Automotive

Buying a 2007 BMW 5 Series

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2016 5:04 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: didn't clarkson say that all the BMW cocks migrated over to Audi?
Yes he did :razz: but I don't take anything he says seriously. I watched TG purely for the entertainment but never if I need actual advice on buying a car.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AtlsNBP wrote: E60 M5 or go home.
Meh, the SMG is pure trash on it. Drives like someone that doesn't know how to drive manual. It downshifts fine though.
Jun 15, 2009
764 posts
217 upvotes
Vietlord wrote: I'm looking to get a used 2007 530i for $10000 or a 2009+ Genesis Sedan Tech pkg for $11000

I was wondering if the whole "owning a BMW" is expensive saying is still going on. Is it that much more expensive to upkeep a BMW 5 series vs a Hyundai Genesis?
You are comparing two very different cars. One is a very fun driving car with likely limited luxury features. The other is a luxury boat.
If you are looking to buy a car for it's name I wouldn't bother with BMW. It's like the new Civic these days. Streets are flooded with cheap 323s.
Your repairs on a BMW will be expensive if you do everything at the dealership. If you find a good mechanic and buy the parts online it's mostly reasonable. As long as you avoid the N54 FI engine (535) you should be fine. Any time after about 150,000km be prepared to shell out $1000 for a new coolant pump if it hasn't been replaced already. Other than that the engine (N53 in a 2007 530i) and the car itself are pretty solid.

As for the Genesis, I would imagine with more luxury features there are a lot more little things that can break resulting in many less expensive repairs. I read that on the older models lost of people had transmission issues. Problem with buying cars with all the fancy electronic gadgets is it's very difficult to check them all before purchase.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Get a Mazda 3. It's like a mini BMW.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
rsang39 wrote: That doesn't generalize a population of drivers. It's the equivalent of stereotyping an ethnicity because of what you experience. I've seen plenty of idiot drivers in X and Y brand but I never label someone driving a particular brand of car a douche or an idiot because that's making an assumption. You should learn not to do that; it'll make you a smarter person.
So then tell me how did bmw drivers get the tag of being douches?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
BeaverLiquor wrote: So then tell me how did bmw drivers get the tag of being douches?
probably due to boi racers Senna'ing in their ultimate driving mobile.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: So then tell me how did bmw drivers get the tag of being douches?
Variety of factors. Movies, TV shows, introduction of the M3 in the mid 80s, increasing interest in motorsport racing, tech boom of the 90's making BMWs more affordable for more people, etc. What happens is that over the course of several years people begin associating X with Y and one way or another people started developing the impression that all BMW drivers were self-righteous, pretentious drivers. As funny as it is, people will buy a BMW because that's the exact image they want to portray and that's how it starts. Personally I think it's absolutely stupid to stereotype that someone who drives X car, wears Y brand, or has some particular sticker on their car (i.e. Browning, Fox Racing, Monster etc) just because "you heard it on TV or through the internet". All you're doing is perpetuating the stereotype, making assumptions, and jumping to conclusions without bothering to do homework. That's simply my opinion however and it's largely due to the fact that I engage in evidence-based problem solving.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
rsang39 wrote: Variety of factors. Movies, TV shows, introduction of the M3 in the mid 80s, increasing interest in motorsport racing, tech boom of the 90's making BMWs more affordable for more people, etc. What happens is that over the course of several years people begin associating X with Y and one way or another people started developing the impression that all BMW drivers were self-righteous, pretentious drivers. As funny as it is, people will buy a BMW because that's the exact image they want to portray and that's how it starts. Personally I think it's absolutely stupid to stereotype that someone who drives X car, wears Y brand, or has some particular sticker on their car (i.e. Browning, Fox Racing, Monster etc) just because "you heard it on TV or through the internet". All you're doing is perpetuating the stereotype, making assumptions, and jumping to conclusions without bothering to do homework. That's simply my opinion however and it's largely due to the fact that I engage in evidence-based problem solving.
What kind of homework does one have to do to test the hypothesis of douchbaggey driverless? Just like the Corolla drivers I encounter daily I also encounter the stereotypical dbag s/rs driver, it's my own empirical evidence, it just happens others also share my view. And I don't think you can argue that things will eventually change (tastes, enemies, desires, demographics, leaders, empires, etc) just so happens Audi is now the go to car of choice of dbags.

But you seem very defensive, you don't happen to drive an Audi do you?
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I drive an Audi and I don't care what people think about me. But then again I'm also from Quebec and Asian so the perceptions on my driving just pile up :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: What kind of homework does one have to do to test the hypothesis of douchbaggey driverless? Just like the Corolla drivers I encounter daily I also encounter the stereotypical dbag s/rs driver, it's my own empirical evidence, it just happens others also share my view. And I don't think you can argue that things will eventually change (tastes, enemies, desires, demographics, leaders, empires, etc) just so happens Audi is now the go to car of choice of dbags.

But you seem very defensive, you don't happen to drive an Audi do you?
I do but that's not my point. I think the heart of your argument is the problem with some individuals today, and a big reason why a stereotypes are driven and perpetuated. A car is a car, a hat is a hat, and they don't necessarily reflect the drivers or wearers of them. Your daily life and run ins with a particular group of people, or driver of X car aren't nearly enough of a sample size to make a reasonable judgement are they? I'm not defending the brand so much as trying to understand how people develop conclusions in daily life based on minuscule evidence. You don't do anybody any favors when you judge people based on their tastes. And as I mentioned before, you won't ever become a smart person when you stereotype people either :lol:

Would make a great read for you in your spare time:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7883710447
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: I drive an Audi and I don't care what people think about me. But then again I'm also from Quebec and Asian so the perceptions on my driving just pile up :lol:
Neither do I :lol: but I find it interesting how people think on here sometimes. Lots of confirmation bias
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rsang39 wrote: I do but that's not my point.
looooooooool

shhh bb is ok
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
rsang39 wrote: I do but that's not my point. I think the heart of your argument is the problem with some individuals today, and a big reason why a stereotypes are driven and perpetuated. A car is a car, a hat is a hat, and they don't necessarily reflect the drivers or wearers of them. Your daily life and run ins with a particular group of people, or driver of X car aren't nearly enough of a sample size to make a reasonable judgement are they? I'm not defending the brand so much as trying to understand how people develop conclusions in daily life based on minuscule evidence. You don't do anybody any favors when you judge people based on their tastes. And as I mentioned before, you won't ever become a smart person when you stereotype people either :lol:

Would make a great read for you in your spare time:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7883710447
You still haven't given me an equation or a methodology to determine dbaggery.

I only skimmed through the paper but that study uses empirical evidence by studying a group of grad students to get the results, is that that much different than my empirical evidence that I see on the roads?

It's not like I make audi drivers do dbag things or Corolla drivers drive like they are in a world of their own.
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error