does the job well.