• Dec 17th, 2018 1:26 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 24, 2015
529 posts
328 upvotes
Durham Region

Buyer insists on getting receipt

Listed a new PS4 yesterday on kijiji and found a buyer the same day. I had it listed for $300, but I kept the bundled game that came with it.

I spoke to the buyer on the phone and she was asking for the receipt which I said I can include, but I also mentioned that they wont be able to return it because Im keeping the game, and I also let her know im selling it for more then what I paid (260+tax), so receipt would be useless to get their money back.

They did not try to haggle or lowball as the usual kijiji user and paid me asking price, but insisted on the receipt and said that was really important.

I gave them the receipt (blacked out CC info), but I am feeling kind of odd about it.

Can they use the receipt to scam me somehow? Return the opened box using my legit receipt (scam the store)? Somehow get my credit card info (go to store and ask for a new full receipt)?

Should I contact my credit card or the store I bought it from? Thoughts?
8 replies
Jan 12, 2017
555 posts
210 upvotes
Warranty.
networksend wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 10:18 pm
Listed a new PS4 yesterday on kijiji and found a buyer the same day. I had it listed for $300, but I kept the bundled game that came with it.

I spoke to the buyer on the phone and she was asking for the receipt which I said I can include, but I also mentioned that they wont be able to return it because Im keeping the game, and I also let her know im selling it for more then what I paid (260+tax), so receipt would be useless to get their money back.

They did not try to haggle or lowball as the usual kijiji user and paid me asking price, but insisted on the receipt and said that was really important.

I gave them the receipt (blacked out CC info), but I am feeling kind of odd about it.

Can they use the receipt to scam me somehow? Return the opened box using my legit receipt (scam the store)? Somehow get my credit card info (go to store and ask for a new full receipt)?

Should I contact my credit card or the store I bought it from? Thoughts?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11338 posts
6148 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yep...warranty.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Nov 24, 2015
529 posts
328 upvotes
Durham Region
warranty makes sense I suppose...

still it was weird, got asking price, no negotiation, I had 5 other low ball offers (as usual). they knew they were paying more than what I paid

if not warranty, are there any possible scams anyone heard of?
[OP]
Nov 24, 2015
529 posts
328 upvotes
Durham Region
So I went to Best Buy. You can just get the whole receipt reprinted no questions asked if you have the 1st part of it, so blacking put your info is pointless

I just showed a photo of the receipt and they printed a new one
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11338 posts
6148 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Good to know....you got another PS4 for me? I'll take the receipt too!
networksend wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 12:56 pm
So I went to Best Buy. You can just get the whole receipt reprinted no questions asked if you have the 1st part of it, so blacking put your info is pointless

[OP]
Nov 24, 2015
529 posts
328 upvotes
Durham Region
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Good to know....you got another PS4 for me? I'll take the receipt too!
I might have another lol
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11338 posts
6148 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
networksend wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 7:56 am
I might have another lol
Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3148 posts
1234 upvotes
Toronto
networksend wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 12:56 pm

So are you gonna be scammed by giving out your receipt?