Shopping Discussion

Buying on Amazon.com (US) with Canada CC?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2015 9:55 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 5, 2005
863 posts
1240 upvotes
Québec

Buying on Amazon.com (US) with Canada CC?

Hi,

It is possible to buy something on Amazon.com (US) have the item shipped somewhere into US but buying with my Canadian Visa?

Thanks
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1358 posts
1000 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'll throw in MY "Yes" as well.

Wonder if anyone is going to come in and post "No" just to throw things off?
Jul 20, 2008
19 posts
16 upvotes
Kincardine
No you cannot. It sucks I know but hopefully they add the functionality soon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
YES - if what you are buying is fulfilled by Amazon AND the address you are shipping to is in your profile.

NO - if it is being sent directly from an Amazon partner who insists on only shipping to your cc billing address
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
Maddog` wrote: No you cannot. It sucks I know but hopefully they add the functionality soon.
As others have stated, yes you can. I do it all the time.
macnut wrote: YES - if what you are buying is fulfilled by Amazon AND the address you are shipping to is in your profile.

NO - if it is being sent directly from an Amazon partner who insists on only shipping to your cc billing address
Never had that problem. When I buy from Marketplace sellers, I always have it shipped to a receiving location in the US due to the uncertainty of costs coming over the border. I have done this multiple times with multiple sellers without any issue whatsoever. I don't see why it would be any different than ordering directly from Amazon as they use the same information that Amazon has on your account and the same checkout.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Maddog` wrote: No you cannot. It sucks I know but hopefully they add the functionality soon.
You may have tried to purchase something that does not ship to Canada.

I can tell you for sure that I have been shopping on Amazon.com since 2003 using my Canadian credit card and address without problems.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
Yup, I do it all the time. Never had a problem. Shipped items to Canada, and all over USA.
Be Happy
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
Jucius Maximus wrote: You may have tried to purchase something that does not ship to Canada.

I can tell you for sure that I have been shopping on Amazon.com since 2003 using my Canadian credit card and address without problems.
The original question was about having something shipped within the US not to Canada. So his answer was completely wrong yet he is the only one who was thanked in this thread. Hmm.

Just noticed the post above his, does that explain it?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Cheap Cat wrote: The original question was about having something shipped within the US not to Canada. So his answer was completely wrong yet he is the only one who was thanked in this thread. Hmm.

Just noticed the post above his, does that explain it?
Good point. To re-answer the question, I did once pay on Amazon.com with my Canadian credit card and have it shipped to a friend in the US. I don't remember if it was actually sold by Amazon.
- casual gastronomist -
Aug 24, 2014
225 posts
243 upvotes
Yup they do accept Canadian credit card for US & Canadian purchases. I just bought some stuff last week.
Funny thing is, the first time I added a parcel pickup service address in US, Amazon placed a hold on my account because they got suspicious of my account being hacked. I had to tell them that it was actually me that added the address and planned to pick it up.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
lcyCold wrote: Yup they do accept Canadian credit card for US & Canadian purchases. I just bought some stuff last week.
Funny thing is, the first time I added a parcel pickup service address in US, Amazon placed a hold on my account because they got suspicious of my account being hacked. I had to tell them that it was actually me that added the address and planned to pick it up.
Never had that problem either and I have used two parcel pickup locations.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7007 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
toram23901 wrote: I'll throw in MY "Yes" as well.

Wonder if anyone is going to come in and post "No" just to throw things off?
Yes, it's possible but isn't, I have successfully never done it.
Sep 5, 2005
863 posts
1240 upvotes
Québec
Thanks all, i'm ready to make my order but i have a question:

Here is my order summary just right before "confirm order"

[IMG]http://pages.videotron.com/maculosa/order1.jpg[/IMG]

Look like i have no taxes for my order, I read what's wrote under the * and :

Your Order: Tax and Seller Information
Your order contains one or more items from an Amazon.com partner and may be subject to local sales tax, depending on the state to which the item is being shipped.

The following products are sold by Majestic Auto Parts:

-

The following products are sold by DCHAUTOMOTIVE:

-

Unless otherwise noted, items sold by Amazon.com LLC are subject to sales tax in select states in accordance with the applicable laws of that state. If your order contains one or more items from a seller other than Amazon.com LLC, it may be subject to state and local sales tax, depending upon the seller's business policies and the location of their operations.
We do not collect sales or use taxes in all states. For states imposing sales or use taxes, your purchase is subject to use tax unless it is specifically exempt from taxation. Your purchase is not exempt merely because it is made over the Internet or by other remote means. Many states require purchasers to file a sales/use tax return at the end of the year reporting all of the taxable purchases that were not taxed and to pay tax on those purchases. Details of how to file these returns may be found at the websites of your respective taxing authorities.

Please note: The sales tax indicated on the checkout form is an estimate. The sales tax ultimately charged to your credit card will be calculated when your credit card charge is authorized and will reflect applicable state and local taxes.

Look like i could have taxes charged to my CC after i placed my order?
I'm not sure to understand if i will pay taxes or not. (my english is not really good)

My items will be shipped to Texas.

Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
If one of your 3rd party merchants is located in Texas you may be charged sales tax.
Amazon is usually pretty good at estimating taxes correctly based on where the merchant is located so you'll most likely pay whatever is listed at checkout.
Sep 5, 2005
863 posts
1240 upvotes
Québec
Both my item are not shipped from Taxes, one from California and the other from Arizona.
So if amazon.com say 0 taxes it will pretty sure i will not pay additionnal taxes when my CC will be authorized?
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
Maculosa wrote: Hi,

It is possible to buy something on Amazon.com (US) have the item shipped somewhere into US but buying with my Canadian Visa?

Thanks
Yes and no. It depends on whether the item in question is allowed to be sold. Some greedy manufacturers restrict the sale of their items in that way, forcing you to buy them from Canadian retailers.

But if not, then yes you can order and pay for things from Amazon.com to be shipped or mailed to Canada. Your credit card company will likely charge some expensive currency exchange rate on the transaction.

The next issue becomes importing through customs.

If it's Amazon themselves, they have a method of collecting customs fees and taxes up front, then refunding you later if the fees turn out to be lower. It's a nice way if you want peace of mind that you won't get dinged additional amounts at the border. But it can take a long time to receive the refund, if at all.

In your case, it looks like a third party, so you will be open to various risks for your shipment. It could get help up at customs, then you could find yourself paying some hefty fees to get it released. You'll have to pay federal and provincial taxes, plus various handling fees.

One method that used to work for me is to purchase guaranteed fast delivery. That way the courier, say UPS, is highly interested in getting your package delivered quickly so do a better job of precalculating it so they can rush it through customs. For me, it would sometimes work out that paying extra for the fast shipping would offset the collection fees of a slow delivery.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2087 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
Maculosa wrote: Both my item are not shipped from Taxes, one from California and the other from Arizona.
So if amazon.com say 0 taxes it will pretty sure i will not pay additionnal taxes when my CC will be authorized?
Yes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)