Shopping Discussion

BUYER BEWARE - FS Richmond Hill Location (possibly others)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2012 11:25 am
Tags:
None
Sep 5, 2012
7 posts
12 upvotes
Richmond Hill

BUYER BEWARE - FS Richmond Hill Location (possibly others)

Just a heads up for anyone purchasing laptops from FS.

I purchased a brand new Samsung NP535u3c laptop yesterday from the Richmond Hill ON location. Upon arriving home, opening the box (which was SEALED with Samsung brand tape) and booting up the computer, I noticed a few strange things; first, Mozilla Firefox came installed on the computer (which NEVER happens on MS Windows PCs) and more tellingly, the computer name under "My Computer" was "JUSTIN-NOTEBOOK". I checked the Programs panel under the Control Panel, and sure enough, someone had installed programs on my "brand new" computer on August 30/12, one week before I bought it. No, these were not manufacturer programs, they were third party software downloaded from the internet.

I took the computer to the North York ON location and was able to get it exchanged for a REAL new one. The staff at this store mentioned to me that this was EXTREMELY STRANGE, and that if it was sealed with SAMSUNG TAPE, it should have indicated that this comptuer was brand new from the factory.

This indicates to me that at least one store, the Richmond Hill ON location, RE-SEALS customer returned computers and resells them as BRAND NEW computers, which is extremely disturbing to me. What would be even mroe disturbing is if this was widespread practice.
17 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah there is no way someone bought it, used it then resealed it using the original tape and told them it was never opened. :facepalm:

You bought it, it was used, they exchanged it without issue...if anything that's a store I'd want to buy from. Thanks for telling us to shop at Future Shop.
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
67 upvotes
How would a FS employee have access to the Samsung factory tape?
I agree with Cas77, they showed excellent service in exchanging a used item.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
648 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Cas77 wrote: Yeah there is no way someone bought it, used it then resealed it using the original tape and told them it was never opened. :facepalm:

You bought it, it was used, they exchanged it without issue...if anything that's a store I'd want to buy from. Thanks for telling us to shop at Future Shop.
THIS, Really. This is a one post troll who is probably related to that same lady whining about her precious kid and the whole horrifying pizza at school fiasco.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
dastig wrote: This indicates to me that at least one store, the Richmond Hill ON location, RE-SEALS customer returned computers and resells them as BRAND NEW computers, which is extremely disturbing to me. What would be even mroe disturbing is if this was widespread practice.
Or Justin took the tape off carefully and returned it as not being open.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1755 posts
443 upvotes
Ojam wrote: Or Justin took the tape off carefully and returned it as not being open.
This is possible, but I believe OP is a troll.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
I think that Future Shop would be wise to check every computer that is returned whether the customer claims it has been opened or not to prevent this as well as parts swapping or other types of theft or fraud however this would inconvenience legitimate customers who are returning items as their return would take much longer and people would complain that Future Shop is treating them like a criminal. As for the OPs issue, get over yourself. Your description indicates that the exchange went smoothly and Future Shop treated you well.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
i used to have a lot of issues with future shop and supposedly new unopened items only to get home to find once opened that the items inside have been used and not even cleaned. not so much since Best buy bought them but still do once in awhile. also had similar issues with London drugs and would return it only to see them simply put the item back on the shelf after putting new tape on the box - not even being careful to see if anyone was watching.

i just am now very careful to look at whatever i buy for prints or anything that shouldn't be there if it is supposedly not opened and straight from the manufacturer.

ohh they will treat you good if you return it but they are hoping you wont bother too and would rather call tech support to like in the case of the OP to just reinstall the OS. so i personally wont call him a troll.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
53 posts
3 upvotes
KENORA
A good reminder, thanks op. We'd better check whatever we purchased carefully. Such kind of thing may happen to us
Sep 5, 2012
7 posts
12 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ojam wrote: Or Justin took the tape off carefully and returned it as not being open.
Actually, I am not a troll. I was just so incensed that I didn't even see this possibility. Oh well, I guess maybe I was wrong. On second thought, my hypothesis that FS has rolls of fake Samsung tape in the back just doesn't hold water.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Hahaha, have had this happen to me at Best Buy and know of many others who have experienced this too. Not that rare, it's most likely someone opened it carefully, used it for awhile, didn't like it, and carefully repackaged and resealed the box and returned it. FS/BB would have no reason to open and inspect something they believe is still sealed, or they're just lazy, or both.

It's not really a big deal, you probably could have taken it back to the Richmond Hill FS and they likely would have exchanged it for you without any hassle. If they gave you problems on the exchange or return then I'd say you've got a real complaint here. From my experience, the Richmond Hill FS location has one of the best customer service out of all the FS stores I've been to in Ontario.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
I understand that it's annoying but the only reason you have this problem is because they were nice enough to exchange the item for you like they exchanged for this Justin.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2057 posts
885 upvotes
When I bought my laptop at FS, it was advertised as an i5 processor, but the label on the box stated it had an i3 processor in it. As they did not have a demo to check, the manager carefully opened the box flaps at the bottom (not the side with the tape) and took the laptop out of the box. We checked the label on the laptop itself and it was in fact an i5. He repackaged the laptop frrom the bottom (I ended up buying it), and fixed the flaps. Honestly, it would have been next to impossible to ever tell it had been opened (the tape was still there and the bottom flaps looked fine). Obviously this was not the first time he had done this and I'm sure some customers could do the exact same thing (I know I can as he showed me how, lol).
Mar 14, 2010
149 posts
11 upvotes
Sure it wasn't a refurb or clearance item? Do they sell refurbished and new models of the same laptop because maybe you got the wrong box.
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
I hope you saved the nudey pics of Justin's girlfriend before you returned it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
SleepyMcGee wrote: I hope you saved the nudey pics of Justin's girlfriend before you returned it.
And blackmail him, or post it all on the internets. That'll teach him to carefully resealing packages and returning them.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5148 posts
1070 upvotes
fs/bb do not have manufacturer tape, this most likely got swapped at some point before it changed hands to BB. That or someone knows how to put back on tape really carefully.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Mar 15, 2009
197 posts
103 upvotes
Vancouver
Probably the box was opened from the bottom and the CSR just assumed that since the top was untouched/sealed it was still brand new.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)