Automotive

Buying a 2007 BMW 5 Series

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2016 5:04 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5018 posts
2368 upvotes
Toronto
rsang39 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 2:36 pm
Variety of factors. Movies, TV shows, introduction of the M3 in the mid 80s, increasing interest in motorsport racing, tech boom of the 90's making BMWs more affordable for more people, etc. What happens is that over the course of several years people begin associating X with Y and one way or another people started developing the impression that all BMW drivers were self-righteous, pretentious drivers. As funny as it is, people will buy a BMW because that's the exact image they want to portray and that's how it starts. Personally I think it's absolutely stupid to stereotype that someone who drives X car, wears Y brand, or has some particular sticker on their car (i.e. Browning, Fox Racing, Monster etc) just because "you heard it on TV or through the internet". All you're doing is perpetuating the stereotype, making assumptions, and jumping to conclusions without bothering to do homework. That's simply my opinion however and it's largely due to the fact that I engage in evidence-based problem solving.
What kind of homework does one have to do to test the hypothesis of douchbaggey driverless? Just like the Corolla drivers I encounter daily I also encounter the stereotypical dbag s/rs driver, it's my own empirical evidence, it just happens others also share my view. And I don't think you can argue that things will eventually change (tastes, enemies, desires, demographics, leaders, empires, etc) just so happens Audi is now the go to car of choice of dbags.

But you seem very defensive, you don't happen to drive an Audi do you?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
8511 posts
1026 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I drive an Audi and I don't care what people think about me. But then again I'm also from Quebec and Asian so the perceptions on my driving just pile up :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1129 posts
430 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 3:43 pm
What kind of homework does one have to do to test the hypothesis of douchbaggey driverless? Just like the Corolla drivers I encounter daily I also encounter the stereotypical dbag s/rs driver, it's my own empirical evidence, it just happens others also share my view. And I don't think you can argue that things will eventually change (tastes, enemies, desires, demographics, leaders, empires, etc) just so happens Audi is now the go to car of choice of dbags.

But you seem very defensive, you don't happen to drive an Audi do you?
I do but that's not my point. I think the heart of your argument is the problem with some individuals today, and a big reason why a stereotypes are driven and perpetuated. A car is a car, a hat is a hat, and they don't necessarily reflect the drivers or wearers of them. Your daily life and run ins with a particular group of people, or driver of X car aren't nearly enough of a sample size to make a reasonable judgement are they? I'm not defending the brand so much as trying to understand how people develop conclusions in daily life based on minuscule evidence. You don't do anybody any favors when you judge people based on their tastes. And as I mentioned before, you won't ever become a smart person when you stereotype people either :lol:

Would make a great read for you in your spare time:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7883710447
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1129 posts
430 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 3:55 pm
I drive an Audi and I don't care what people think about me. But then again I'm also from Quebec and Asian so the perceptions on my driving just pile up :lol:
Neither do I :lol: but I find it interesting how people think on here sometimes. Lots of confirmation bias
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
21149 posts
10577 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rsang39 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 4:03 pm
I do but that's not my point.
looooooooool


shhh bb is ok
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5018 posts
2368 upvotes
Toronto
rsang39 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 4:03 pm
I do but that's not my point. I think the heart of your argument is the problem with some individuals today, and a big reason why a stereotypes are driven and perpetuated. A car is a car, a hat is a hat, and they don't necessarily reflect the drivers or wearers of them. Your daily life and run ins with a particular group of people, or driver of X car aren't nearly enough of a sample size to make a reasonable judgement are they? I'm not defending the brand so much as trying to understand how people develop conclusions in daily life based on minuscule evidence. You don't do anybody any favors when you judge people based on their tastes. And as I mentioned before, you won't ever become a smart person when you stereotype people either :lol:

Would make a great read for you in your spare time:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7883710447
You still haven't given me an equation or a methodology to determine dbaggery.

I only skimmed through the paper but that study uses empirical evidence by studying a group of grad students to get the results, is that that much different than my empirical evidence that I see on the roads?

It's not like I make audi drivers do dbag things or Corolla drivers drive like they are in a world of their own.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

Top