None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2011
5531 posts
1138 upvotes
GTA

Buyer buys a car to ship oversea

Any caution if I sell my used car to a buyer who said he is going to ship to Jamaica? It means I don't need to Cert nor e-test my car. And he won't register the car in the country.

What if he uses the car to do some illegal things in his country or even in Canada? Does sale receipt in UVIP is enough to protect me?

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
838 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
So long as you have the cash in your hand, or at least the bank, the guy can do what he wants with it. And make sure the cheque is legit.

Btw, did you advertise the car on Craig's List or Kijiji?

Did the buyer say he was working out of the country and had limited internet service?

Did he say he was buying it for a family member and shipping it to Jamaica?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then it's a scam.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1226 posts
1229 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I sold my first car to someone who shipped to Libya, and my second car to someone who sent it to California. As long as you have the cash in hand, take the VIN of the car and approximate date of sale to the Ministry and report the vehicle as sold. You will no longer be legally responsible for the car should something happen to it, though it may still be in your name.

Surprisingly when I went to declare my 2nd vehicle sold last week, they told me that it had already been registered, so there was no need.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Oct 24, 2009
731 posts
611 upvotes
Vancouver
icicic wrote:
May 21st, 2016 6:50 pm
Any caution if I sell my used car to a buyer who said he is going to ship to Jamaica? It means I don't need to Cert nor e-test my car. And he won't register the car in the country.

What if he uses the car to do some illegal things in his country or even in Canada? Does sale receipt in UVIP is enough to protect me?

Thanks
With the weak CDN dollar, this is getting more and more common. Just make sure that the buyer is the one doing the shipping and you confirm payment before doing anything. Anyone that asks you to ship the car is a scammer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2011
5531 posts
1138 upvotes
GTA
poleman wrote:
May 21st, 2016 6:57 pm
So long as you have the cash in your hand, or at least the bank, the guy can do what he wants with it. And make sure the cheque is legit.

Btw, did you advertise the car on Craig's List or Kijiji?

Did the buyer say he was working out of the country and had limited internet service?

Did he say he was buying it for a family member and shipping it to Jamaica?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then it's a scam.
Yes, from kijiji and he said he buy it for his brother in Jamacia. We met. And we will deal with $ and the car in person in GTA.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2333 posts
648 upvotes
Make sure that you report the car as sold at service ontario. If he uses it to do illegal things either here or elsewhere and you're the only person on the ownership, it can come back to be a hassle.
Sep 22, 2010
84 posts
21 upvotes
icicic wrote:
May 21st, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks
Just sold my bike and was surprised to see on the UVIP that it is the sellers responsibity to ensure the buyer registers as the new owner.

From MTO website:
Did you know?

The vehicle will remain registered in the seller’s name until the vehicle transfer has been completed at ServiceOntario. Caution, if the vehicle transfer has not been completed, you may be pursued legally as the vehicle owner in the event of an infraction involving the vehicle.

A seller should follow up with the buyer to ensure that the vehicle transfer is completed. A seller should retain proof of the vehicle transfer. For record purposes only, a seller may visit a ServiceOntario centre to notify the ministry that their vehicle has been “Sold”. However, this does not transfer the vehicle ownership.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... used.shtml
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2016
1035 posts
252 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
CensoredByRFD wrote:
May 21st, 2016 8:22 pm
Make sure that you report the car as sold at service ontario. If he uses it to do illegal things either here or elsewhere and you're the only person on the ownership, it can come back to be a hassle.
This. Especially if the vehicle is being sold for parts. Odds are the new owner wont bother with a transfer. Go to service canada. Sign a quick form that the vehicle is sold and its no longer your responsibility
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2011
5531 posts
1138 upvotes
GTA
v1p3r69 wrote:
May 21st, 2016 8:31 pm
Just sold my bike and was surprised to see on the UVIP that it is the sellers responsibity to ensure the buyer registers as the new owner.

From MTO website:
Did you know?

The vehicle will remain registered in the seller’s name until the vehicle transfer has been completed at ServiceOntario. Caution, if the vehicle transfer has not been completed, you may be pursued legally as the vehicle owner in the event of an infraction involving the vehicle.

A seller should follow up with the buyer to ensure that the vehicle transfer is completed. A seller should retain proof of the vehicle transfer. For record purposes only, a seller may visit a ServiceOntario centre to notify the ministry that their vehicle has been “Sold”. However, this does not transfer the vehicle ownership.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... used.shtml
Yes, I read that. That's one of the reason that I am wondering. Also, not sure how sellers do that even just selling to out of province legitimated buyer.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
962 upvotes
Did you sell it to the price of Nigeria? God is great my brother.
Originally Posted by uruha:
I saw a customer returning a book at Costco + telling the employee that the book was good.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12835 posts
1644 upvotes
Toronto
I sold my hyundai hybrid to someone who shipped it to Jordan.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30137 posts
1361 upvotes
Fernando Po
This brings me back to my question about selling a car to a dealer (not a trade in). What if he ships it off to some other country but never registers that with the Ministry of Transportation? Does the dealer provide proof that he purchased the car?